FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hawaiian Inn: Who's In?: post here
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Hawaiian Inn: Who's In?: post here
HETO-TIKI
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-05 5:32 pm   Permalink

We will be there. We had a Fab time last January when Geoff organized the out-ing. So January the 17th. I hope more Florida TC people will think about coming out. It is a wonderful show. And we had a great time meeting everyone.

View Profile of HETO-TIKI Send a personal message to HETO-TIKI  Email HETO-TIKI Goto the website of HETO-TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-06 05:38 am   Permalink

Pablus,
I don't have any shows that weekend so count me in. I should have plenty of tikis for ya'll to munch on. I recommend just a dab of Patak's Chili sauce on the rootball heads.

View Profile of Tiki Mon Send a personal message to Tiki Mon  Email Tiki Mon Goto the website of Tiki Mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-06 11:32 am   Permalink

Yeah me and the wahine are in, excited to meet all you tiki nerds. Does Hawaiian Inn make good Zombies?

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 08:15 am   Permalink

Tristan and I will be there, but it's going to be hard to wait 2 months!!
Could we plan to go to Julian's for a Mai Tai at their fabulous bar before we arrive at the H.I.?????

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 11:10 am   Permalink

I believe we can pretty much do whatever we want to.

A Mai Tai is always in order!

Maybe an afternoon Mai Tai at your favorite spot - let the evening drift in from the west - head over to the Hawaiian Inn.

I'm taking the whole weekend away for this gathering so I'm up for most anything... be it 3 people or 300.

I'm sure Geoff will put up some particulars about reservations for the show and the rooms, etc. I hope he does anyway because I'm a rookie over there on the "EC".

[ This Message was edited by: pablus on 2003-11-11 11:12 ]

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 9:14 pm   Permalink

We are up for what ever too. Bring on the drinks. Can't wait! January seems so far away.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 10:15 am   Permalink

I sent Wayne an e-mail on what we have planned, but I think he and Teauila were going on vacation this month. If you want to spend the night, I suggest booking soon since the after Christmas tourist season gets fairly busy.

http://www.hawaiianinn.com
http://bwakutiki.com

FYI: The Aku Tiki is within easy walking distance of the Hawaiian Inn.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-11-12 10:15 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 10:19 am   Permalink

The Aku Tiki looks like this:

Here's another shot of the Hawaiian Inn:

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-11-12 10:25 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 12:21 pm   Permalink

Geoff, thanks for the pics and heads up on reservations.

What is Julians? I'm such an amateur.

Is it January yet.

www.flounderart.com

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 2:19 pm   Permalink

Julian's is a vintage steak and seafood supper club in Ormond Beach. The building is very tiki and they have a huge Polynesian mural on the back wall of the restaurant. It's about 15 minutes north of the Hawaiian Inn.

They used to have a nice web site that had more details on the owners and the history of the place, but they changed to a more streamlined version.
http://www.juliansrest.com/index.htm
From what I recall of the original Web site, Julian fled Cuba in the late 50's and started as a dishwasher at a Polynesian restaurant called "The Tropics" in Ormond Beach. Through hard work and determination, he worked himself into owning the place. I have no idea what happened to the Tropics (I have one of their matchbooks), but at some point Julian built a new restaurant /or renamed the original place after himself (not sure which). And to make a long story short, Julian and his son still run the show.
Although it is not really a tiki bar/restaurant on the inside, it is a very cool 1950's/early 60's style dining room and lounge with heavy tiki overtones.
I think it would be a good spot for a Friday night dinner, if anyone wants to do a long weekend. We go there a few times per year and always enjoy it. Bree and Tristan really like it as well. Perhaps Bree can explain their live entertainment. It's fun, but it is different.
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-11-12 14:29 ]

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 3:22 pm   Permalink

I made my reservations for Jan.17th.

I'll bring stuff to make a few punch bowls pre-show. You know...Koolaid, Ronrico white rum, sprite... only the top shelf.

I hereby swear by the ghost of Victor Bergeron that I'm just kidding...

I'm thinking a batch of Scorpions (recipe from Vic's Book of Food and Drink), that awesome Planter's Punch from Intoxica and maybe something from Donn Beach's recipe book.

That should do it for me and Flounder, what'll the rest of you be drinking?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-12 5:31 pm   Permalink

Geoff, Thanks. Very informative as always, you know everything. How did I never see this place? Is it on A1A. It definitely stands out! Me and the wahine might make it a long weekend, I'll have to talk it over with her.

We are probably going to need more than that pablus. I bring a six pack of Old Milwaukee.

www.flounderart.com

NeptuneTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-13 3:47 pm   Permalink

Definitely count us in for the tiki gathering at The Hawaiian Inn. The 17th sounds good to us.

We are also hitting the Mai Kai on the 2nd of January. We are totally excited!

View Profile of NeptuneTiki Send a personal message to NeptuneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-13 4:17 pm   Permalink

This is turning out to be a real nice crowd, almost Cali-like. This seems to be the crowd so far:

Flounder & Wahine Megan
Pablus & Wahine
Kailuageoff & Wahine Marian
Tiki Bree & Tristin
Tiki Mon
Heto-Tiki & Man-stud
JTD & Wahine Katie & Kids
Kono
Muggler & Wahine
Fatuhiva & Wahine
Tweedtone & Wahine
Kentiki & Wahine Ariel
Tiki Dave & Lezley

I'm sorry if any of this is wrong, email me and I will change it.

www.flounderart.com

[ This Message was edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-11-14 15:57 ]

Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-14 10:41 am   Permalink

On drinking:

Mai-tais are available at the Hawaiian Inn's poolside tiki bar which opens at 11 am. A full-tropical drink menu is served in the showroom bar which opens at 5:30 pm.

The bar at the Aku Tiki is hopeless, so don't bother.

If enough of us want to do a two-day affair, we could lead an abbreviated bar crawl. I recommend an early drink at the Top of Daytona...

...followed by drinks and dinner at Julians, and a night cap at the Mai-Tai Bar.

On who's coming:

I think you can add Kentiki and Wahine Ariel (from Miami) to the list. I also told Wayne and Beki Coombs about it and they said they might be able to join us.

What about:

Tiki Troll
Sull-Tiki
Sobe Tiki

KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-11-14 10:45 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation