FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Carving Methodology
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki Carving Methodology
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-02 7:56 pm   Permalink

AaronA, you're making me blush, thanks. I still haven't carved a Palm though, mine all rotted and I gravitated towards smaller stuff. Still have the shinchopper ready to go though:-) And as another sidenote I just saw that BK carving in person, pictures do not do it justice!

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-03 12:50 am   Permalink

Hi, McDougall. Yeah, your stuff that you posted recently really looks great. I've got to get some mahogany, cause it really finishes up nice.

Just curious - It seems like a lot of these guys, BK, Gecko, Chikki, Cookolossu, & Lake Surfer used to post here pretty regular (before my time), but haven't posted much in awhile. Has anyone heard from them lately?

I think I saw in a recent post from BK that he hadn't been carving for awhile, but didn't really say why. I hope we see more of these guys. I feel like maybe I missed a really cool period here on TC when all of these guys were active and posting all of their great stuff, sharing with all of the other carving nerds like me.

I can't complain, though, cause we still have lots of expert carvers like Benzart, Octane, Cheekytiki, Polynesiac, and so many others sharing their knowledge & helping out all of the new carvers.

Just thinking out loud here...

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-09 10:09 am   Permalink

Hi, Akua... I think a lot of us just got pretty busy with life in general..For me in particular I had a very uncustomary year. I just unloaded a six-foot log yesterday...my first new victim in 8 months...so as soon as I get time off I plan on pulling out the old draw knife and 'skinnin 'im down. I also have two small weapons blanks. As soon as I get carving again I'll update a lot.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-09 12:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-09 10:09, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I just unloaded a six-foot log yesterday...my first new victim in 8 months...

WAHOO!!!

looking forward to it.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-10 4:32 pm   Permalink

That's awesome, BK. I'm really glad we'll be seeing more ongoing work from you. I have to say, that Maori piece is really beyond belief. I was searching for tips on abalone one day & stumbled across it. That piece (along with a few of Benzart's) just seem to me to be the pinnacle of tiki carving skillz. Something to shoot for one day. I'd love to see your very first carving effort... I'm sure that would just inspire me to no end.

MUCH RESPECT!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-10 7:54 pm   Permalink

Yes I can't wait to see BK Carving again. I'm hoping to get back soon and I need some Inspiration and BK can do it. ALl you guys help, but BK will put the boot to my butt.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-10 10:16 pm   Permalink

Boot to YOUR butt, Benzart? You gotta be kidding...I stared at your stuff with Paul at Hukilau and we both said "Man...that's just-plain-NUTS". You are an old master...We have all learned from you.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 09:30 am   Permalink

Log #2: I intended to document a step by step progression but left a huge time gap.

"CRACKS!"
Rule #1: If you must debark a fresh log don't forget to bring it in out of the sun!

Marking out the working design with chisel.

Seen here with Log #1. Still in the working stages... Lots of refinement needed. I'm having second thoughts on the mouth shape. More to follow!

This thread is addressing volumes of concerns that us beginners have (thanks BK). One of you veteran carvers should give us a step-by-step overview of proper stone-sharpening (ie: What angle do you hold the blade to the stone? Is there a type of stone that works best? How many passes on the stone should it take?).

[ This Message was edited by: FREAKBEAR on 2004-10-13 12:07 ]

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 11:06 pm   Permalink

Doh! It's been a while. Have to throw out my socks tonight! Forgot to wear my flip flops!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
River Tiki

Posted: 2004-10-14 09:46 am   Permalink

Hi! I'm brand new here and got a carve-on!Where does one find wood? I'm in Missouri...do I take my chain saw to the forest or do I have to drive to Florida to pick up some palms? Does old driftwood work? Which wood varieties work best? Is it possible to find mahogany? Thanks/Love

View Profile of River Tiki Send a personal message to River Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 08:06 am   Permalink

Time to bump this up again

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 09:04 am   Permalink

Hey thanks for bringing this up to read again. Grat advice. Having never craved anything before with real hand tools, I really need pictures like this that show everything. I really think you guys should get togther and make a video. I know it would sell!
Thanks to you all!

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnoTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-27 01:23 am   Permalink

Great Thread, love to see other people work. I am almost finished with my last effort, just some more sanding and staining and will document my next tiki to add to this thread.

[ This Message was edited by: OnoTiki on 2005-01-27 01:24 ]

View Profile of OnoTiki Send a personal message to OnoTiki  Email OnoTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 8:50 pm   Permalink

Ono, Can't wait to see this,, where izzit???
Bring it Onnn

sonofabeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-01 1:52 pm   Permalink

Great stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-02-04 08:57 ]

View Profile of sonofabeach Send a personal message to sonofabeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation