FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Absinthe... discuss.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Absinthe... discuss.
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-28 10:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

......and an extra ear!

LOL i got it.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-29 05:25 am   Permalink

A bar here in London uses Absinthe instead of Pernod in their Mai-Tais(this is Dale Degroffs Version), the rest of the ingredients are the same as Don the Beachcombers recipe.
Personally its the best Mai-Tai I've ever tasted.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-29 08:11 am   Permalink

Absinthe in a Mai Tai?? BLECCCHH!! I'll bet Trader Vic is rolling over in his grave at the mere mention of it! With few exceptions, there's no quicker way to ruin a drink than to add absinthe to it, I tell ya... I've made Don the Beachcombers Zombie (the one from "Hawaii: Tropical Rum Drinks & Cuisine") that has both Pernod and absinthe in it, and I swear no fouler concoction has ever passed my lips... Don was really big on Pernod/absinthe for some reason, and indeed, his Mai Tai does call for it. But then again, Don's Mai Tai is a completely different drink than Vic's Mai Tai: in fact, they only have 3 things in common - lime, rum and the name! According to Dale DeGroff's "The Craft Of the Cocktail", the Mai Tai doesn't call for any Pernod/absinthe or most of the other ingredients in Don's recipe. DeGroff's recipe is nearly identical to Trader Vic's recipe.

Absinthe is great on its own (or in a Sazerac - MMMMMmmmm...), but keep it away from tropical drinks!!
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-29 09:30 am   Permalink

I don't claim to be an expert by any means but it tasted good to me, they do serve both recipes and the bar that serves it is owned by the Match Bar group(Degroffs employers) and the Absinthe idea seems to be his if you read the european version of his book. Apparently the US version does't have his.
Doctor Z does your version of the book have the history of the Mai-Tai as well as he says he only found Dons Recipe when it was first published, Its an interesting read

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-29 5:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-29 08:11, Doctor Z wrote:
Absinthe is great on its own (or in a Sazerac - MMMMMmmmm...), but keep it away from tropical drinks!!

I tend to highy agree.

I wonder what it would be like with salmon? Cooked over a BBQ on a cedar plank with all sorts of lemon and fennel is super tasty, I wonder if the absinth could be added to the marination? Hmmm...sounds like an experiment worth trying!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-30 05:57 am   Permalink

tikiwahine, yer getting me hungry for dinner and it's currently 8:00 am for me

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-31 07:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-29 08:11, Doctor Z wrote:

Absinthe is great on its own, but keep it away from tropical drinks!!

...unless you have the recipe for a "Monkey's Gland", which was mixed for me by Ted Haigh aka Dr.Cocktail, a classic that was once offered as containing the name ingredient itself. Astoundingly, tropical flavours and Absinth harmonize delightfully. I hope he will publish it in his upcoming recipe book.

I quite agree about the Mai Tai...just can't picture it with Absinthe. Off course the members of Don's camp will still swear he invented it, but I rather trust Vic's affidavit in the BOT. Funny that even after Don's and Vic's death, myth and controversy surround the Mai Tai.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 10:47 am   Permalink

A vaguely Tiki drink involving absinthe is the Momisette:

2 Shots absinthe
Quarter shot of Orgeat
Pour into ice-filled glass and top up with mineral water & stir.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 1:40 pm   Permalink

Hey Trader Woody, that sounds good!
May have to try that one.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-04 12:17 pm   Permalink

Absinthe legalized in Switzerland:

In January a new law takes effect in Switzerland aimed at rehabilitating the reputation of absinthe, whose distillation, distribution and sale were banned after an absinthe-besotted factory worker killed his wife and two children nearly a century ago.

The new law will allow Bugnon and dozens of other underground absinthe makers to "come out," as one Swiss newspaper put it, seek amnesty and produce absinthe legally.

full story:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/11/04/MNGQD9LM621.DTL

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 5:27 pm   Permalink

I had a taste of this stuff....WHEW!!, like pernod meets morphine. Which brand did you try/do you drink???.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 6:23 pm   Permalink

I had this in Yokuska when I was in the Navy. Before we were given liberty from the ship, some local military police guy gave us a lecture and said absinthe was available in Japan but illegal for American military personnel and we were therefore forbidden to sample it, under penalty of torture, as they say on The Simpsons.

Natually, the first thing everyone looked for was absinthe.

Don't remember the brand. Tasted like licorice. Did nothing for me. Then it was on to boilermakers and beautiful hostesses.

For protecting you so well, fellow taxpayers, you're welcome!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 8:14 pm   Permalink

First off the drink you probably found in Japan at that time was "Hermes Absinthe". It is/was 116 proof and is not really absinthe, it is what the French call a pastis. Literature put out by the Suntory distillery clearly states that "original Absinthe was made from wormwood, which was found to be dangerous, so Hermes Absinthe uses Anis instead" The flavor of real absinthe comes from wormwood, fennel and anis seed (and a handfull of other herbs in lesser quantities according the brand).

I like the stuff and I drink a brand called "Deva Absenta" from Spain which is realativly inexpensive. The best brand I have ever tasted is called Edouard 72. It is a recreation of now banned Edouard Pernod which I am told is very accurate.
It costs $100 a bottle and is available here: http:\\www.bestabsinthe.com

P.S. Even though the first tiki drinks were mixed up after the ban on absinthe. Don the Beachcomber and maybe Trader Vic seemed to be able to obtain it and use it in some of their most famous drinks. Mix with it, it imparts a herbal quality to drinks with out the overwelming anis flavor that most of the absinthe substitutes have.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-09-14 8:45 pm   Permalink

I have a bottle of La Fee absinthe which uses real wormword. From what I've read it's not the best one out there but it's what I found. I picked it up in London when I was visiting there in the spring of 2004. I still have about a quarter of the bottle left. No amazing psychedelic aspects to it. You do however get the buzz of alcohol without the drowsiness but your mileage may vary.

It has been theorized that you need to be a long term drinker of absinthe to get the purported effects you may have read about. The wormwood apparently builds up in your system and then one day...

The laws here regarding absinthe are a bit hazy. I have heard that it is illegal to sell it but not illegal to own it.

La Fee will even ship their product to the US. Check it out:
http://www.lafeeabsinthe.com/

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-14 10:18 pm   Permalink

I tried some new years a few years back. Illegal import into Oz. No idea what brand, the label wasnt in English. Only had half a teeny bit, and still blew me away.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation