FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Vintage Modern and Tiki collectors???
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Vintage Modern and Tiki collectors???
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 1:20 pm   Permalink

I'm posting in Beyond Tiki since this is not entirely about Tiki, but anyway...

Besides being certifiably Tiki-crazy, Amy and I are huge enthusiasts and collectors of mid-century modern furniture and design. I know other Tiki Central members also collect M.C.M. and I'm wondering how you integrate your interests and collections.

When we lived in a large loft space, everything was sort of thrown in together, now we live in what is closer to a two-flat and things are more segregated. The Tikis are largely contained downstairs in the "Tabu Tiki Lounge" while the upstairs is all vintage modern. There is, of course, some overlap. We have a nice 5 1/2 foot Marquesan Tiki upstairs and a Saarinen womb chair in the Tiki room.

I'd be very interested to hear (and see– post photos!) how others with similar interests have woven them together or if you think that they are stronger and more cohesive as separate environments. I'd also be curious to hear what others who are into M.C.M. are collecting or what their favorite pieces (or dream pieces) are.

-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 3:57 pm   Permalink

It's only my opinion, but I don't mind mixing up styles - as long as they mix well. I wouldn't mix tiki with Early American or something like that, of course.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 4:23 pm   Permalink

Me and my wahine are into M.C.M. The wahine use to own her own vintage store in Orlando for about six years back in the day when you couldn't sale the stuff. She still deals in it but on ebay. We constantly have different furniture traveling thru the house and we are always tradeing stuff out for better or just for the change. Any how we just started to plan out our tiki room and will be putting some M.C.M stuff in it like a Haywood Wakefield Hutch that we'll put our better tiki mugs in, a 70's red fur chaise lounge that we are going to redo in leopard skin, a danish modern floor lamp I just made a reed lamp shade for and some other stuff. They are things we don't want to get rid of but don't have the room for at the same time. So we will integrate them.

Off the subject. A couple of years ago I saw a tiki collector on Extreme Homes I think, is this you?

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 4:57 pm   Permalink

I don't like tiki creeping in elsewhere. I think it's a nice thing to have the two poles of Modern and primitive in the house.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 5:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Off the subject. A couple of years ago I saw a tiki collector on Extreme Homes I think, is this you?

Yea Flounder, That was us. That was over three years ago, in a loft space that had once been a dance hall. Right after they shot that we bought the building we are in now and moved. Good thing too, in the HGTV segment they showed our exact address. So if you wanted to rob us of our Tikis, or just wanted to egg our windows, you knew right where to find us.

Swanky, I know what you are saying. My idea when we got the new space, I thought it would look better if things were kept separate, and the Tiki room was as dense as possible and the modern space as sparse as possible. Of course, if you are a helpless collector, you just eventually start to run out of space. Plus, a little contrast accentuates the different aesthetics.

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 5:51 pm   Permalink

Very cool, I put two and two together from Fatuhiva's wall of tiki thread. I'm so smart. No drunk. ahhh wha

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 6:32 pm   Permalink

I was just listening to an NPR segment on this man's 78 record collection and I could not believe they pretty much outted him. Listened to him talk about his records that are the only ones in the world, etc. and they gave his first and last name and the city he lived in and talked about going in his house and seeing the collection. I thought, "Great, now this poor man will be clubbed over the head for his records. Thanks NPR!"

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 6:46 pm   Permalink

I think Danish Modern and Tiki go well together. Especially dark wood and/or leather pieces. I actually like it better with Tiki than the bamboo/rattan look. Wish I had more.

My goal (and I'm far far from it) is to have a Tiki Bar room that is almost completely Tiki, Hawaiiana, Poly Pop; and to have the rest of the place 70% Danish Modern with 30% Tiki. With a little googie thrown in for the kitchen.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HETO-TIKI
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-12 7:06 pm   Permalink

Boutiki, I caught that show, your loft was absolutely wonderful! I really enjoyed seeing all your Fabulous stuff.
My husband and I own a Vintage Store in Central Florida, so like FlouderArt said we are basically re arranging and swapping all the time. We have an our favorite pieces that always stay but each room evolves as our taste slightly change and we find things that we think are cooler. So we definitely Mix it up! If we stayed truly themed through out the house it would be very hard to work in new finds. Plus I think with most people, the things that you are attracted to and truly dig tend to work together. And it makes your house look like a home and enjoyed and lived in. Like my dining if you looked at the pieces separately you would not think they could possibly work together, but I think they do (50's Modern -70's modern). Our tiki room is tiki, 50's and Danish Modern, which is pretty easy to mix. I would love to see some pics of everyone's decor too, I love looking at house pics. I will post a few in the next couple days.

FlouderArt what was the name of your wife's store? I am sure I have been there?

View Profile of HETO-TIKI Send a personal message to HETO-TIKI  Email HETO-TIKI Goto the website of HETO-TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 7:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-12 19:06, HETO-TIKI wrote:
My husband and I own a Vintage Store in Central Florida,

What's the name of your store? And where are you located?

EDIT: I just looked at your profile. You're the Vintage Volka in Sanford. I've talked to your husband a couple of times but I don't think I've ever met you. Last time I was up there I was telling him about Leeteg and he was teaching me about Witco. I may have met you the first time I was at your shop. I bought a coffee table what was long curved blonde bamboo with a whitish formica type center piece. Cool shop.

[ This Message was edited by: Kono on 2004-01-12 19:33 ]

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-12 7:55 pm   Permalink

HETO and Kono,
I agree about putting things together in a way that works visually, my problem is that we are so hung up on the idea of creating an environment that is as close as possible to an old Tiki bar or restaurant (or at least) rec.-room or basement.

We are the same with the vintage modern. We yearn to have a vintage modern home in the manner of Neutra, Koening, Rudolph, Keck&Keck... Not just to house our collection of modern furniture, but it seems like the most sensible way to organize your family, your life, to LIVE. We have grown to resent our 110 year old building, all cut up with it's tiny rooms. There is not a single load bearing wall, but it predates open plan design by half a century. We had our share of rehab, gutting the kitchen and bath and back bedroom by ourselves, so we won't be knocking down any more walls here soon.

We have also become dealers of vintage modern by default. We were avid collectors for so many years that when we moved in together, we had to decide what we really love and what we could sell in order to fund further collecting. We are actually working on a website to sell the modern stuff... we hope to have that up before too long. So we are in the same boat– we have our favorites that we will most likely never let go of, and then there are pieces that we enjoy and then replace with new favorites. The only problem for us is that we love so much we can never have a place big enough!

I'll try to shoot some photos of our place in order to give an idea of what we have done.

HETO-TIKI
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-12 9:05 pm   Permalink

I would love to see some PICS of your new place boutiki.
Our house was built in 1903 and we also have small cut up rooms, which is very hard to work with. And we also kid about how we will never have a house big enough, we have only been in this house a three years and we have been looking for a new place for the last year and a half. Our store is crammed full, our house is packed and we have a storage unit full to the ceiling. It is sad, LOL ! we know your struggle.

Do you have a pic or idea in mind of what old tiki bar you are going to try and model your area after?

View Profile of HETO-TIKI Send a personal message to HETO-TIKI  Email HETO-TIKI Goto the website of HETO-TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HETO-TIKI
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-12 9:10 pm   Permalink

Hi Kono,
How cool ! I do remember that table ! I am not sure if we have met, I am out and about alot. I am so glad you like the shop, you will have to stop back by in a few weeks, we have a new load coming in.
Are you going to be going to the Hawaiian Inn get together this Saturday ?

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 06:14 am   Permalink

ALthough danish modern and tiki go together well, our all white space age saarinen type chairs / stools and tiki do not, so we split up the 2 styles. Livingroom/dining is all spacey MCM, and the hallway (as seen another thread) is all tiki.

The sparseness of space age modern doesn't work too well with the clutter of tiki!

But like I said, I'm all for the danish modern/tiki combo. Wood is good.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 08:47 am   Permalink

Heto-Tiki, my wifes store was Bangarang on Orange Ave. We have stopped into your place on many occasions. Hope to see you at the Hawaiian Inn.

Kono, your going right?

Boutiki,
Quote:
The only problem for us is that we love so much we can never have a place big enough!

Absolutely. That and I also have a minimalist side to me, that my wife is slowly chipping away at.

tikifish, We use to have the Saarinen set and I talked my wife into getting rid of it, I have been kicking myself ever since but it's been with her foot!

www.flounderart.com

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation