FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Growing mint
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Growing mint
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-07 12:31 pm   Permalink

Use larger pots then what you might use for other herbs
you will get a much larger leaf, plenty of sun is important
cold temps will kill the plant above ground, but can grow again in the spring
I like English Mint myself, but also grow Pineapple mint.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-02-22 11:22 pm   Permalink

This is a timely topic for me. Knowing a mai tai party was on the horizon, I got three sprouted mint plants (Kentucky Colonel) from a greenhouse that was selling on ebay. I sat them on my kitchen counter directly under a fluorescent light, each little plant in its own 6" plastic pot. 3 weeks later, they've grown quite a bit, but I have small leaves and long stems, and some of the bottom leaves have dead spots. No idea if it's too much water, too little light, or both.

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lunavideogames
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-02-23 3:44 pm   Permalink

Too little light would be my guess.

View Profile of lunavideogames Send a personal message to lunavideogames      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 06:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-01 10:02, 54 house of bamboo wrote:
Moroccan mint is my favourite. What's that called in the US I wonder?

Mentha spicata 'Nana' or 'Moroccan'

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

[ This Message was edited by: 54 house of bamboo 2008-04-01 10:15 ]

I grow my mint indoors and on my balcony during the summer because of our harsh climate (sweden) and it grows like crazy in a large wide low pot and supplies enough mint for my drinks and food. And even though i`m in new orleans during five weeks every summer the mint still just grows with occasional watering from my room companion.

When the fall comes it starts to decline and then i throw it away and re-start with fresh cuttings from the store next spring. I buy Moroccan mint and plant a bunch of cuttings that i first root in a glass of water ( they root very quickly)Then i top them regularly. Never had any problems with growing mint, gotta be the easiest plant on earth to grow.

I have tried a a few other varietes like the chocolate mint for example but in think the best one is the moroccan.

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation