FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Absinthe... discuss.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Absinthe... discuss.
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-02-21 01:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-23 18:04, Kono wrote:

I think I'm going to order a kit from these folk: http://www.enjoyabsinthe.com They seem to be really know their stuff. Too bad here in the US we can't just go buy the stuff.

I ordered this kit and made it about two weeks ago. It's really powerful. It was a light and lively kind of drunk feeling- not halucinatory, but definitely unusual. It tastes god awful, even with sugar and water, but I don't like those flavors anyway. I have a little left over for the occasional Dr. Funk. Feel free to ask for it when you next visit the Foggy Grotto.

[ This Message was edited by: martiki on 2004-02-21 01:53 ]

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-21 10:50 am   Permalink

Cool!

Maybe that is the place to try.

I've tried some from Alandia. I ordered several to see if there were noticeable brand variations, but find no effect at all.

The Thujon concentration for their products runs around 30-35 g/kg (not sure of the units). They also run about 70% alcohol, so I figured two ounces to start would be like 4 regular drinks plus the Thujon.

Nothin'.

Perhaps, though, the effect for me is the identical opposite to that of alcohol. I usually really feel two drinks, and after these blasts of absinthe I didn't even notice that feeling.

Tried it 5 more times with different brands, all on an empty stomach - same.

Anybody else seem to not get any effect, per se?

I will try the site you mentioned and see what I might be nissing!

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-21 2:39 pm   Permalink

Here's a guy who sells actual absinthe online in the US.
http://www.andale.com/store?sid=127760&cid=7864292&mode=1&catId=&pnum=&tpages=&psize=&lid=69772412&storeLayout=techno&storeTheme=techno_blue&view=ITEM_DETAIL&newStore=&parentCatId=

Don't know how he gets away with it, but it is still too 'spensive for me. I might try one of those kits Martiki used.

Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-21 5:45 pm   Permalink

I tell you what, this August it looks like we will be doing a Tiki road trip from BC down to Southern CA for our honeymoon.

If this is the case, I will bring a nice big bottle down with me, and all Tiki Centralites whom I encounter can try some!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-21 6:27 pm   Permalink

Uh... With all the stops you'll make between BC and So Cal, you'd better bring two bottles, or there'll be none left by the time you make it down to my neck of the woods...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-21 7:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-21 18:27, Doctor Z wrote:
Uh... With all the stops you'll make between BC and So Cal, you'd better bring two bottles, or there'll be none left by the time you make it down to my neck of the woods...

hehe.. deal!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-21 8:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-21 01:53, martiki wrote:

I ordered this kit and made it about two weeks ago. It's really powerful. It was a light and lively kind of drunk feeling- not halucinatory, but definitely unusual. It tastes god awful, even with sugar and water, but I don't like those flavors anyway. I have a little left over for the occasional Dr. Funk. Feel free to ask for it when you next visit the Foggy Grotto.

[ This Message was edited by: martiki on 2004-02-21 01:53 ]

I forgot about this thread. I received my kit weeks ago but it's sitting in the cupboard. Smells nice tho with all the anise. I'll have to go get a bottle of 151 vodka or pure grain (151 is the max allowed in Florida) and give it a go. I made some absinthe before (a kit from a different seller) and was disappointed. Hopefully this one will be mo bettah.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-21 9:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-21 10:50, Geeky Tiki wrote:

Tried it 5 more times with different brands, all on an empty stomach - same.

Anybody else seem to not get any effect, per se?

Damn you're a trooper! Good job on the psychotronic research frontline. Reminds me of that thread where the kid (smurf?) was talking about drinking a six pack and taking a vicodin. Said he slept until 4pm the next afternoon ("I'll never do it again"). I was thinking it wouldn't even have made me sleepy. I've wondered if the effects of absinthe might be too subtle for some us with gargantuan tolerances. T-Lautrec was a smaller fellow after all.

I'm gonna make an effort to get some vodka and start this kit post haste.

On a similar note...anyone ever have "Cristalizado," an anise based liqueur from either Spain or Portugal? Each bottle had an "interesting" plant stalk in it and the liqueur would actually form a crystalline substance around the twig. Very nice stuff.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-23 1:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-21 17:45, Tikiwahine wrote:
I tell you what, this August it looks like we will be doing a Tiki road trip from BC down to Southern CA for our honeymoon.

Tikiwahine, that sounds great! I took two weeks to do a road trip last May from Seattle to Palm Springs & back. I got lots of great tips from the gang here, and most importantly, I met with a bunch of them the whole way down. If you'd like, feel free to email me (so we don't go off-topic) if you'd like pointers. You can see pics from my road trip
here.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-23 2:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks Humuhumu, I'm on my way to check out your albums! I'll save my chit-chat for an e-mail.
Just to stay on topic,

I've got a HUGE art print of this guy, it's almost as tall as I am!

Apparently, this is a brand of Absinthe, although it looks more like he's opening a bottle of wine or champagne to me!

Great Minds Drink Alike

SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-24 01:27 am   Permalink

Ok, my last bump got lost and I don't think Sven saw it, so here's a repeat:

BIGBROTIKI...

One month ago,
you mentioned that you were having an Absinthe research session at your house. Can you tell us of your findings?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-25 5:16 pm   Permalink

I know I know, I just can't get into it too deeply....

Well it was a gas, Ted Haigh (Dr. Cocktail) mixed an excellent Absinth Exotica cocktail called "Monkey's Gland"!

On the table we had various bottles, my fave was the Absenta MARSELLA, procured by me in the Barcelona bar of the same name, where it is destilled in the 5th generation (the walls there are lined with bottles of ancient long forgotten liquors), and SERPIS Absinth, the red hardcore not Anis flavoured version, to be drunk straight, which I got in Berlin at
http://www.absintheon.de

A fine form of inebriation indeed.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-02-25 17:19 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 3:13 pm   Permalink

Tikifish-Absinthe is an ingredient in oysters rockefeller-if you're an oyster fan.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 3:46 pm   Permalink

Oooh, I AM an oyster fan. Very good.

SO how is absinthe an ingredient in a Dr. Funk? Or is a Dr. Funk just the sort of drink you can splash anything in and it will turn out ok?

I recall enjoying some Dr Funk on the 2nd SF tiki crawl...

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 4:46 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Tried another round with a friend at work.

Still empty stomach.

Used a brand called Alandia "Strong 68" from the Alandia website. They state it has 35mg/kg Thujon and is 68% alcohol.

Had about 175 cc, drank it a little straight (HARD to get down) and then in 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 parts in water. Bit the bullet and added sugar, too.

I'm about 5'9", 175.....I felt buzzed, maybe warmer than usual. Was a big alcohol dose for me, but no notable "enhancement" otherwise.

My coworker is about 5'4", 120 (130? I was afraid to pry) and was normal until we left the building. This was about 90 minutes after we started our session, and she suddenly claimed to be able to see in the dark. Like black and white film in daylight, even though it was full-on night out.

Who's to say, real or placebo. It did make me jealous, that would be cool to see.

So, anyway, I got a warm buzz and was filled with the usual sensation of good fellowship that alcohol in any form brings me. Better than being a nasty drunk, I guess.

The search for the perfect Absinthe buzz continues. I think I'll try that other link people are talking about and see what happens.

Cheers!

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation