FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Absinthe... discuss.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Absinthe... discuss.
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-30 1:01 pm   Permalink

Thanks to the people who posted their absinthe collections.
Here is my collection of absinthe and related stuff:

I started collecting absinthe spoons about 15 years ago after reading an article about absinthe in Scientific American, and then going to an antique mall where I found my first spoon.

I agree with Dave that Ted Breaux's absinthes are the best you can buy because they are historically accurate copys. I have tasted them and they will be the next bottle(s) of the stuff I buy, but I don't have the money or the will to add another bottle to my collection at this time.

Edouard Pernod (125 year old bottle) this would be the prize of my collection if it had not been opened in the 1920s. It is so air oxidized it tastes like wet cardboard flavored vodka. (Thanks again to Ted for showing me what it used to taste like). Deva Absenta, Philip Lasala Absenta and Montana Absenta are from Spain and all taste pretty good. Sebor Absinth is the only product from the Czech Republic I have tasted that I like. La Muse Verte from France and Herbsaint from New Orleans are two good Pastis bottles I have at this time. If you ever visit New Orleans and need an Absinthe substitute for your tiki bar, buy some Herbsaint it tastes good and it is under $10 a bottle. Hills Absinth is just nasty, don't even try it, the only people on earth that drink this stuff are British soccer hooligans.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2005-11-02 14:24 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-03 11:08 am   Permalink

Great collection cptn.kirk!

My husband and I have just started collecting spoons, at the moment we have a collection of one. Heh. We'd also like a nice fountain and some glasses at some point.

Have a look at this one on e-bay right now!

It's at $559 Euro, with almost 4 days left to go!
CUILLERE à ABSINTHE métal argenté FEUILLE ancienne

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-06 10:13 am   Permalink

If you are going to collect spoons, I suggest you get Marie Claude Delahaye's spoon collectors book (L'Absinthe, les Cuilerès). It is in French but once you figure a few words you can use even if you don't speak the language (I don't).

You can find it here:

http://www.lafeeabsinthe.com/acatalog/books_mcd.htm
You can probably find it at the French Amazon.com site or on the publisher's webpage too. Try the website of Marie-Claude Delahaye's Absinthe Museum in France too.

It classifies every known antique spoon and a few repro spoons by style, rates each and every known spoon by rarity. There is a photo for each one also. It shows you how to spot forgeries every thing you need to know absinthe spoon collecting.

Otherwise you will be like a coin collector wondering why one coin is worth $1 and almost the exact same one is a million.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2005-11-10 12:20 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-07 10:47 am   Permalink

My husband just spent 8 months in Quebec learning french, I knew it had a purpose in there somewhere.
It's made searching for absinthe spoons online that much easier!

Thanks for the tip!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-02 7:13 pm   Permalink

Kono wrote:

> How about bleu cheese? "See that big beast over there? The one with the
> bulbous gland swinging underneath? What we do is we squeeze that gland
> until juice starts to come out. We leave the juice to lay around until
> it gets all hard and dry and fungus grows on it. Then we eat it.
> Delicious!"

Hmm. This is SO reminiscent of Robin William's postulation of the creation
of the sport/game of Golf.

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-18 1:56 pm   Permalink

AbsintheSupply.net has Czech Absinthe, Red Absinthe, Staroplzenecky Absinth, Spoons, and more.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twitch
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2006-09-02 5:00 pm   Permalink

Canada is one of the countries where absinthe is legal(ish) - but the real deal is rare to find. I picked one out of three brands the main liquor branch in Vancouver had (mid-priced, from France) called Absente. Didn't realize til later that there was no wormwood or thujone content inside, even if the very NAME of the stuff practically screams it out for the buyer (roommate stamped a big 'Duh' on my forehead over that one).
Bought some actual powdered wormwood from an herbalist nearby to see if I could conjure an approximation, but haven't found the time for the research (probably do it around Halloween).
Haven't actually cracked the Absente for a taste - I did, however, try a raw pinch of the wormwood. Hey, I'll try anything once - I'll lick the sidewalk if someone says "Hmm, wonder what THAT tastes like?", but raw wormwood is a big no-no. Honestly, the first thought was to grab the jigsaw and separate myself from my tongue as fast as possible.

...OK, my curiosity got too piqued, so I cracked the Absente.
Good little kick to it, tastes like concentrated German licorice with a hint of some citrus.

Not nearly as horrible as I was expecting. This was straight from the bottle, tho' - no extras thrown in.
Can't wait to experiment!

View Profile of twitch Send a personal message to twitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 6:52 pm   Permalink

A French company is going to start marketing an absinthe called Lucid here in the US. They claim that it's the real deal, made with "Grande Wormwood". They also claim to have tested several bottles of absinthe dating from the 19th century, and found that they contained negligible amounts of Thujone.

Weblog: Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 04:19 am   Permalink

Lack of real Absinthe in the USA has nothing to do with prohibition. Wormwood is the 2nd most bitter herb. Real absinthe is made by soaking wormwood (and other stuff) in the alcohol and then distilling it. Real Absinthe has a nice flavor only because the bitter flavors are left in the stillpot. Don't add wormwood to booze and expect to make absinthe.

Real wormwood is classified as a illegal food additive by the FDA. If any liquor contains wormwood it can not be sold in the USA. Herbsaint is the best substitute I have found in the USA, but I have not tasted Lucid so it may be good too.

I don't know what thujone has to do with any of this, a box of stove top stuffing contains more thujone than most bottles of absinthe. It is not an indication of how real any bottle of absinthe is.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2007-05-02 04:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2007-05-02 04:35 ]

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 06:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 04:19, captnkirk wrote:
I don't know what thujone has to do with any of this

Absinthe was originally banned in Europe based on the premise that it contained large amounts of thujone, which was claimed to be a dangerous hallucinogen. Modern-day testing shows that was false.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
californialife
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-09 7:55 pm   Permalink

Here's a house specialty from Ken's Tiki Lounge. Named after the strong, wet tropical airstream coming off Hawaii, it's a sleeper and I don't recommend more than two.

KEN'S PINEAPPLE EXPRESS
2 oz. Myers dark rum
1 oz. Malibu coconut flavored rum
1 oz. La Cour absinthe (180 proof)
8 oz. cold pineapple juice

Using a 16 oz. Glass, pour the booze first, then pour the pineapple juice to mix. Top off with large cube ice, stir lightly and serve. Some might want to halve the recipe, but why mess around? Garnish with whatever...or not. You'll probably just put your eye out anyway.

View Profile of californialife Send a personal message to californialife  Goto the website of californialife     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-11 6:07 pm   Permalink

I have been knocking back absinthe for 2 years and have had no problemrigjaigjsufjA*dfumAW*(erqMR8Q4RQvy q3rqYR2e=34uvm b3UTE......SORRY, NO PROBLEMS YET.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Corvus

Posted: 2007-11-12 12:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-02 06:01, MrBaliHai wrote:

Absinthe was originally banned in Europe based on the premise that it contained large amounts of thujone, which was claimed to be a dangerous hallucinogen. Modern-day testing shows that was false.

My research has said this was mostly a campaign by the wine industry to discredit it because Absinthe had become a very popular drink during
the Great French Wine Blight.

The Irony is that today people want to drink it because of the supposed effects that were attached to it to dissuade people from drinking it at the time.

I think the reality, like on most things, is not as interesting as the hype. Thujone is not a big deal but the laws haven't caught up to the actual science.

I think the stuff tastes nasty. I do however use some anise type liquors when making vintage drinks, but usually it's only about a drop. I am not a big anise flavor fan.

View Profile of Corvus Send a personal message to Corvus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
californialife
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-12 1:35 pm   Permalink

If anyone's interested, there's an excellent collection of information located at the following link:

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/absinthe/

View Profile of californialife Send a personal message to californialife  Goto the website of californialife     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-11-12 4:03 pm   Permalink

Most types of absinthe were a very high alcohol percentage,up around 70%.I think most people are going to start hallucinating when you start drinking bottles of the stuff at that strength.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation