FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Jade Island, Staten Island, New York, NY (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Jade Island, Staten Island, New York, NY (restaurant)
Bone

Posted: 2008-04-10 8:54 pm   Permalink

AHHHH This reminds me of one night with my friends. the 4 of us each ordered a happy family meal, I can still remember the waiters comment in his thick accent "enough for 16 people". we laughed. now I was only about 130 lbs 5'8" and i finished more than anyone else at the table. along with head hunters of course, MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

imagine a plate a foot long piled 4-6 inches high of chicken shrimp beef and pork with veggies( not 100% sure but alot of food)

[ This Message was edited by: Bone 2008-04-10 20:57 ]

View Profile of Bone Send a personal message to Bone      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2009-09-06 12:20 am   Permalink

Looks like maybe Anthony Bourdain will be at Jade Island on this weeks No Reservations.

Sounds good to me ~ "On the plus side, I did get to down tiki drinks with David Johansen--though his enthusiasm for the New York Dolls of old seemed less…fervent than mine. Staten Island, it turns out, is the home of the last irony-free Hawaiian/Polynesian tiki palace in New York. A fine and beautiful thing. I brook no snickering with my flaming pu-pu platters"

The Travel Channel Monday 9/6/09 10PM and then indefinitely in reruns.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-07 11:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-06 00:20, Bora Boris wrote:
Looks like maybe Anthony Bourdain will be at Jade Island on this weeks No Reservations.

Sounds good to me ~ "On the plus side, I did get to down tiki drinks with David Johansen--though his enthusiasm for the New York Dolls of old seemed less…fervent than mine. Staten Island, it turns out, is the home of the last irony-free Hawaiian/Polynesian tiki palace in New York. A fine and beautiful thing. I brook no snickering with my flaming pu-pu platters"

The Travel Channel Monday 9/6/09 10PM and then indefinitely in reruns.

Good call Boris! Pretty cool episode..I think Tony was star struck by David

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Joe 2009-09-07 23:53 ]

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-08 09:47 am   Permalink

What's with Tony not buying the comparison between Staten Island & Hawaii? I can totally see it myself...

I wonder if David Johansen moved back to the old neighborhood? We grew up in the same neighborhood (about a decade apart), attended the same church, and his Mom was my local librarian and my Gran'ma's friend.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Looie Kalua
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-08 9:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Staten Island, it turns out, is the home of the last irony-free Hawaiian/Polynesian tiki palace in New York.

It's true, the various family dinners and dates that were happening around us when we've been there were utterly unaware that they were doing anything retro. Just enjoying the awesome, like they had been doing for years.

View Profile of Looie Kalua Send a personal message to Looie Kalua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
george09

Posted: 2009-09-12 4:11 pm   Permalink

I haven't been there but the atmosphere looks good. Might visit once i have the chance.

Regards,
George
Pret travaux

View Profile of george09 Send a personal message to george09      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-12 10:37 pm   Permalink

with all the recent talk heres a few new ones - my other link the pics got shrunk!

c ya around - ps try the shrimp toast and house special drink - nuff said!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RobbyKessler

Posted: 2010-03-24 08:23 am   Permalink

Wow - I'm lovin the Seahorse chandalier--a work of art. Fantastic photos bringing back good memories - thanks for posting.

View Profile of RobbyKessler Send a personal message to RobbyKessler      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BennysSon

Posted: 2010-10-21 09:58 am   Permalink

I just saw the interiors of Jade Island. My father helped opened the place and i remember running around the place as a kid. I might have some old menus stored away, but the headhunter has always been there. The only drinks we were allowed to have were Shirley Temples.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

View Profile of BennysSon Send a personal message to BennysSon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FenrixTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-10-27 12:58 pm   Permalink

I visited this place last week with the family located in Bayonne across the bridge. I regret not getting the flaming pu pu platter, as most of what we ordered to eat was underwhelming. Maybe the dinner menu is more impressive than the lunch one.

The Headhunter was fantastic. I was impressed to get a nicely balanced drink with egg foam before noon. The drinks are served in the Dynasty Wholesale versions of classic mugs. I think next visit I will try to convince my wife's siblings to have a light dinner and then finish off the night with a flaming pu pu plater and enough drinks to necessitate a taxi.

[ This Message was edited by: FenrixTiki 2010-10-27 13:24 ]

View Profile of FenrixTiki Send a personal message to FenrixTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation