FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Tiki Bob's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Bob's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-05 5:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-05 13:19, Trad'r Bill wrote:
Sabu - good eye, I was thinking the same thing... the lines inside the letters match my sign very closely. I think the sign was probably based on the menu lettering, or vice versa.

I looked through dozens of bamboo lettering fonts on Archiva Tropica and didn't see any that looked like the menu/sign: http://www.arkivatropika.com/cgi-bin/tags.cgi?tags=%22bamboo%20lettering%22

Here's a side-by-side shot:

It seems very likely that the sign once hung at one of the Tiki Bob's locations. Any other explanation I can think of seems too far-fetched.

Trad'r Bill

Waitaminnit: The "C" in the menu has THREE separation lines on the bottom, the sign only TWO!

A stunning discovery! Great eye, Sabu. I have photographic TIKI memory, but it does not extend to Bamboo fonts . These two are clearly related! If the "Transmission tradition" of menu art that we have found in the copying of logo Tikis applies to Tiki fonts, it initially seems hard to say which came first, and from where. But with a little logic, we might get close:

Tiki Bob' was the unwanted stepchild of Trader Vic's on Cosmo Place. So Vic's would never have copied anything from Bob's. Bob's (as a place) WAS a "copy" of Vic's, yes, but but not THAT literally. It's unlikely that the graphic artist of the Bob's menu went to Cosmo place (IF it had hung there) and sketched the sign for his menu job. The easiest way would surely have been that the sign maker got a copy of the Tiki Bob's menu and carved the font from it - per order of Tiki Bob's, of course.

Tiki Bob's Sacramento was too far away for the sign to have made it back to town, and Tiki Bob's Mainland seems to have been very under-decorated with Polynesian items. So: My vote goes to the original Tiki Bob's!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-06 6:12 pm   Permalink

I like your analysis, Sven... especially since it confirms what I want to hear.

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 6:33 pm   Permalink

Here's another cool menu that came up recently on eBay:

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 10:37 pm   Permalink

No !!....? (utter disbelief) This must be a clever parody, like all those mugs Bosko and Grog have been doing. - This would be an OK graphic for "Fat Bob's Burgers", but not Tiki Bob's...the Bob Tiki was always so slender and elegant!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-14 11:01 pm   Permalink

More Like Tiki Blob's

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-09-15 12:37 pm   Permalink

I like it! The combination of soft curves and sharp corners with crisp lines - very cartoon modern! This illustration is by a skilled hand.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-28 12:16 pm   Permalink

If it makes you feel better, the Tiki Bob blob figure was from a Wine list!

Here is a comparison of the Tiki Bob's matchbooks that show the evolution of the Tiki Bob style from the early days (right) to the Raffles era (left).

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-28 2:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks, DC, I just had to get used to that fat boy look....I kinda like it now, it was a surprise, but it grew on me.

TikiTomD
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2011-12-29 8:38 pm   Permalink

Tiki Bob starts his lingerie shows, closely watched by local police

The Milwaukee Journal March 31, 1959 (page 13)

St. Petersburg Independent March 31, 1959 (page 2)

The Calgary Herald April 2, 1959 (page 11)

The local authorities were unable to stop Tiki Bob's shows, but there was one draconian agency that could and did...

The Modesto Bee August 2, 1959 (page 52)

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-16 02:07 am   Permalink

Rogue
Volume 4 Number 8
November 1959

High resolution at
http://www.martiantiki.com/rogue-v4n8/

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-16 07:21 am   Permalink

Wow. I've seen the color photos before but those B&Ws are new finds, yes ??

I especially like the exterior sidewalk photo. Thanks Martian-Tiki !!

Edit - Actually I see that Swanky had uncovered (ha ha) this a while back on his blog but thanks for posting the magazine article and cover in its entirety. Also according to Otto the Tiki Bob's in the above article is actually the Financial District location and not the one in this thread. (And which is stated in the text).

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-06-16 07:49 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-22 4:11 pm   Permalink

Found another menu on the web - this is apparently on display at the SFPL menu exhibit:

Full size:
http://sfhcbasc.blogspot.com/2010/09/mid-century-madness.html

Similar to the "Chow N Grog" menu posted earlier...

-Trad'r Bill

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-08 5:26 pm   Permalink

Great new photos! Here is another B & W of the entrance I found online.

And some old Tiki Bob's swizzles.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-08 8:48 pm   Permalink

Swizzles! Ahhhh the hunt is on!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-27 5:20 pm   Permalink

I saw a Tiki Bob's menu in mint condition recently sold on eBay. Was anyone here the lucky winner?

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation