[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki James Michener
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
James Michener
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-12 3:53 pm   Permalink

If you remember Hawaii Five-0 you'll also get a kick out of seeing Khigh Dhiegh ("Wo Fat"!) and Herman Wedemeyer ("Duke")
- -

Ah! Thanks for the tip, I'll try to watch this!

"There's no way off this rock..."

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-17 2:25 pm   Permalink

I just finished reading "Rascals In Paradise" by Michener and A. Grove Day. This is a non-fiction book that tells the tales of some of the most notorious characters of the south seas. But by far the best chapter is the very last one.."Leeteg...the Legend." What a nut this guy was...and a genius. I know next to nothing about art but some of his techniques were certainly original. He also despised the fact that some art citics didn't consider his work "art." He was also a major, MAJOR party animal who lived for booze and girls. It's unfortunate he died in a motorcycle accident instead of completely hammered in the arms of a beautiful Tahitian woman half his age.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AllisonV
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-10 8:14 pm   Permalink

"Mary Martin, playing a Navy Nurse dressed up for an amateur show, clowns with Seabee Luther Billis (Myron McCormick)."

scanned from:

This Fabulous Century 1940-1950, Time Life Books, New York. 1969 p.279

View Profile of AllisonV Send a personal message to AllisonV      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-19 09:09 am   Permalink

I just finished "Hawaii". I know this isn't earth-shaking news for anybody but that was a dense book and I finally made it through. I guess I'm bragging--only $1 from the flea market!

Anyway, I recommend it. For those of you who do read it, you might wind up with negative feelings toward people from Massachusetts. I just want to tell you, you'd be right to have those feelings--this is the worst state in the Union. I can't believe I'm from here.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-19 10:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-19 09:09, pappythesailor wrote:
this is the worst state in the Union. I can't believe I'm from here.

I dunno Pappy, I think your neighbor to the south will give ya a run for your money. At least you've got some great old tiki joints left in MA....here in Corrupticut, we've got nothing.

Back on track, I started Hawaii....never made it through, so congrats!!!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-19 10:41 am   Permalink

You guys have obviously never lived in Alabama.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-03 09:25 am   Permalink

Nice to start my day today (Feb. 3) with Garrison Keillor's sonorous voice on The Writer's Almanac ( http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org ) announcing that it's James Michener's birthday. Keillor went on to provide a nice mini-biography (quoting:)
It's the birthday of the novelist who said: "I have only one bit of advice to beginning writers: be sure your novel is read by Rodgers and Hammerstein." That's James Michener, born in Doylestown, Pennsylvania (1907).

He never knew who his parents were he was taken to an orphanage as an infant, and adopted by a Quaker woman in Pennsylvania. He grew up in poverty, moving from house to house they would always leave in the middle of the night. He never had any toys or possessions for himself, didn't get Christmas presents. He beat up younger kids and got beaten up by older ones. When he was 14, he took off and hitchhiked all over the country. He said: "I think the bottom line is that if you get through a childhood like mine, it's not at all bad. Obviously, you come out a pretty tough turkey, and you have had all the inoculations you need to keep you on a level keel for the rest of your life. The sad part is, most of us don't come out."

He said: "I would suppose I learned how to write when I was very young indeed. When I read a child's book about the Trojan War and decided that the Greeks were really a bunch of frauds with their tricky horses and the terrible things they did, stealing one another's wives, and so on, so at that very early age, I re-wrote the ending of the Iliad so that the Trojans won. And boy, Achilles and Ajax got what they wanted, believe me. And thereafter, at frequent intervals, I would write something. It was really quite extraordinary. Never of very high merit, but the daringness of it was."

His mother read aloud all of Dickens' novels, and after a salesman convinced his aunt to buy the complete works of Balzac, she passed them on to her nephew. By the time he got to high school, he had decided he wanted to go to college, and he did he was a good student and a good athlete, and he got a full scholarship to Swarthmore.

He was drafted into the military during World War II, and he joined the Navy even though he was a Quaker and 36 years old, so he could have gotten out of it. He was stationed in the Solomon Islands, where he kept records of aircraft maintenance. While he was there, he wrote some stories and sketches based on life in the Navy, and he sent his manuscript anonymously to Macmillan. They accepted it, and Tales of the South Pacific was published in 1947. It won the Pulitzer Prize for fiction, and Rodgers and Hammerstein adapted it into the hit musical South Pacific (1949).

After that, Michener never had to worry about finances. But he was uncomfortable being wealthy. Instead, he said, "The decent thing to do is to get rid of some of this money." And he did at least $100 million. He donated the royalties from many of his books, which was no small gesture he wrote nearly 40 books and they sold an estimated 75 million copies worldwide. Since he himself got to go to prestigious schools for free, through scholarship money, he decided that he would donate to universities so that other people could have the same opportunity. He died of kidney failure in 1997, and left his $10 million estate to Swarthmore, his alma mater. The year before, he had given away $24 million.

His books include Hawaii (1959), Chesapeake (1978), Poland (1983), Alaska (1988), and Texas (1985).

He said, "As a writer I have persisted in my uncertainty, alternating between novels which could charitably be considered literature and world reporting which by another stretch of objective standards might be called history."

And, "I was brought up in the great tradition of the late nineteenth century: that a writer never complains, never explains and never disdains."

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahuna Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-02-03 12:11 pm   Permalink

After I heard about Tales of the South Pacific, I desperately wanted to read it but couldn't find it anywhere. I finally stumbled across an old hardcover version (with some illustrations) in a used book store. I loved it and it still holds a prominent position in my bookcase to this day. I then read Return to Paradise (another one hard to find around here), Hawaii and Caribbean. The last two, besides being thick, weighty volumes, were *real* eye openers. Certainly each was enjoyable in its own right.

View Profile of Kahuna Tiki Send a personal message to Kahuna Tiki  Email Kahuna Tiki Goto the website of Kahuna Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-04 7:35 pm   Permalink

After reading Tales, Hawaii and Return decades ago, 'bumbled across really old paperbacks of Tales and Rascals, this past summer.

Michener was one heck of a storyteller.

'Any truth to the bit of his having adopted two orphan boys and then "gave them back" when they proved too troublesome for him?

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-04 7:44 pm   Permalink

I know that James Michener was friends (through his military days) with an individual who lived close to where I was born & have moved back to now & that he had many first editions & autographed books. Unfortunately there was a fire in this individual's home & all of those books were destroyed several years ago.

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2014-02-27 12:12 pm   Permalink

John Rose was the artist on the jacket of this U.K. first edition. For my money, it's the best DJ artwork on any Michener title.

The Philippe Weisbecker-illustrated edition of The Franklin Library's "Tales of the South Pacific" has great external design, but his interior illustrations are somehow too dull & abstract.

The Franklin Library's earlier mid-1970's edition of "Tales" featured illustrations by William Franklin Draper, and lend themselves much more to the romantic setting of the book.

This Turkish edition of "Hawaii" has a pulpish feel that his early vintage pbs had.

[ This Message was edited by: White Devil 2014-02-27 13:01 ]

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
White Devil
Deleted

Posted: 2014-03-07 09:00 am   Permalink

A few of Richard Powers' illustrations for The Easton Press' 1988 two-volume edition of Michener's "Hawaii". Powers is best known for his abastract 1960's science fiction paperback art.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-07 09:38 am   Permalink

Very cool, thank for sharing those pictures.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation