FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Whaddaya call those Big Round Wicker Chairs?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Whaddaya call those Big Round Wicker Chairs?
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-29 11:52 pm   Permalink

Sorry to bother you all with this dumb question, but... What do you call the Wicker Chairs with the Round Backs? You know... Very Popular back in the 70s. They have a specific name, though. A name that is not, like, Round Back Wicker Chairs...

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-30 07:09 am   Permalink

Peacock Chair?

I found this:
The wicker & rattan peacock fan-back chair, first brought from China to America by clipper ships in the 18th century.

[ This Message was edited by: suzywong on 2003-11-30 07:31 ]

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-30 3:57 pm   Permalink

That chair in furniture lingo is officially known as a Papa San Chair.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-30 6:28 pm   Permalink

BK...I thought the papa san was the big round rattan chair that has the big round cushion which sets on small rattan base???

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-30 7:25 pm   Permalink

No, every one of the big round back wicker chairs we've ever sold we called a Papa San, though I know the one of which you speak...looks like a giant cross between a Bertioa and a cereal bowl.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-30 7:54 pm   Permalink

"Peacock chair" is what I've heard the most, but I've heard them referred to as "cobra-back" chairs as well.

[ This Message was edited by: Doctor Z on 2003-11-30 20:03 ]

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-30 8:10 pm   Permalink

Right about those round "cereal bowl" chairs, My friends and I used to take them off the seat stand then somebody would sit inside it and somebody else would spin you around like a tea cup ride.

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 10:16 am   Permalink

I always called that chair (yup, I have one...) 70's senior picture chair...

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 10:58 am   Permalink

BK,
Would this be considered a Papa San?

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-12-01 10:59 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 11:38 am   Permalink

Peacock or Princess Chair (From the Holden Westland Collection)

Papasan Chair

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 11:46 am   Permalink

they're called King or Queen fan chairs made in the Pie(short for P.I or Philippines). Usually the Queen has no arm rest and the King has the arm rest as the wun Braddah Al is sitting in. The papa san is the wun right under Al.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 1:43 pm   Permalink

How about just Big Round Wicker Chair?

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 1:54 pm   Permalink

I call mine "Bruce." We had one that came to more of point, kinda shaped like a moorish arch, I think we were told that one was a Cobra Backed chair.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 2:02 pm   Permalink

The Huey Newton chair?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-01 11:46, GECKO wrote:
they're called King or Queen fan chairs made in the Pie(short for P.I or Philippines).

I always call them queen or peacock chairs. I always thought a king chair was a recliner with a tv remote control on the arm rest. Now I have the facts.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-12-01 15:02 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation