FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Does anyone know about the Kapu-Kai in CA?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Does anyone know about the Kapu-Kai in CA?
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-22 1:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks a lot! Sorry I've been away from the site for a few days.

Aloha,
Colin

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-22 6:07 pm   Permalink

From San Simeon up North to San Diego down South, from the Ocean to the desert to the mountains, that could be ANY corner in ANY town, now.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Derek C

Posted: 2008-06-18 4:31 pm   Permalink

Hello Colin and everyone at Tikicentral.

I've lived here in Rancho Cucamonga my entire life (since 1960.)

Actually, the "Winery House" South of Kapu Kai site (discused/pictured earlier,) located directly across Foothill Blvd south of Kapu Kai, was/is the "John Klusman House."

Klusman was a local builder and concrete-contractor back in the late 1890s - 1930's or so,) and was a partner/minor owner of the Virginia Dare Winery. The Virginia Dare Winery is located 3-miles East of Kapu Kai, at Haven Avenue and Foothill.

http://www.kidsplan.com/klusman.htm

The former Winery directly across the street (Vineyard Avenue) East of the old Kapu Kai, is the "Thomas Brothers Vintners" winery, which Klusman Did not own.

http://www.kidsplan.com/thomas.htm

The oldest house in the area (The Rains Adobe, built in 1860 by/for John Rains, the one-time owner of ALL of the lands known as "Rancho Cucamonga") is within short walking distance to the North of old Kapu Kai on Vineyard Avenue.

Also, the Old Sycamore Inn (since 1848, which Klusman built the current structure for in 1920) is around a mile-West of Old Kapu Kai.

Here is a brief history of the area:

http://www.thesycamoreinn.com/history.html

Thanks Again, and really miss the old Kapu Kai.
Derek C.

View Profile of Derek C Send a personal message to Derek C  Email Derek C     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Buckdog
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-08 7:37 pm   Permalink

Outstanding Dereck! Thanx!

View Profile of Buckdog Send a personal message to Buckdog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dmhontheweb

Posted: 2008-08-27 9:33 pm   Permalink

I remember the Kapu Kai because I grew up in Claremont in the 1960s and it was a memorable landmark--memorable enough for me to do a Google search a few decades later and stumble into this website.

The exterior was illuminated at night and looked quite impressive. The postcard picture hardly does it justice. I only actually ate there once, in about 1966 or 1967, when I was about 10 or 11 years old. There was a car show there of some kind one night that I attended with my parents.

Anyway, the thing that made me remember the Kapu Kai was the WATERFALLS! Nobody here has said anything about the WATERFALLS. Now to explain the waterfalls. A section of the exterior facade was covered with rocks (probably lava-type rocks) from ground to roof and water came cascading down from the roof over all the rocks. It was all dramatically illuminated and was absolutely the most spectacular thing I had ever seen in my short life. Maybe the waterfall part was only few yards wide, but to my kid-sized sense of scale it seemed huge. After the place was abandoned we drove past it many times while travelling along Foothill Blvd. and it made me glum to see the wreckage and know that I would never see those waterfalls again.

Next I will let my brother know there are people on the internet still talking about the Kapu Kai--he'll be as astonished as I was.

View Profile of dmhontheweb Send a personal message to dmhontheweb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dmhontheweb

Posted: 2008-08-27 10:11 pm   Permalink

P.S.
I looked more closely at the postcard picture and hey! the waterfall thing is clearly visible on the right side of the image and it really does rise from ground to rooftop. Reading all the postings here has been quite an adventure. Thanks to all!

View Profile of dmhontheweb Send a personal message to dmhontheweb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-30 11:24 am   Permalink

I finally found one of the Kapu Kai postcards a while back, it is one of my absolute favorites.

Saw the glass and ashtray on ebay recently.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 4:32 pm   Permalink

Here is a matchbook with the feature matches intact.

I picked up an extra postcard, if anybody wants to trade send me a PM.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 12:58 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-10-13 12:59 ]

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kapu_kai_son
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-11 11:39 am   Permalink

Hello everybody! Been a while since we posted in this thread and I wanted to provide an update. I located the daughter of one of my father's partners and she related this story:

"As far as my own memories of your parents I would like to tell you that I have fond ones. Warren was always so kind to me and even hired me to work in the bar (although I couldn't tell a wiskey sour from a margurita). I was a complete failure there so they put me in the dining room.

I recall one year we advertised opening the dinnerhouse for a "Thanksgiving Special" serving a wonderful turkey dinner with all the trimmings for one low price. Well, we had so many customers we were overwhelmed! The people were coming in by what seemed like truck loads. Warren put me in charge of seating the customers...in other words, the hostess. Well I had no idea what to do with all these people, having no experience in this field in my entire life (right along with the liquor thing) but he seemed to stay so cool and calm and that in turn calmed me. I recall some of the customers that night even handing me twenty and forty dollars to seat them before others. I proceeded to give Warren that money because I thought it was suppose to go back to the restaurant....I didn't have a clue. He just laughed and said, "no that's yours to keep". Of course I was ecstatic."

View Profile of kapu_kai_son Send a personal message to kapu_kai_son      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-11 8:58 pm   Permalink

ALoha KapuKaiSon...it's great to see you posting here again...keep the stories and photos coming (memorabilia too !)

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 9:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-26 13:23, Unga Bunga wrote:

God , I'm glad I asked so long ago.
If I could go back in time, the Kapu Kai would be on my list.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-11 9:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-11 21:20, Unga Bunga wrote:
Quote:

On 2003-10-26 13:23, Unga Bunga wrote:

God , I'm glad I asked so long ago.
If I could go back in time, the Kapu Kai would be on my list.

Hear Here !

Roll a few games, dinner, cocktails..a perfect night out !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tobunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-12 12:30 am   Permalink

Wow! WOW! WOW!!!

I'm so glad this thread got updated, I'd never seen it before.

What an incredible story, and what an incredible place! So sad that it met such a tragic end! If not for that flood, it might still be around today!

Thank you everybody who has provided information on this amazing lost tiki palace!

http://ericoctober.com

View Profile of tobunga Send a personal message to tobunga  Email tobunga Goto the website of tobunga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deke Kahala
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-12 09:38 am   Permalink

What a great read this was. Bummer about the loss. My wife has made the salad dressing. YUMMY and a big hit with our dinner guests.

View Profile of Deke Kahala Send a personal message to Deke Kahala      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation