FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Scary Movies for Halloween?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Scary Movies for Halloween?
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 10:56 am   Permalink

My Pics Are:

Halloween 1 & 2
The Fog
The Thing
Terror Train

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 1:25 pm   Permalink

Of course the Dunwich Horror has a great score... it was done by none other than LES BAXTER!!!

I just heard it for the first time thanks to a fellow TC'er. Wow.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 1:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-16 13:25, tikifish wrote:
Of course the Dunwich Horror has a great score... it was done by none other than LES BAXTER!!!

wow, now i feel dumb. i had no idea. i'll have even more appreciation for it the next time i listen.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 4:58 pm   Permalink

"Mr. Sardonicus", a very old movie about a guy with a grotesque, ear to ear grin (sardonicus means smile in Greek I think).

When he realized he buried his dad with a winning lottery ticket in his pocket, he dug up the corpse, which had the ear to ear grin from rigor mortis or something. The shock made his face do the same thing. His teeth are clenched tight forever.

The scariest part of the movie is when you hear him eating behind a closed door. A lot of slurping noises because all he can eat is soup.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 5:53 pm   Permalink

Just a list of some of my favorites... some are classics, others are really bad but somehow I found them entertaining...I offer commentary on the bizarre/unexpected choices.

- Psycho (1960)
- Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
- Dracula (1931)
- Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)absolutely brilliant in 3-D
- American Werewolf in London (1981)
- Psycho 2 (1983) entertaining and pretty well done
- Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (1956)
- Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) before they turned Freddy into a stand-up comic this one scared the hell out of me...still does
- Creepshow (1982) a tribute to the EC Comics of the 1950's, not a masterpiece or even very well done but still an entertaining Halloween movie!
- Shriek of the Mutilated (1974) this is without a doubt the biggest piece of crap on my list...students set out on a college field trip to find the dangerous and elusive yeti and end up getting killed off one by one...bad acting, bad special effects, bad script (if they even used one), bad cinematography - I love it! In my opinion one of the worst films ever made! But hey, it's got a surprise evil cult ending and the classic annoying tune Popcorn by Hot Butter!
- The Skull (1965) Christopher Lee & Peter Cushing in a tale about the stolen skull of the Marquis de Sade and it's evil and deadly powers. Some cheesy effects of the skull crashing through a display case and levitating around the room on monofilament but it is so fun!
- Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (1972) A bunch of actors go to an island for a seance and end up raising the dead - good B zombie flick but actually pretty creepy!
- Carnival of Souls (1962) A classic low budget horror film and also kinda creepy!
- House on Haunted Hill (1959) Vincent Price in a fairly watchable "group of people spending the night in a haunted house film" - good Halloween viewing.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 6:23 pm   Permalink

Yes, the prolific Les Baxter did a lot of AIP scores, including the beach movies (pretty scary), "The Raven," and Mario Bava's "Black Sabbath." See, Tiki = Horror and Horror = Tiki. No, that's kind of a big stretch, huh. Ok, well, not really.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
trustar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 8:38 pm   Permalink

I lean towards the "extreme" horror films that are not high dollar productions. Favorite the give me the willies are as follows:

Lucio Fulci's Zombies 2 (still have nightmares from this one)& Cannibal Holocost.

Great popcorn eatin scaries are of course
The Exorcist and From Dust Till Dawn

Chow down folks

Trustar

View Profile of trustar Send a personal message to trustar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 10:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-16 17:53, johntiki wrote:
- Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954)absolutely brilliant in 3-D

Yes, 3-D movies rock, and Creature From the Black Lagoon is one of the best! I'm such a 3-d movie geek I actually bought these LCD glasses that connect to my DVD player so I can watch them at home. It really works, too, not like those red-blue glasses.

3-D movies are hard to come by because they haven't been commercially released in this format but there is a small cult audience that trades them on DVD-R so I have a few great horror flicks -- Creature... as well as It Came From Outer Space, House of Wax (with Vincent Price and a young Charles Bronson), Dial M for Murder, and Andy Warhol's Frankenstein.

If anyone here is into 3-D and wants to trade movies email me.

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-16 10:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-16 16:58, kctiki wrote:
"Mr. Sardonicus", a very old movie about a guy with a grotesque, ear to ear grin (sardonicus means smile in Greek I think).

Another classic William Castle flick. If you are interested in B movies try and pick up a copy of his autobiography "Step Right Up! I'm Gonna Scare The Pants Off America." It's out of print but you can find used copies:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0886876575/ref=lpr_g_1/103-4628184-0088644?v=glance&s=books

The things he did to promote his movies were hysterical, often better than the movies themselves.

For Mr. Sardonicus, he created something called "The Punishment Poll" moviegoers were given glow in the dark "thumbs up/thumbs down" signs and right before the last reel audiences were asked to vote whether Sardonicus should live or die. They shot both endings but audiences were always bloodthirsty, so the ending where he lives has NEVER been seen.

The first "interactive" movie!

William Castle's original version of 13 Ghosts is available on DVD and it comes with a "Ghost Viewer" just like audiences were given to see the "hidden" ghosts in the movie.

For The Tingler, staring Vincent Price, he had theater seats wired to give small electrical shocks during certain parts of the movie. Genius!

I wish they still did stuff like this today.

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hina
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-17 11:59 am   Permalink

As a huge horror movie buff, I can safely say that Exorcist 3 is the only film that I cannot watch alone. Something about demon possession creeps me out, I guess.

Otherwise, I love love love old "scary" movies:
Creature From the Black Lagoon - my all time fave. Has anyone played the slot machine yet? I'm addicted.
Thirteen Ghosts (the original of course)
Horror Hotel
The Haunting (original)
House on Haunted Hill - anything with V. Price works for me.

Something about black and white that adds to the creepiness I think.

They just don't make 'em like they used to.

~H

View Profile of Hina Send a personal message to Hina      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-17 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-16 22:47, TheMuggler wrote:

Another classic William Castle flick. If you are interested in B movies try and pick up a copy of his autobiography "Step Right Up! I'm Gonna Scare The Pants Off America."

Muggler, thanks for the tip on the book, "...I'm Gonna Scare the Pants Off America", I'll order it today.

Mr. Sardonicus certainly scared my sister & I when we were kids. Dad let us stay up late to watch it with him & got pissed off when we were too scared to go into the kitchen and make him some popcorn during the commercials.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-10-17 12:47 pm   Permalink

I allways thinks you can't go wrong with watching "Carry on Screaming", 60's Brit-horror-comedy at its best.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-17 4:27 pm   Permalink

And throw a few Hammer films on top of that, say, "Horror of Dracula" or "Quatermass and the Pit," and a couple of pints of Guinness. Per person.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-17 7:48 pm   Permalink

did someone say Guinness?

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-17 9:50 pm   Permalink

The only movies that really scare me are ones where objects fly around of their own accord. Poltergeist, Amityville Horror (well, the book at least). Yeesh. If I think a movie's gonna have things flying around guided by unseen hands...I avoid it like the plague. Scares the bejeezus out of me! I have enough nightmares about that sort of stuff without having to see it on the screen. Werewolves? Bah, keep the door locked and stay inside. Aliens? Ditto. Demons? Stay away from the Ouiji board. A large blunt object (a tiki maybe?) rises up in the air and flies at you from across the room?! How the hell you gonna guard against that? God knows who lived where you live before you did! And what happened to them?! They could still be around...

Some favorites:
The Legend of Boggy Creek - First saw it as a kid and will still catch myself wondering if Bigfoot is real when I'm out in the woods by myself, sober.

Creature from the Black Lagoon - Classic. The "tikiest" scary movie that I can think of off the top of my head.

Night of the Living Dead - It's a cult classic for a reason. That it's in B&W is the icing on the cake. Creepy...

Requiem for a Vampire - Jean Rollin's vampire movies may not be all that scary but they are a real treat to watch with artsy cinematography and phenomenal soundtracks. Outstanding flicks. Just stay away from Mssr. Rollin's "Zombie Lake" which is possibly the worst movie of all time. No...really.

Andy Warhol presents: Flesh for Frankenstein; and AW presents: Blood for Dracula - These two movies are "must haves" for anyone with even a smidgeon of interest in quirky alternative cinema. Sexy, smart and funny. Especially Blood for Dracula. I see that they're a little expensive on Amazon. Ya might wanna watch for them on ebay if so inclined. 5 stars (each).

Them! - Sheriff Matt Dillon battles giant ants from the bowels of the nuclear contaminated earth. Made me scared of the woods as a kid. Later, as a teenager, I saw "Legend of Boggy Creek" and got scared of the woods again. Seeing "Deliverance" as a young man cemented it in my mind that the woods are not for me.

If I really wanted to have a creepy Halloween I think I'd just do a "One Step Beyond" and "The Outer Limits" marathon. Nothing IMHO captured the paranoia of Cold War America like these two series did.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation