FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Past: Seattle, Wash
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Past: Seattle, Wash
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 8:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-02 13:52, Sophista-tiki wrote:
Apparently pieces of decor were being chucked in the water before they hauled the building away.

That's quite a coincidence, as it was ON a piece of decor chucked from a Polynesian restaurant that I found my way eventually to Seattle! What a rocky ride THAT was!

Though this tiki statue may have absolutely nothing to do with Seattle's tiki past, if anyone who lives near me in West Seattle (woofmutt, sophista-tiki, tikiriviera -- I know all of you do) has a camera and the time (I have the time but no camera), go to the house on the NE corner of SW Holden and 31st Ave. SW. There's a fairly large wooden (cherry-stained?) tiki in the front yard. It looks to me to be unique; possibly home-made by an amateur carver. The word 'peace' or 'harmony' or 'life' or 'relax' or some such word is carved on the backside. The house in question has been bought and sold several times in the last 5 years, maybe even rented, so asking the current owners about the tiki may not provide any informative results to its history; but perhaps the agency who handled the property for years may be able to. The tiki statue -- despite the various owners and possible renters -- has been in the front yard for years and hasn't moved an inch.

I've always wanted to approach the current owners of the house and offer them $50 to take that hideous monstrosity away (hoping they didn't like it nor see the value in it, which I doubt they do), but never did.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2008-09-03 12:10 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 12:45 pm   Permalink

Looks like the Roosevelt Hotel once has a Lanai Room with "Exotic Dancing to the Discotheque". Not sure of the Polynesian influence as the woman on the cover looks like a generic exotic waitress.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-31 08:25 am   Permalink

Here is a phone book cover from the Tropics Motor Hotel 225 Aurora Seattle, WA. Obviously a guest "borrowed" it from the motel because it holds a 1974 Portland OR phone book. The actual phone book has some great ads for Trader Vic's and the Kon Tiki which I will scan later.

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 8:14 pm   Permalink

I was trying to find some info on the Tropics Hotel, but realized quickly that there isn't much out there. Here's what I could find:

The hotel is now a Quality Inn Hotel. From the one postcard posted here earlier, you can see that the building still has the same shape, but has been heavily remodeled.

On the Quality Inn site, they have a blog that states that the Tropics was opened in 1956, and it was the host hotel for the 1962 Seattle World's Fair.

I looked at the address on google maps, and found a little something interesting. From the old postcard, you can see that the lobby and restaurant portion on the ground floor had what looks like lava rock walls. Looking at the current building, that portion of the hotel still has those same walls, and there are even a few photos on their website that show those same rocks inside other rooms. Now, if you zoom in on google maps, you can see 2 odd figures on this rock wall. Are these tikis, or more likely their 2 logo figures which you can see on the old matchbook?

Has anyone ever been there and seen these 2 images? Anything else original in this part of the building?

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-30 8:40 pm   Permalink

Tropics Motor Hotel matchbook.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-12-10 1:08 pm   Permalink

A different matchbook for The Tropics Motor Hotel.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-10 1:43 pm   Permalink

Nice! For the first time do we get to see what some of the sign statues looked like: Definitely African, as I suggested in the Safari thread.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-06 12:41 pm   Permalink

Here a a copule of matchbooks from the Tiki Hut and Shell Room in Seattle.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-06 1:25 pm   Permalink

As was discovered in this thread here's the Tiki Hut today:

It seems the layout of Chen's hadn't been altered much (if at all) until they expanded the bar recently. Other than use of natural rock there are no signs of Tiki left. It's not noteworthy inside, but it does have an older restaurant vibe due to it's odd layout and minimal windows.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-04-21 10:58 pm   Permalink

found on craigslist, one of the five original bar lights for sale from the Lynnwood Tiki Hut's Shell Room . I've seen so little from this place I thought I'd post this. tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gold zephyr
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-22 9:08 pm   Permalink

I always appreciate the research and knowledge that comes together here. I recentely visited portland and seatle for the first time. I wasn't able to find a tiki bar in seatle, perhaps I wasnt looking hard enough?

View Profile of gold zephyr Send a personal message to gold zephyr      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-05 10:46 pm   Permalink

I picked up this matchbook from the Tiki Hut and Shell Bar.

The back of the matchbook advertises the two locations; the more well known restaurant in Seattle and the second mystery location in Lynnwood that Tikicoma recently posted the light from.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-22 10:37 pm   Permalink

coaster from tiki hut in Lynnwood,

from a web autobiography of someone who worked in the huts' kitchen in the 1970's.

aloha, tikicoma...

supplying crumbs to the users on Tiki Central.

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-04 09:04 am   Permalink

This ad was in the August 9, 1963 Seattle Times. As far as I can recall I've never come across a reference to the Reef. Kent is 14 miles south of Seattle and is essentially part of the greater Seattle area ("Seattle's" hockey team is based in Kent).

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-04 11:23 am   Permalink

Tiki Kate posted this matchbook from Carroll's Reef and Tiki Room in the Locating Tiki forum.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34464&forum=2&hilite=reef kent

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation