FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Martini Monkey, San Jose, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Martini Monkey, San Jose, CA (bar)
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-24 11:59 pm   Permalink

As far as I know, the only Martini Monkey is in the airport.

Humuhumu (resident expert on South Bay tiki locales), may know a bit more.

[ This Message was edited by: Coco Loco 2006-08-25 00:02 ]

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-19 3:28 pm   Permalink

The Martini Monkey is still doing fine! Just paid a visit and had a very good MaiTai. Although Jay wasn't there the cocktail was still awesome. The mural on the back wall is really fantastic, it's just a bit of shame the rest of the decor doesn't quite live up to the grandeur of the mural. Definately worth the visit!

View Profile of TikiDiego Send a personal message to TikiDiego  Goto the website of TikiDiego     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 11:19 pm   Permalink

I just got home from Martini Monkey myself...Had a sidecar and a Cuba Libre...top notch stuff. Jay usually works nights, but as the Tiki Crowd visits more frequently, the staff is really getting better at the more exotic drinks (as they are orderedmore often now)

I dig the new Tunnel onto Hwy 17...

They are soon going to start having theme party nights for locals...should be a blast.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
maitais4christ

Posted: 2006-10-20 6:39 pm   Permalink

Was in there last week. Jay wasn't there that night either. We've missed him the last 3 or 4 times. We were told that he has been having to do a lot of the behind-the-scenes, back-of-the-house duties lately which has taken up a lot of his time. And he's supposedly working on his own thing outside of the Monkey, but still within the world of bars and cocktails. Hmmm...sounds pretty darn cool to us!!!! And I guess he is considering training for a fight again. The other bartender was telling us he does (or used to do) this full-contact fighting, mixed martial arts type stuff in his spare time. Who knew? Crazy!

P.S. This site is a great resource for tiki and cocktails. Glad I found it. Thanks for creating it!

[ This Message was edited by: maitais4christ 2006-10-20 18:42 ]

View Profile of maitais4christ Send a personal message to maitais4christ      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-30 04:29 am   Permalink

My guy lives in Santa Clara, very nearby. I had read about this place online somewhere, but never noticed where it was located. Flying out of San Jose, my flight was cancelled, and the airline got me another on a different airline, which took me to the 60s-modern terminal where, to my surprise, I ran into Martini Monkey!

My guy'n I are both cocktail fans, I had a few hours to wait, and he was happy to hang out, so we hit this place and had a few drinks. A young lady was tending, and she followed the house recipes which were detailed in a book on the back bar (which she kindly let us browse). I was impressed first by the bitters - Angostura plus cinnamon, orange, lemon, Peychaud's, etc. About six different kinds or so. I know I had a Sazerac, in which they use Pernod, and it was my first - no other will ever beat it. That is, unless they switch to Lucid... My guy bought some (I had previously bought Absente) and I was impressed. Prepare it right and it's something special - I'll bet it adds more to the Sazerac. They had Old Overholt, Peychaud's, everything they needed to do it right! Now, if they pick up some (now locally available) Creme de Violette, next time I'll push aside my usual aversion to Gin... Order an Aviation Cocktail, stare into that cloudy blue sky in my glass, and image I'm a barely post-Prohibition traveler, about to enjoy a drink before taking that most elegant and sophisticated mode of transportation.

Ican't remember what else we had, because I had three drinks and was quite tipsy by the end... and for at least half my flight! Hats off to this place, it's a little jewel in the dreary world of airport amenities. Nicely done, Martini Monkey! He'n I may go back when I fly down this time... Of course, we're also hitting Vegas, and TVs is right across from our hotel, so...

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikikim

Posted: 2009-10-01 10:04 pm   Permalink

Anyone know the latest on the Martini Monkey in the San Jose Airport? I found them listed with this phone number, but it doesn't work: (408) 925-9376. Are they past the security area, or can we non-traveling Tiki drink fans sneak in for some drinks?

View Profile of tikikim Send a personal message to tikikim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-02 9:42 pm   Permalink

Sadly, it is now past security. And none of my flights take that terminal any more. Maybe when the airport's new sections get finished, they'll connect 'em all together. If/when I find out for certain, I'll post here.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation