FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Carving Methodology
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki Carving Methodology
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 6:28 pm   Permalink

Go to www.leevalley.com and order the 58D90.01 Sayer's Carving Tool Selection. 145.00 . These are good quality Sheffield tools and come ready to go. Do it once and you will never have to replace these. They will serve you for life. That's the best carving advice I can give, and I think anybody here with experience will tell you the same. The above pictured set of Chinese frustration tools will have to be honed to a useable blade pitch to start with and sharpened constantly. The handles will split, the retaining rings will smash and break off in a couple of uses, and the steel is so poor that the edges will never be straight and leave bad veining as you carve. Stay away...stay far away.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 7:24 pm   Permalink

BK,

Have you ever bought anything from
Highland Hardware in Virginia Highlands? I get a sizable discount there and was wondering if they had a good starter set?

Thx,

Scotty

[ This Message was edited by: Scotty on 2003-12-05 19:25 ]

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 8:15 pm   Permalink

Those Flexcuts are pretty damned good...a lot of the tree wizard guys up here use them. This looks like the set to own: http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/product.asp?0=333&1=334&3=2299

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 8:18 pm   Permalink

For big work these look nice: http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/product.asp?0=333&1=334&3=2300

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 8:44 pm   Permalink

Major progress on my little Marq tonight... he's only 16" H x 5" D... the grooves on the top and bottom are for rope that I'm putting in there...
I may just make a table lamp out of this guy with a rattan shade like my other lamps...

Sometimes brittle in spots, but I'm liking Birch... I have a few more thicker chunks to have fun with later...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-12-07 11:25 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-13 12:55 am   Permalink

So is it done yet Lake?

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-13 12:06 pm   Permalink

Oh man, chiki... I've been slacking... and busy making Mele Kalikimaka signs to ship out. I'm hoping to get back to carving him this weekend and I did find the lamp parts for him... have to buy those yet. But he might be a prototype for lamps I'd like to make soon in the future...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-15 12:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks BK. Those are pricy! I'll see what kind of discount they give me. I might just have to start with your suggested Lee Valley set.

Scotty

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Creature from the Slack Lagoon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-12-21 10:10 pm   Permalink

Wow! I'm new at carving, and I'm finding these tips SO helpful. Thanks!

View Profile of Creature from the Slack Lagoon Send a personal message to Creature from the Slack Lagoon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 4:38 pm   Permalink

Figured I would bring this up for all the new carvers out there .

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 5:52 pm   Permalink

here is a question for you chissel guys. i have been using Home Depot chissels (Marples) and a while back a guy gave me a set of chissel made by Millar Falls, does any one know anything about them.

i have been using them and they are loads better then Home Depot's. they definatly get sharp as i found out today when one slipped out of my hand and of course as a reflex i reached out to grab it so it wouldn't hit the floor and the damn thing went right through my leather glove and gave me quite a bite. i really like the Millar Falls but i don't think i have seen them around or talked about.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 5:57 pm   Permalink

Millers Falls tools have been around for many years. I believe they used to produce Industrial Quality tools back when quality mattered. Hang on to them.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 6:08 pm   Permalink

thank you for the information on the millar falls chissels Ben.

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 6:54 pm   Permalink

my pleasure

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-01 6:54 pm   Permalink

To me this post is just amazing and maybe the most informative that I've seen so far here at TC. These step-by-step photo shoots are just the best! This is vintage TC stuff, at least for me, having only arrived here recently. As a side note, it's kind of funny if you read this post, McDougall had only just started, and look at the stuff he's doing now. Very inspirational.

So, are you carving anything these days, BK? Anything good to show us? And how did it go with the auction at Hukilau - Hopefully Jeanne didn't spoil it for everybody?

If you've got some new carvings going, I for one would love to see them.

Thanks so much for all the great info.

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation