FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
Disney's Polynesian Resort, Orlando, FL (hotel)
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-26 09:21 am   Permalink

Thanks for the gorgeous photos!

Quote:

On 2014-12-26 01:14, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
EnchantedTikiGoth, you have some good points, especially about the Grand Floridian. I too consider it somewhat sterile, at least the lobby. The grounds are well-done and the restaurants stellar.

That was one of the things for us: besides the lovely Queen Anne-style architecture and Victorian beachfront resort idea, it didn't seem to have a whole lot of "there" there, especially after we had already been staying at French Quarter and seen Wilderness Lodge. We didn't try the restaurants, because slapping the words "fine dining" on something does not, in itself, make us want to eat there.

Quote:
But you can see that the intent of the new Great Ceremonial House design is to open up the space much like the two lodges.

And that makes a lot of sense. If Disney's emphasis is on open, hotel-like spaces rather than thematically rich spaces, then the renovations fit in well with that. I just happen to prefer the thematically rich spaces. I think the blend works best at Wilderness Lodge, whose real-life models have lobbies like that (i.e.: Old Faithful Lodge, Many Glacier and Glacier Park Lodges) as an intrinsic part of their architectural statement, then filled with interesting smaller spaces and artifact replicas, then complimented by well-done exterior spaces. French Quarter doesn't even need much of a lobby to speak of, because of what is in keeping with the theme. That said, I'm not exactly sure what you WOULD do with the Polynesian then. I haven't been inside a whole lot of Tahitian royal assembly halls.

Quote:
And I've heard that you can now clearly see the castle in the Magic Kingdom from inside the GCH, which I'm sure is no accident. A large part of the premium price you pay for those deluxe resorts, besides the larger rooms and amenities, is the close proximity to the parks. I'm a fan of Port Orleans, and the price is certainly much better, but it's quite a haul from the parks.

That makes sense too, though I honestly didn't feel it was THAT far from French Quarter to three of the four parks (the outlier being Animal Kingdom). WDW had better bus service than my city

Yay Disney! One of my favourite subjects

[ This Message was edited by: EnchantedTikiGoth 2014-12-26 09:22 ]

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-26 11:38 am   Permalink

Saw the new lobby on Friday.

It's not bad.

It's just not very good.

The Polynesian has lost it's organic feeling and how it emulated the tiki establishments of the 50s and 60s by bringing the outside INSIDE so as to provide for controlled escapism. It's a shame. I'll miss the resort lobby that I fell in love with and the lobby that lasted nearly 45 years.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-26 10:00 pm   Permalink

EPCOTExplorer, let's hope the imagineers make up for the so-so design with Trader Sam's. It seems like they were going for functionality over the "wow factor" as discussed above, which is a shame.

EnchantedTikiGoth, I've heard the new DVC rooms at the Grand Floridian are a step above the rest, but of course they come at a hefty price. My favorite whimsical touch may be another new addition, the Alice in Wonderland themed water play area located off to the DVC side of the resort. We'll be eating at Narcoossee's on our next visit, but staying at French Quarter.

Yes, I agree about the theming of the Wilderness Lodge. Check out the lobby of the nearby DVC wing if you get a chance. Also, they offer free tours on Saturday mornings:
http://www.extrawdwmagic.com/?p=7483

But I digress. This is a thread about the Polynesian. So let's mourn the original lobby with this flashback photo from a trip in December 2010 ...

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-27 07:27 am   Permalink

Quote:
Check out the lobby of the nearby DVC wing if you get a chance.

I'm also a train nerd, so we definitely went over to see the Carolwood room

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-27 09:52 am   Permalink

I actually think that Sam's will be the saving grace of the whole project. The original Sam's is utterly fantastic- I can only see them improving upon the original, honestly.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-27 8:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-12-27 09:52, EPCOTExplorer wrote:
I actually think that Sam's will be the saving grace of the whole project. The original Sam's is utterly fantastic- I can only see them improving upon the original, honestly.

I'm torn on that one because I love Trader Sam's and I'm a HUGE 20,000 Leagues/Jules Verne fan, but we're not planning on going back to WDW. It'll be awesome, but unless we win a contest of the lottery, my chances of seeing it for myself are slim. I'm going to have to sweet talk my friends who go down there more regularly to pick up at least the Nautilus mug for me.

xtine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-01-02 1:43 pm   Permalink

I hope we see the effort in Trader Sam's. I'm going in November of this year so I'm also hoping it open by then. In the meantime, I think its time to put together a collage of all my old lobby family pictures!

View Profile of xtine Send a personal message to xtine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-03 07:43 am   Permalink

Trader Sam's should be open by March/April.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-07 9:26 pm   Permalink

New concept art and details released today on Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows, including the name for what's likely to be the most-sought after DVC units ... Bora Bora Bungalows.

Current DVC members can buy into the bungalows and "deluxe studios" beginning Jan. 12. General sales will begin Feb. 9. The first phase is scheduled to open April 1.

Each of the 20 bungalows will sleep eight and feature two bedrooms, two full bathrooms, a kitchen, washer and dryer, and large dining and living room spaces. Private decks will include a plunge pool and plenty of room to watch the Electrical Water Pageant and Magic Kingdom fireworks, complete with the soundtrack pumped through an individual sound system.

Also released, concept art of the new Lava Pool ...

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2015/01/new-concept-art-and-details-on-disneys-polynesian-village-resort-dvc-sale-date-announced/

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/the-villas-at-disneys-polynesian-resort/news/07jan2015-disney-vacation-club-bora-bora-bungalows-and-deluxe-studios-at-disney%27s-polynesian-village-resort-begins-sales-next-week.htm

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-polynesian-timeshare-20150107-story.html

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-08 10:05 am   Permalink

The interior of the bungalows are more mid-century than tiki, in some ways.

It's a lovely choice, regardless.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-09 12:41 am   Permalink

A new resort map has been released ...

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-09 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-09 00:41, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
A new resort map has been released ...

Kinda digging the red on the roofs, despite it being much brighter than how the roofs look in person.

They match the couches in the GCH, meanwhile.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-09 9:51 pm   Permalink

Fans of the original Polynesian Village Resort, circa 1971, may want to make plans to be at The Hukilau in June 2015. More info to come soon.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-10 10:23 pm   Permalink

According to "preliminary unconfirmed pricing information," expect to pay between $2,100 and $2,900 per night, depending on season, for one of the bungalows.
http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/the-villas-at-disneys-polynesian-resort/news/09jan2015-how-much-you-can-expect-to-pay-for-the-new-bora-bora-bungalows-at-disney's-polynesian-village-resort.htm

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-01-12 09:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-01-09 21:51, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Fans of the original Polynesian Village Resort, circa 1971, may want to make plans to be at The Hukilau in June 2015. More info to come soon.

*raises eyebrows*

I'm thinking original sign on display..... ........or something more....?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation