FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Does anyone know about the Kapu-Kai in CA?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Does anyone know about the Kapu-Kai in CA?
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-12 2:54 pm   Permalink

What a great thread! Thank you bigbrotiki, Kapukaison, and welcome dancingcat. The pictures and history are great.

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-12 4:55 pm   Permalink

Hi all. We messed around with the salad dressing and think we've hit the right combo of ingredients. My dad was the only one to make this dressing and he never wrote it down. Once, a long time ago, my wife made it with him and jotted some notes down that are now long lost. As far as we can tell, this was the house dressing in the dining room at the Kapu Kai so give it a try.

1 Clove garlic
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
1 pinch Ajinomoto (Mono Sodium Glutamate)
1/2 cup vegetable oil

In the old days, my dad would throw the garlic in the blender and it would get chopped up when everything combined. Today, I put the garlic through a garlic press first. Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a blender. Pulse to puree the garlic. Finally, drizzle in the oil to make the dressing.

Couple of notes: When I say a pinch of MSG I really mean it. We're talking less than 1/8 of a teaspoon here. Nothing can replace or replicate the sweet/sour/salty taste of MSG so if a little doesn't bother you, try it this way first. If you are sensitive to this, replace the pinch of MSG with 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of kosher salt.

There you have it! This recipe has never been written down before and many people used to tell my dad he should bottle it and sell it. He always refused because of the MSG. If someone starts making a million bucks on Kapu Kai salad dressing, I want my cut!

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 12:45 pm   Permalink

By the way, please feel free to use the photos and material. Please give credit to Oceanic Arts, too, for the vintage pics.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Von Zombie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-16 4:56 pm   Permalink

Thank you all for sharing your photos and comments on the Kapu-Kai. I really enjoy the history and architecture of the old tiki establishments. Being a former avid bowler it made Kapu-Kai story more interesting. There are not a lot of old tiki restaurants/bars I can remember in nor-cal I envy the history of so-cal tiki .

View Profile of Dr. Von Zombie Send a personal message to Dr. Von Zombie  Email Dr. Von Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-16 6:53 pm   Permalink

This thread is incredible, I am very touched by the story, and encouraged that in tragedy, the strong survive, what a lovely note from Dancingcat. Thank you all for sharing. I remember that terrible flood but I did not know of the Kapu-Kai story, I remember seeing pictures on the TV.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-17 10:24 am   Permalink

Thanks everybody and thanks to Sven for allowing me to use his images. Sven, I saw your page on IMDB, when you you making a movie to combine your 'work' with your "hobby?"

Also, this makes me wonder if there isn't more information out there on some 'defunct bowling alley' forum somewhere?

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-01-17 3:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-17 10:24, kapu_kai_son wrote:
Sven, I saw your page on IMDB, when you you making a movie to combine your 'work' with your "hobby?"

Here is a recent example of how I combine my work with my hobby of urban archeology:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=26173&forum=16&85

Sharing my personal impressions with the TC Ohana helped me to distance myself from the insane stress of a film set.

I also use the decades of experience I gained in lighting film sets to light Tiki objects and Tiki temple interiors as glamorous as possible.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Buckdog
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-28 6:24 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have detailed pics of the front of the Kapu-Kai?

I ran across this thread while researching photos for a Tiki themed diorama myself and a buddy of mine are just now starting. I'm seriously thinking of incorporating the style of the Kapu-Kai in one of the buildings. This is an incredible story and I want to see what we can do with it.

Small world -I found out that the former location of the Kapu-Kai is now an Albertson's market. What blew me away is that my brother lives kind of across the street. We were in that Albertson's not too long ago.

Thanx everyone, especially to kapu-kai-son and his family.

View Profile of Buckdog Send a personal message to Buckdog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nichols
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-02-29 5:33 pm   Permalink

David Allen made a nice post about Kapu Kai on his Daily Bulletin blog (check out the comments)
http://www.insidesocal.com/davidallen/2008/02/remembering_the_kapukai.html#comments

View Profile of nichols Send a personal message to nichols      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-09 4:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-01-28 18:24, Buckdog wrote:
Does anyone have detailed pics of the front of the Kapu-Kai?

Small world -I found out that the former location of the Kapu-Kai is now an Albertson's market. What blew me away is that my brother lives kind of across the street. We were in that Albertson's not too long ago.

Thanx everyone, especially to kapu-kai-son and his family.

I don't think that there are too many pics of the exterior that aren't posted here. However, I just got off the phone with my stepmom and she has some pics that I may not have already. She's in NC so she's mailing what she has to me.

I wonder if your brother would mind taking a photo from a similar camera angle to some of the pics posted here? This would be a neat look at "then and now" for that location.

Buckdog
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-13 8:54 pm   Permalink

Kapu - thanx for replying.
I'll see what we can do. Maybe I can run up there Sunday and take a few shots. I dont think there is much left to landmark from. The Kapu-Kai's address marks for the Albertson's market but I think there is an old winery house across the street. That house has been designated a historical landmark. If you remember the winery house where was it's physical relation to the Kapu-Kai?
Thanx.

View Profile of Buckdog Send a personal message to Buckdog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-15 7:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-13 20:54, Buckdog wrote:
Kapu - thanx for replying.
I'll see what we can do. Maybe I can run up there Sunday and take a few shots. I dont think there is much left to landmark from. The Kapu-Kai's address marks for the Albertson's market but I think there is an old winery house across the street. That house has been designated a historical landmark. If you remember the winery house where was it's physical relation to the Kapu-Kai?
Thanx.

I think you're right about the landmarks, it was just a thought in passing. I believe the winery was across the street but I'm not sure. Hopefully one day I'll get back there myself. I'm sure if we could find someone old enough at the winery they would remember. Thanks for the reply though.

kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-15 7:57 pm   Permalink

My step Mom sent me a few photos she found with my dads old things. These photos are little pics that I've enlarged a bit, so the detail isn't as good as the earlier pics.

Little pics for you keep in your wallet..... awwww such a touching gesture

Aloha,
Colin

Buckdog
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-16 8:00 pm   Permalink

Went to visit my bro today - got pics of the old sites. Will post tomorrow. By the way the winery house is up for lease - again. There have been more businesses trying to eek out a living in that place than I can remember. The house is now surrounded by a bank, gas station and other stuff.

I'm cringing at the shot of the Kapu-Kai flooded. I've never been there and it hurts just looking at them.

[ This Message was edited by: Buckdog 2008-03-16 20:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Buckdog 2008-03-16 20:06 ]

Buckdog
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-17 8:42 pm   Permalink

Here are location pics of where the Kapu-Kai used to be.
The Albertsons and a bunch of other smaller stores take up the entire location. There is no hint or landmark of any kind that there was a restaurant there before. Only the mountains give a reference.You can see the Starbucks right on the corner of Vineyard and Foothill.

The winery house is still across the street and up for lease - again. By looking at it you would never know that all the land around the house used to belong to it.

[ This Message was edited by: Buckdog 2008-03-17 20:44 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation