FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-07 08:31 am   Permalink

A few over the wall shots from @AtDisneyAgain on twitter:

Looks like some rockwork was added. Note the model of the tiki off to the side.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-09 4:03 pm   Permalink

Floats are going in!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4cyw5rCUAQc7A4.jpg

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-12-16 12:28 am   Permalink

I couldn't get any shots behind the curtain at the work in the Great Ceremonial House lobby, but I took a variety of shots on Wednesday ...

Parking lots are being used as staging areas for construction.

A view of the pool area from the second floor of the GCH.

The volcano is apparently being downsized.

A shot of the entire resort from the beach at the Grand Floridian.

A Dole Whip at the new Pineapple Lanai helps me forget the construction just a little.

Dole Whip shirts and glasses in the Boutiki.

A Shag print and other cool Adventureland merch makes me forget a little bit more.

Enchanted Tiki Room merch by Kevin & Jody is still available.

After a few Backscratchers at the Tambu Lounge: "What construction?"

Next to Capt. Cook's, the future site of Trader Sam's Grog Grotto is totally walled off. The latest report calls for a late March opening.

Meanwhile, Disney has announced new details on the DVC villas and bungalows:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2014/12/new-details-announced-for-disneys-polynesian-villas-and-bungalows/

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-17 2:25 pm   Permalink

Lobby should be open thursday or friday, from what I hear.

mikehooker

Posted: 2014-12-17 2:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-12-16 00:28, Hurricane Hayward wrote:

Next to Capt. Cook's, the future site of Trader Sam's Grog Grotto is totally walled off. The latest report calls for a late March opening.

Fingers crossed for no delays... would be a nice stop after the Mai Kai wedding in April before heading back home.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2014-12-18 12:28 am   Permalink

The DVC Central site, which is considered pretty authoritative, is reporting that the bungalows are tentatively scheduled to begin accepting guests (both cash and Disney Vacation Club) on April 1. DVC sales will likely start the second week of January.

So it appears that a late March opening of Trader Sam's would coincide with this schedule.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki-Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-18 11:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-12-18 00:28, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
So it appears that a late March opening of Trader Sam's would coincide with this schedule.

Oh man, I'm going to be at WDW March 30 - April 3...please please please please please please

View Profile of Loki-Tiki Send a personal message to Loki-Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2014-12-19 11:14 pm   Permalink

The new lobby was unveiled today ...

Credit: WDW News Today

Photos:
http://wdwnt.com/blog/2014/12/photos-new-lobby-at-disneys-polynesian-village-resort-unveiled/

Video (walk through):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZMW7bkBcl8&feature=youtu.be

Video (dedication ceremony):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYggWeLMsBU&feature=youtu.be

While not officially finished, the lobby is now functional. It will not be considered complete until the spring, when the entire remodel of the hotel is finished.

I love the lighting. Can't wait to see it at night. The artwork is pretty cool. The water feature is underwhelming, but I guess I'll wait to see it with the Tiki on top before I pass judgement.

Pineappleman11
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-21 07:30 am   Permalink

The lobby looks cool. Any news on when Trader Sam's Grog Grotto will be opening? Everything I have read says 2015 --but not specific dates.
We are heading to Disneyworld in the middle of March and I'm really hoping it will be open by then.

View Profile of Pineappleman11 Send a personal message to Pineappleman11  Goto the website of Pineappleman11     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pineappleman11
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-21 09:38 am   Permalink

I'm hearing from TikiMan that is probably the end of March ....Two weeks after I'm in Orlando.

Damn.

View Profile of Pineappleman11 Send a personal message to Pineappleman11  Goto the website of Pineappleman11     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2014-12-22 12:02 am   Permalink

A boatload of photos from Mouse Steps ...
http://www.mousesteps.com/extra-features-mainmenu-64/parkresort-updates-mainmenu-65/1493-disney-s-polynesian-village-resort-lobby-opens-with-new-look-smaller-water-feature-dvc-bungalows-to-open-april-1-2015-photos-video

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-22 08:30 am   Permalink

Some nice stuff, but also a lot of "restrained", aka bland, hotel decor. Especially the waterfall. In the olden days that would have been a tall tropical habitat of plants and Tikis - I mean this is DISNEY! - but this little knob there in the middle of the huge space reminds me a bit of Stonehenge in "Spinal Tap"

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2014-12-23 12:28 am   Permalink

Another bunch of photos from Inside the Magic:
http://www.insidethemagic.net/2014/12/walt-disney-world-unveils-new-polynesian-village-resort-lobby-look-with-more-seating-smaller-waterfall/

Sven, you're not the first person to make the Spinal Tap analogy regarding the fountain. I read somewhere that the Tiki won't be placed on top until the official completion of the DVC units around April 1 (and hopefully Trader Sam's opening).

Hopefully they'll get the measurements of that correct and we'll get a 12-foot Tiki, not a 12-inch Tiki.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-25 10:25 pm   Permalink

My new wife and I went to Walt Disney World for the first time for our honeymoon this past September, and the underwhelming nature of a lot of hotel lobbies was something I noticed.

The absolute best hotel we saw (but sadly didn't stay at) was Wilderness Lodge, which nailed the National Parks Rustic aesthetic and had lots of interesting spaces and amenities. It actually helped inspire us to finally go to Yellowstone for our vacation next year. The second best was where we stayed, at the Port Orleans French Quarter. The theming and atmosphere was fantastic.

The Grand Floridian was gorgeous, but a bit sterile. I love Victoriana even more than Tiki, and get what they were doing, but after the initial "WOW" wore off it seemed like a rather overpriced and underwhelming hotel. The Contemporary was... what it was. I assume the main appeal is location and nostalgia.

The Polynesian we saw mid-construction, so we couldn't make a fair assessment of it at the time. Seeing this new lobby, though, doesn't surprise me one bit... Attractive, nice textures and fabrics and art on the walls, but not a lot of thematic depth. I'd expect to see something similar in any relatively nice hotel. It would still be worth visiting to go to Spirit of Aloha and Trader Sam's, but I still wouldn't be able to justify the expense of staying there when something like French Quarter is much more affordable and more successful as a themed space.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward

Posted: 2014-12-26 01:14 am   Permalink

EnchantedTikiGoth, you have some good points, especially about the Grand Floridian. I too consider it somewhat sterile, at least the lobby. The grounds are well-done and the restaurants stellar. During the holidays, the lobby becomes quite a bit warmer with the addition of the massive tree and gingerbread house. Here's a shot from my trip earlier this month:

Wilderness Lodge is great, but my favorite is hands-down Animal Kingdom Lodge ...

It's also the newest of the deluxe resorts, so you have to take that into account. No matter how much they refurbish the Poly and Contemporary lobbies, they're stuck with structures that are more than 40 years old. But you can see that the intent of the new Great Ceremonial House design is to open up the space much like the two lodges.

And I've heard that you can now clearly see the castle in the Magic Kingdom from inside the GCH, which I'm sure is no accident. A large part of the premium price you pay for those deluxe resorts, besides the larger rooms and amenities, is the close proximity to the parks. I'm a fan of Port Orleans, and the price is certainly much better, but it's quite a haul from the parks.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation