FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Coco Joes -VS- Hip MORE new pics!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Coco Joes -VS- Hip MORE new pics!!
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 12:16 am   Permalink

Aloha ohana,

Being we have all da experts here, will you please jump in!!

Whats up with these 2 companys? ORRRRR, is HIP a part of Coco Joes? they resemble each other a lot ya.
If this subject is already covered in Tiki Quest sorry but I haven't stoped druling ova da pics yet so I'll get to da reading laterz.

If you get da kine that might not be in Dukes book or even if they are, I was just hoping to see some collections. I know it's a pain uploading pics but eh "swhy hod" ("dats too bad" in pigon). I hate it to. but heres a couple of mine.

anyways just wanted to see if you braddahz and sisstahz are HIP to collecting CoCo Joes.......dats my weak punch line.

I jus wen picked these up ova da weekend. I haven't seen this style in Tiki Quest. No year is stamped on....for my beer drinkerz, no born on date!

the bottom is made to look like wood

da base has 64 on da first tiki, 62 on da 2nd and nothing on da 3rd tiki??? know what that means?

4 of my original coco joe molds from 1968.

more pics to come later.

Live Aloha

[ This Message was edited by: gecko on 2004-01-13 00:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: gecko on 2004-01-13 00:21 ]

[ This Message was edited by: GECKO on 2004-02-02 14:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: gecko on 2004-04-22 01:51 ]

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 08:16 am   Permalink

Gecko,

From what I understand, Hip was indeed a part of Coco Joes. I'd love to elaborate, but that's about all I know about the subject!

Very cool molds, by the way.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 09:27 am   Permalink

I have never seen or heard any evidence that HIP was part of Coco Joes. But that does not mean that it could not have been the case. I believe that Coco Joes was the first to make the "Lava" souviner Tikis. I think they began in the mid '60s. I think that HIP Tikis were being produced in the '70s. I think there is a rather distinct difference in the style, and a subtle difference in the manufacture between Coco Joes and HIP.

HIP stands for Hawaiian Island Products, and they also made a line of figurative gift statues of little kids. Sorta' like the Berry "I love you this much" figures, only scarier. They were a really poopy color brown and the ones I've seen were lightweight. They were hollow like Berry statues, but were not filled with sand.

Gecko, I've got peices that combine the Lava and Hapa wood (I think that's a great look) but I've never seen the ones you have there. Very cool! It looks like they added the Hapa wood base to their standard Tiki giving it a nice contrast with the color and texture.

Most of our Coco Joes are in Tiki Quest but I'll scan that Coco Joes catalogue and post it soon.

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 10:06 am   Permalink

Gecko, those are AWESOME! I've never seen lava/hapawood combo before, now I have something new to chase after! These 3 look like other Joes versions of Kane, Ku, and Kanaloa that I have, but that Hapawood base kills me!

I've always wondered about HIP/Joe too, I figured they were in direct competition. sure looks like their approach and their artists were different.

You have MOLDS! that makes you the HIPpest Joes collector around (okay, that was my weak pun). Keep teh pics coming!

aloha,
em.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 10:32 am   Permalink

Great find Gecko my boy! Is it possible that since no one else as yet has claimed to own any like these that you may have some prototypes that were not ever produced in mass quantities???? Love 'em!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 11:47 am   Permalink

8FT Tiki, You really think so? that would be nice! Does anyone else here own some like these? Now you got me curious.

Boutiki, if you get a chance, put your hapa would combo on to so I can see which ones it is that I don't have.

Emspace, I'm no where near what some collectors here have in quantity! i just have a few good ones that make my collection seem good.

TW, thanks for what ya know. Dosen't seem like a whole lot know about the 2 dats why i ask.

a friend of mine has a bad ass panel from coco joes I'll post later.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 11:52 am   Permalink

Actually I herd from another collector that Aquarj on TC has a sweet collection?

aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-01-13 12:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Actually I herd from another collector that Aquarj on TC has a sweet collection?

Thanks Gecko. Depending on who looks at them, the collection is either sweet or sour.

I've never seen those tikis you showed, at least not with the hapawood bases. I probably would've pooped my pants at the opportunity to go to the sale where those molds were available. I think I have tikis made from molds like the two you showed. If I'm thinking of the right one, the Kane one is usually made with "Alii Gold", which is dark brown - not hapawood and not lava. One of their oddball materials. They also made some from sand.

I'm almost positive that HIP and Cocojoes aren't the same. Especially since there are a few other brands that made the same kind of stuff. But I bet HIP and CJs are related somehow - my little pet theory is that HIP was like Arthur Lyman and Cocojoes was like Martin Denny, if you get the idea. Like some guy started out working with Cocojoes and then later quit and started HIP to make the same kind of stuff.

Wanted to post some pics a while back, on the "Cocojoes melting" thread, because there are examples of that bending problem in ALL the brands, not just CJs or HIP. I'll get to that...

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-13 10:39 pm   Permalink

Aquarj,
Dats da best answer I've herd from that question. The Arthur Lymann, Martin Denny thing sounds about right.

Now I'm glad I picked those new ones up with the hapawood bottoms. I knew I had something when I never seen ones li'dat.

Mahaloz for da responce.

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-14 01:42 am   Permalink

Hmmm, I was told a while back that Hip WAS part of Coco Joes, but I can't re-check my source. I assumed that they came out with HIP to appeal to the younger rat-fink inspired crowd because the normal Coco Joes stuff was mainly being bought by old-fart vacationers.

Perhaps there's a way of checking a list of businesses in Hawaii in the 70's?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-14 06:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-14 01:42, Trader Woody wrote:

Perhaps there's a way of checking a list of businesses in Hawaii in the 70's?

Trader Woody

channel the spirit of jack lord?

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-14 08:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

Boutiki, if you get a chance, put your hapa would combo on to so I can see which ones it is that I don't have.

Gecko,
Here is the photo of the Tiki with the Hapa wood base. Another piece with the Lava/Hapa is the ashtray on page182 of T.Q.

Did you get the three Tikis from your neighbor who went to the liquidation sale? I imagine that at that sale, there were some very cool and rare prototypes and odities. It would have been so cool to have been there!

Aquarj is right on about the Kane being made of Ali Gold, that's the only way I've ever seen it. It's in T.Q. on page 167, middle row, left. The other mold you show is for the Tiki on the top right of page 170. You need to find the Tikis that were made from those molds so you can display them side by side.

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-14 12:27 pm   Permalink

Gecko, I think you should use the molds to make tiki icecubes for your next luau (provided it wouldn't damage the molds or make the ice taste funny), or maybe use them to shape butter or pate.

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-14 1:17 pm   Permalink

Hi Gecko,
Here is an interesting page on how the HIP process is applied. I wonder if the word HIP (that was actually a molding process term) was just turned into the name of a company or Coco Joe's placed the word HIP on their items to identify the process manufacturing of the item(?)(Japan).

http://www.kobelco.co.jp/p109/05/p164_6e.htm

Here are some HIP Presses:
http://www.aiphip.com/WebPages/hip.htm

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-01-14 13:34 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-14 4:59 pm   Permalink

my very first Tiki was a Kanaloa by Coco Joe, since then I have gotten lots of other Coco Joe's goodies inculding ash trays and napkin holders but I have never heard of HIP. Thats what I love about this stuff there's always something undiscovered to learn about.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation