FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Purple Orchid, El Segundo, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Purple Orchid, El Segundo, CA (bar)
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 12:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-18 23:34, 2QueerTikis wrote:
This fabulous El Segundo location, located very near, but not on the beach is owned by Rachel and Dave who have obviously taken great care to create and re-create this tiki bar.

Dave himself is a member here (Wersmo Derinc - see the first post of this thread), but his wonderful wife is Rebecca! I'm sure they both appreciate the fine words you have for what is indeed, as Christiki295 says, "the all-around best tiki bar in Southern California."
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
2QueerTikis

Posted: 2004-01-19 4:57 pm   Permalink

Our apologies to Rebecca for messing up on your name in our original review-- we went back and fixed it. Next time we must remember to write our reviews before we start in on those aforementioned libations of yours! Either way, it does not change our love for your fantastic bar! LONG LIVE THE PURPLE ORCHID!

[ This Message was edited by: 2QueerTikis on 2004-01-19 17:09 ]

View Profile of 2QueerTikis Send a personal message to 2QueerTikis  Email 2QueerTikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-19 10:59 pm   Permalink

kbgator asked:
Quote:
Does the Purple Orchid sell their purple orchid tiki mug? If so how can I get two.

I'm curious too, and just called them. A delightful woman named Erin took my email address and said the owner would get back to me on whether they mail-order them and how much that would cost. I'll let you all know if they do.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kbgator
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 10:54 am   Permalink

I wonder if holden from tiki farm can help us get some mugs.

View Profile of kbgator Send a personal message to kbgator  Email kbgator     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
2QueerTikis

Posted: 2004-01-25 1:03 pm   Permalink

Here is the fabulous Tiki Farm mug from the Purple Orchid!

[ This Message was edited by: 2QUeerTikis on 2004-01-25 13:05 ]

View Profile of 2QueerTikis Send a personal message to 2QueerTikis  Email 2QueerTikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 11:13 pm   Permalink

I checked ou the Purple Orchid last week, and I bought the purple mug. I like the mug, and the decor was respectable. The drink that I had tasted like crap. It was supposedly a Mai Tai, but I tasted no fresh lime, orgeat, or mint. I may have had some orange curacao, but who could tell. It was strong and sweet. I really don't hold that against the place since most regular bars would have served the the same ?%$&. Tiki Ti, to me, is by far a better place to get a tiki drink.

Sorry to be so negative, but its late and I'm loaded.

KT

[ This Message was edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2004-04-04 23:20 ]

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-01 10:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-24 23:13, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
I checked ou the Purple Orchid "lasy" week, and I bought the purple mug. I like the mug, and the decor was respectable. The drink that I had tasted like crap. It was supposedly a Mai Tai, but I tasted no fresh lime, orgeat, or mint. I may have had some orange curacao, but who could tell. It was strong and sweet. I rteally don't hold that against the place since most regular bars would have served the the same ?%$&. Tiki Ti, to me, is by far a better place to get a tiki drink.

Sorry to be so negative,

KT

What's "lasy" week?

Bamboo Ben
Tiki Bars I've designed/built. TikiCat, Royal Hawaiian, Kona Club, Frankie's Tiki Room, Pacific Seas, Don the Beachcomber,Forbidden Island, Kon Tiki Tucson, Tiki No,etc....

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-02 09:16 am   Permalink

They actually have 3 mugs. But the other 2 are standard Tiki Farm mugs just with the Purple Orchid logo on the back. The purple mug is THE mug for Purple Orchid and is only available there. For those of you who haven't been there yet, the purple mug is modeled after their large tiki on the stage in the bar.

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-24 23:13, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
I checked ou the Purple Orchid last week, and I bought the purple mug. I like the mug, and the decor was respectable. . . .

The decor is merely "respectable?"

KreakyTiki, where's the tiki love?

The bamboo (on the walls and ceiling), the numerous tikis (inside and out), the Hawaiiana, the Book of Tiki in the (men's) bathroom, the Hawaiian print tables, etc., would, I hope, warrant somewhat greater approval.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-18 10:42 pm   Permalink

I was disapponted, what can I say? Nice effort, but you bartender doesn't know what a Mai Tai is? I'm tired of the level of service that is available out there. I would pay extra for a proper drink. The Purple Orchid to me was not tiki. There was no Exotica or Hawaiian music on the juke box, what's up with that? Pool tables and television, looks more like sports bar tiki.

I'll go there again the next time Iam in the South Bay just to check again, but other than the ceramics, there was not much to appreciate.

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-18 11:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-18 22:42, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
The Purple Orchid to me was not tiki. There was no Exotica or Hawaiian music on the juke box, what's up with that? Pool tables and television, looks more like sports bar tiki.

Kreaky Tiki, I feel your pain. The only time I've ever heard music worthy of a true tiki mecca is at Tiki Ti when Cass sponsored OnaTiki's opening party and Ray stated the music reminded him of when his dad ran the bar.

As for the pool tables and the tv, it must attract a crowd on a regular basis to keep its doors open. I loved Tahiti in LA which closed after just a few years, despite a fireplace which rivaled that of Kahiki. Also, some like watching the Lakers play.

The inability of the waitress to make a good MaiTai must have been a fluke. I find their version tied with the Lava Lounge as second only to Trader Vics.

Nevertheless, the totality of the Purple Orchid experience is a phenomenal tiki experience. You may be pleased next time you are there.

PS - you may wish to play the Blue Hawaiians on the jukebox.

Mahalo.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-04 3:01 pm   Permalink

Iwas at the Purple Orchid on Saturday night and it was great! Super decor,nice,informative bar folks-great volcano bowls (wanted to buy one-they don't have enough-boo),the tastiest pina colada I've ever had-all in all a terrific place.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-05-06 4:17 pm   Permalink

Purple Orchid is a great place period! Dave and Rebecca care greatly about keeping the tiki bar alive and well in America. Give them respect.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 10:53 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: kreaky tiki on 2004-05-08 07:01 ]

LAWebChick
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-18 12:57 pm   Permalink

I've been to the Purple Orchid a few times... most recently to see Dawn Shipley. The first couple of times were fun - I really enjoyed the drinks, and the pool tables, and making sure the jukebox was loaded with good songs. Everyone who works there is a real sweetheart and I totally admire the owners for putting together a tiki bar in El Segundo, but this past Saturday was a big let down. The satellite bartender had no idea what she was doing - I switched to straight tequila after she even blew a rum & coke. The regular bartenders usually have their act together, but the Mai Tais were off that night too - all sweet, no anything else. Maybe it was just a fluke?

View Profile of LAWebChick Send a personal message to LAWebChick  Email LAWebChick     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation