FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Absinthe... discuss.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Absinthe... discuss.
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-12-22 1:14 pm   Permalink

The drink is called a SAZERAC.

Sorry about that. That's what I get for posting late at night after a full day of Christmas shopping and a couple of hot buttered rums.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 1:38 pm   Permalink

the worst reported health effect of absinthe is having hallucinations of kylie minogue...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 2:34 pm   Permalink

At the risk of sounding redundant:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=4000&forum=6

"I have had a number of different absinthes from Europe-Most taste exceptionally bad and none made me see "La Fee Verte". Many years ago I was lucky to have 2 shots of some high quality home-brew made here in the Good Ol' USA and brother-it made me see GOD!

Talk to me in person, the written word cannot convey the ecstasy of the moment. Oh yeah, the next day, the WORST hangover ever (and I've had some doozies!)"

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 2:46 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1730&forum=1

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-12-22 5:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-21 20:43, Kono wrote:
I wouldn't be a-fearing it. Most of the "bad press" that absinthe got, back in the day, was due to it's effects on chronic users. Try it when you don't have to get up early the next day. It really does taste bad though. Really really bad..have the sugar ready.

Some also feel that the blindness and madness that was reportedly caused by absinthe use was actually caused by syphillus (sp?) which was rampant among French artists at the time.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 08:47 am   Permalink

So if I drink it and get all crazy, I have the clap?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-12-23 10:12 am   Permalink

It's powerful shit, fishy. Powerful shit.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 11:34 am   Permalink

This site sells up to 35mg strength.

Quicker dosing with fewer drinks for those who titrate differently.

http://www.alandia.de/

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-12-23 2:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-21 17:23, tikifish wrote:How might you cook with it?

There's lots of info on the old sugar-spoon thing online, but not so much on getting creative in the kitchen with it.

Nobody seems to have answered this question yet so I'll have a go. Think fish, tikifish. Mussels or clams steamed in a broth of white wine, a bit of Absinthe, and garlic. How about fish with some sauce that contains a little bit of Absinthe served over it?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 6:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-23 14:01, thejab wrote:

Nobody seems to have answered this question yet so I'll have a go. Think fish, tikifish. Mussels or clams steamed in a broth of white wine, a bit of Absinthe, and garlic. How about fish with some sauce that contains a little bit of Absinthe served over it?

Have you tried any of these for real or are these just ideas? I just can't imagine it wouldn't be awful. Like cooking with 40 year old cough syrup and melted pennies. Yeesh. Maybe if I was starving and the only thing I had was some rank old green fly covered carrion that had been days in the sun. I'd baste it in absinthe and roast it. It'd probably still taste horrendous but at least it'd kill all the bacteria.

Seriously, have you cooked with the stuff? Maybe it's better than one would think. Maybe the steam gets you so you don't even care what the food actually tastes like.

I think I'm going to order a kit from these folk:
http://www.enjoyabsinthe.com They seem to be really know their stuff. Too bad here in the US we can't just go buy the stuff.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-12-23 6:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-23 18:04, Kono wrote:
Have you tried any of these for real or are these just ideas? I just can't imagine it wouldn't be awful.

Just ideas based on dishes I've had in restaurants that use Pernod. Nothing unique or creative. I haven't had real Absinthe so perhaps it would make food taste vile.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 6:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-23 18:24, thejab wrote:
I haven't had real Absinthe so perhaps it would make food taste vile.

Ah, ya never know till you try it. Some things that sound awful in theory can turn out pretty damn good. Who the hell came up with sour cream, buttermilk or putting mashed up little fish in a salad dressing? I love sour cream and Caesar salads. Hate buttermilk though. Blah. How about bleu cheese? "See that big beast over there? The one with the bulbous gland swinging underneath? What we do is we squeeze that gland until juice starts to come out. We leave the juice to lay around until it gets all hard and dry and fungus grows on it. Then we eat it. Delicious!" Yeah, I don't know anything about cheese making but that's how I envision it. So maybe I'm wrong and absinthe would make for some great recipes.

A quick google yielded a couple absinthe recipes (OK, one absinthe and one for absente):

Oysters Rockefeller
http://www.experienceneworleans.com/recipe3.html

Bread Pudding (along with several drink recipes) http://www.crillonimporters.com/Absente/absente-recipes.htm

Here's a page with a slew of absinthe related links: http://www.nuclear-diagnostics.com/Recreation/Food/Drink/Liquor/Absinthe/

Tikifish, if you try any of these let us know how it turned out.

EDIT: Edited for using the word "slew" twice in one post.

[ This Message was edited by: Kono on 2003-12-23 18:59 ]

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-01 2:39 pm   Permalink

I can't believe I missed this thread! My fiance and I enjoy absinthe every so often, and one of the things I look for in my afternoon searches in the thrift and antique stores is an absinthe spoon. No luck so far though.( I just can't lower myself to purchase one new from e-bay)

I must let you know, just adding sugar to it does not make it drinkable. You have to also add water. It changes in a chemical sort of way, turning it from transparent to a sort of translucent milky colour. Very cool. I'd never drink the stuff straight, but with sugar and water, it has a nice anise flavour. The stuff isn't cheap, a nice bottle will run you between $50 and $75 CDN.

Cheers and Aloha,
-Tikiwahine

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-02 3:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:
A quick google yielded a couple absinthe recipes (OK, one absinthe and one for absente):

Oysters Rockefeller http://www.experienceneworleans.com/recipe3.html

BBCode Quote End -->Wow! Used to get those at when we went with our oooold New Orleans family friends to Antoine's (where I think the recipe originated?) We'd get snuck up the back stairs to a private dining room waiting for us ("No reservations" was the official policy in those days - that's how 'Old New Orleans' this well-connected family was!) and eat our brains out. HUGE yum.

And now, alas, Oysters Rockefeller would cause my demise, thanks not to the absinthe, but to a late-in-life food allergy.

Good luck with your cooking attempts!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-21 01:09 am   Permalink

BigBroTiki~

One month ago,
you mentioned that you were having an Absinthe research session at your house. Can you tell us of your findings?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation