FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Jungle's Outpost
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
Jungle's Outpost
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 4:26 pm   Permalink

Welcome back to the carving section! The PNG mask is the tops, I'm looking forward to seeing that one all finished up with the hair and bonework.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 07:21 am   Permalink

Aloha JohnnyP!
I wasn't sure what to use for the hair on that one. Rope, twine, or I do have access to real horse hair.
btw, I am watching your "Build a canoe and sail" thread. Keep us posted.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 11:11 am   Permalink

Hey JT!!
Nice to see some new pics. Looks like you've been hard at work. Love that Maori. I've started one recently myself. Keep at it. I love your work.

Coming to the NW Tiki Kon this year? We need more carvers.

TikisbySeamus.com

[ This Message was edited by: seamus 2007-02-23 11:12 ]

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 3:30 pm   Permalink

Aloha Seamus! Dig your concrete Moai especially that big one in the Gallery next to the fence.
I doubt if we'll be coming up this year. Times are tough. Thanks for asking though, I would if I could.
And you keep up the good work too my friend.
Aloha!

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 3:47 pm   Permalink

Aloha JT!
Nice work, but the Brooding Tiki is fantastic!! Did you ever complete that Marquesan style pole carving you were talking about doing last summer? BTW your tiki mug is one of my favorites, but it's so large that one drink from it usually gets me pretty bombed, not that there's anything wrong with that !

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 4:25 pm   Permalink

Really nice carving JT...the reptile tongue on the PNG is quite fabulous. All of your
stuff is very cool...nice imaginitive work.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 06:51 am   Permalink

Hey JT, you are really going crazy way out there where ever you are. I'm Really loving your stuff as I always have. I Know that I can expect from you NOTHING Ordinary and that is excellent. Every piece you do comes from the heart and not from a patern used a hundred times. I Like your stand on duplication. So it's the Peyote, is it? I think you have the ancients dancing in your head and in your heart!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 09:16 am   Permalink

Bill, Bill, Bill. We haven't heard from you in a while. When will we see your collections/art? I haven't started on the Marq, although I would love to do a piece simliar to Onatiki's. Ya' like "Brooding" eh? I just put one coat of marine varnish on it so it's a little darker than that image you see now.
Hey, you can always put another straw in the Minnie's mug and share it if it's too much. mmmm, I think I'll fix me a strong one tonite.

Hey congatiki from the northwoods. Seems everybody likes something different. I dig your birdman with the reptile. Primitive is good. Thanks!!

Benz, The Wizard of Wood. You know me well. My moods sometimes overpower my heart. It's too bad peyote is illegal for us whities. It can help a man (if taken in the appropriate setting, AND, if he can handle the truth) see himself and where he's going. Could it be?, I'm part Indian?

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, the ancients ARE dancing in my head.
Carve on carvers. Dance on dancers. Stir in a little Peyote in your breakfast cereal. DIG.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 8:23 pm   Permalink

Digger, you probably are some part indian, I think it shows in your work and your love of the land and dirt, you love dirt, the kind in the ground. Do you know for sure? Do we ever know anything for sure?
My grandmother was full blooded Penobscott from Caribou Maine and my grandpa was half Penobscott. So that makes me Heinz 57, all mixed up, true American halfbreed. Thene I was adopted by my Aunt and uncle so I am my own brother and my own cousin and I learned all this from a peyote tree who visited me one night...
It's the ancients again, this time on the Indian side. They want a totem pole and I had to decline, bastards, they Know I don't do that stuff any more, well maybe a small one I could let them mess around with..
Go do some more digging, Digger.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 9:35 pm   Permalink

WOW, that is a great story Benz. You have Indian blood. Now I know the spirit is with you, AND it manifests itself in your art.
Although peyote is a cacti. Did you have a dream? If you want to talk offline, send me a PM.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 11:21 am   Permalink

Here's the finished King Kamehameha.

Now.........on to my next.

Actually he's finished for carving. With Polynesiac's advice, I'm going to add color. The headress will be decked out, same color as feathers, orange/red, and yellow on the very top.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2007-03-25 17:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader 2007-03-27 22:45 ]

Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 1:04 pm   Permalink

Great pics - i missed your last post too with all the masks. Great stuff. THat last PNG mask is out-of-sight! Did you carve the masks with a chainsaw rough out then dive in with chisels?
I always thought a nice thick rope (like1"+ diameter) unraveled would make good hair for masks, but I've never tried it. or would know how to attach it.
That king is REALLY good - you could go "legit" carving on us (like carving real people n'stuff) Are you going to add any color to it or let it grey naturally?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 5:54 pm   Permalink

Hey Polynesiac, that PNG was carved with nothin' but chainsaw. All my carvings are....pretty much...cept for a little around the noses.
Thanks for the rope idea. I hadn't thought of unraveling. I'll try it.
I'll probably leave the King just like he is, since it's palmwood. How's things goin' down south?

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 6:12 pm   Permalink

JT...the King is a very cool piece. Great idea and expertly carved. Always fun to see something
that's a little different...and very good. Your last several posts are very enjoyable. Keep em coming.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-13 6:49 pm   Permalink

pssssssst....happy (two days late) birthday vic!!!!

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation