FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Absinthe... discuss.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Absinthe... discuss.
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-01 5:34 pm   Permalink

Aloha!
This past weekend my first Absinthe spoon purchase was made!!! It looks to be very old, and with the mark it might be from 1800's Germany, but we're not sure yet.

Here is a picture of the same one, but this particular spoon does not have the stamp ours has.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine 2005-09-15 11:07 ]

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-02 05:16 am   Permalink

My husband suggested we crack open the absinthe last night, but I chickened out and made us a vodka and soda instead, mumbling something about absinthe being 'too complicated... spoon thingy... sugar...' but truth was I'm a little chicken to unleash the fee vert at 10 pm on a monday night.

When we finally crack it, it'll probably have no effect on me and my champion liver, and I'll be disappointed! But I do expect my less alcoholically experienced husband to be running around chasing little green men through the living room.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chase_317
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-04 01:46 am   Permalink

I drank absinthe in Prague back in 2001. Its not what most would think. Well worth it though, especially for 10 cents a shot! Now mix absinthe with a blunt of weed and hash like I did...now THATS an experience.

If ever in Prague, stay in the Clown and Bard Hostel. English speaking, clean, cheap, and has its own bar! Look for the bald Jamaican guy selling weed.

View Profile of chase_317 Send a personal message to chase_317      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
net-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-04 11:45 am   Permalink

I've been told this is the best and closest you can get to the original "Czech Strong".
I haven't tried it yet. Anyways here is the site.

http://www.czechabsinth.com/m/distillery.html

View Profile of net-tiki Send a personal message to net-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-04 12:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-02 05:16, tikifish wrote:
My husband suggested we crack open the absinthe last night, but I chickened out and made us a vodka and soda instead, mumbling something about absinthe being 'too complicated... spoon thingy... sugar...' but truth was I'm a little chicken to unleash the fee vert at 10 pm on a monday night.

I wouldn't worry about it so much, Jane. It's just a very pleasant kick. What is nice is that it is not a "down drunk", but an "up", inspiring drunkeness, and the spoon and sugar on fire thing is just a nice meditational ritual in this day and age of fast consumption. There are no hallucinations, just a happy high, and good deep sleep afterwards. That's all.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-05 11:12 am   Permalink

I went to a pub last weekend and they had a sign welcoming the World Chapion Absinthe drinker. Sadly he wasn't in the pub at the time as I'd wanted to ask him about his brain cell count as well as the size of his liver.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-05 11:49 am   Permalink

Interesting Trader Woody, I wonder how one would become a world champion absinthe drinker?
Is it all about the quantity?
Maybe he just carries around a bottle and has drank it in many different countries?

Does he bring a spoon, sugar, etc., or just drink it straight?(THAT would be impressive)

What is his life expectancy? Has he tried to cut off either of his ears yet? So many questions!!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-05 12:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-05 11:49, Tikiwahine wrote:
Interesting Trader Woody, I wonder how one would become a world champion absinthe drinker?
Is it all about the quantity?
Maybe he just carries around a bottle and has drank it in many different countries?

Does he bring a spoon, sugar, etc., or just drink it straight?(THAT would be impressive)

What is his life expectancy? Has he tried to cut off either of his ears yet? So many questions!!

Heh! I just wanted to take a look at the guy. I would guess the answer to most of my/your questions would have been etched all over his face...

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-13 09:45 am   Permalink

An article for you:

Swiss government supports end to absinthe ban

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 8:46 pm   Permalink

Well I finally got around to making a batch of absinthe from the EnjoyAbsinthe.com kit as mentioned above. I'm off work tomorrow so I've got a mini-rocks glass of it in front of me right now.

My God this stuff tastes like pure unadulterated evil. And that's with it cut 50% with sugar water.

Y'see, last time I made it I used 151 vodka and it was pretty bad. This time I used 151 pure grain and I cannot adequately describe how horrific it tastes. Maybe like eating burned up poisonous bushes covered in tar. But even worse than that.

It smells great though! Like a nice anisette with a hint of wormwood. Tastes like green death.

Before you judge me a wimp, I honestly like cheap Puerto Rican rum on the rocks. The stuff that really burns the palate and the gullet. But Ron Rico tastes like ice tea compared to this stuff. I doubt I'll be able to drink enough to get any "effect" but I'll give it a shot (or two)!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 9:05 pm   Permalink

The elusive Lapu Rocker and I drank half a bottle of the stuff a couple of weeks ago. We set the mood in my new tiki lounge with colored lights and exotica and embarked on the journey. After straining the stuff over sugar cubes using an absinthe spoon, we drank it up. The stuff isn't undrinkable, but sure as hell doesn't taste good. About an hour into the process, we just started laughing uncontrollably. Crazy. Oh yeah, and we got wasted.

Sven's right, the stuff is very up. If I could get past the taste and the price, I'd drink the stuff all the time. I endorse it fully!

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 9:31 pm   Permalink

I've got an absinthe spoon but I'm using it to scrape the detached mucous membrane off the back of my throat. Bleh.

I'd love to try some real commercial euro absinthe. Gotta be better than this. At least my tongue's gone 90% numb.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-25 01:24 am   Permalink

Speaking of absinthe... I ordered a kit from the same guy that Kono ordered his kit from ("Dan" at enjoyabsinthe.com) and I've received nothing but a complete runaround from the guy. I paid for it more than a month ago, but, by his own admission, he screwed up the order and never sent it. Problem is, he STILL hasn't sent it, and now is no longer answering my e-mails. If you're thinking of ordering an absinthe kit, I'd say avoid this guy at all costs!

Any suggestions as to where to get another kit?
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-25 08:23 am   Permalink

I found myself laughing at stupid things too. Mostly myself. It was wonderful. And I didn't find the taste too bad either! It was kinda tasty actually!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bwana Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-26 8:19 pm   Permalink

I've been known to go on an absinth bender from time to time, never tried a kit, sounds like it my not be the way to go. as buzzs (buzzis, buzes, buzzzess?) go its not a bad lot at all. kind of a very lucid drunk if ya ask me. I would suggest spliting a bottle wit a friend, and finish the damn thing too. what makes it fun for me is the ritual of the thing more than the buzz. it is a bit on the spendy side but a good buzz don't come cheap, and a cheap buzz has a mean sence of revenge. so drink up ya little green monsters, I think I'm gonna order up my own self seeing as how the topic came up. Personaly I don't use a special spoon just a teaspoon. I get a TSP of grainulated sugar and wick a bit of green into it and light the bad boy up. as it starts to carmelize I stir it onto the glass, (this flames the absinth)and qiuck like a bunny I dump a short water into it and it goes out. then I slam it and move on to the next fix. I use about 2 jiggers each time. this works out fine for me even if it is a bit off from tradition, but hey I'm from Cali and tradition is not my strong suite.

is this what they mean by the Green Party?
Wooooo Whooo, I'm joining!

View Profile of Bwana Tiki Send a personal message to Bwana Tiki  Email Bwana Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation