FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Exotica LP available for download
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Exotica LP available for download
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-19 4:27 pm   Permalink

"An Evening At The Royal Tahitian"
Ok, so here is a memento for those of you who are avid collectors of long gone Tiki watering holes! This is an LP that features the entertainers at the Royal Tahitian which was in Ontario California (east of Los Angeles). The LP appears to be produced by the RT itself. Featuring a very slow version of "Quiet Village"

CHECK IT OUT - but hurry, this will only be up for a short time!
http://www.gearconcepts.com/rt

[ This Message was edited by: mriddle on 2004-07-19 16:28 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mriddle on 2004-07-19 16:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mriddle on 2004-07-19 16:30 ]

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 02:21 am   Permalink

Thank you very much for posting the album of the Royal Tahitian. I live about 15 minutes away from the building (which is now a golf course) and I am always trying to learn more about it.

The golf people that are there now are rude, and could give a crap less about the history. In fact the city will tear down the building soon to make a new club house.

Nothing cool is left except the structure. The bridge out front is still there along with an old bent gas torch. Some big lava rocks in the back......but nothing else really cool.

Thanks again for the album

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mriddle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 10:55 am   Permalink

Erich,
Sorry to hear about how little remains of the original place. Its sad to hear that the city is going to tear it down soon too. Get out there and take some pics of what's left. I've been wanting to take a drive out there and see it for myself. I guess I better get out there soon. Glad you like the LP!
Cheers

View Profile of mriddle Send a personal message to mriddle  Email mriddle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LavaPants
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-21 1:47 pm   Permalink

Wow!!!!!! Great stuff!!!! Thanks for the Exotica. Beggars cant be chooooosers, but does anyone have a copy of Hawaiian Tattoo by Martin Deny that they could put up? I love that album and can't find it anywhere.

Thanx

View Profile of LavaPants Send a personal message to LavaPants      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingslod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 7:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the "previews" of the LPs! It's always strange when you hear the ambient noise of the turntable emenating from your computer.

View Profile of kingslod Send a personal message to kingslod  Email kingslod Goto the website of kingslod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 09:49 am   Permalink

Kingslod,
Yeah I know what you mean! I had made the digital move back in the late 80's and hadn't put needle to vinyl in more than 10 years! I've got back into LPs after realizing that most of the exotica out there will probably never be on CD. I'm trying to balance my digital bias with my growing collection of analog LPs. I must admit I have grown to accept a kind of retro-cool aspect to hearing this older music with a few pops and clicks.

[ This Message was edited by: Digitiki on 2004-07-22 09:51 ]

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-11 02:03 am   Permalink

There's an obscure Les Baxter album called 'Alakazam the Great' available for download here:

http://www.basichip.com/

It's a childrens album about a monkey with Rat Pack-esque songs. Not his most Tiki album by a long stretch, but an interesting one for completists. (And those whose kids are into Sinatra).

Be quick, though - it's another that's just up for a week!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-09-13 6:17 pm   Permalink

Here's yet another semi-exotica LP for download!

It was the cover that originally attracted me, thinking it would be yet another Crown Records surf cash-in LP where they present some generic instrumental twist music and wrap it in a surfy cover. But it's not surf at all! From the beginning of the first song, I heard the percussion and thought "oh cool, this sounds like good exotica!" But then in other songs the flute comes in with the sort of slow mambo rhythm, so doubts creep in that maybe it's latin jazz. Well, you can decide for yourself! There's one song in particular I can't get out of my head - Polynesian Hayride. Just keep humming it over and over.

As usual, this might be just for a few weeks or so, and then it'll be time to post another one!

*Update - the tracks above ain't on the web anymore, although the cover image will stay. The music download link above will always lead to something, just not the same LP in this old post.

-Randy

[ This Message was edited by: aquarj 2005-08-01 23:46 ]

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WheelerIsland
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-13 9:34 pm   Permalink

Hey Lavapants, (responding to your shout out for Martin Denny's "Hawaii Tattoo".)

I have Mr. Denny's "Hawaii Tattoo" (as well as most others of his if anyone's looking for something in particular) and I am more than happy to share anything from out of my collection but I am a caveman when it comes to computers and have not yet figured out how to transfer an LP to my hard drive, let alone put it out on the web. So if there is anyone in the L.A. area who has it down to a science and wants to offer an assist, let me know.

[ This Message was edited by: WheelerIsland on 2004-09-13 21:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: WheelerIsland on 2004-09-14 10:22 ]

View Profile of WheelerIsland Send a personal message to WheelerIsland      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Here's yet another semi-exotica LP for download!

What a SUPER exotica album! This is the kind of exotica I dig the most. Thanks for the post!

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 1:40 pm   Permalink

Thanks, aquarj -- downloaded the album and am enjoying it very much -- agree it's more "loungey" than surf -- but just love every bit of it!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-15 4:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:
What a SUPER exotica album! This is the kind of exotica I dig the most. Thanks for the post!

Indeed! This is an excellent album. Thanks for sharing it.

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
davew
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-09-17 09:53 am   Permalink

very cool,thanks for sharing!

View Profile of davew Send a personal message to davew  Email davew     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 6:44 pm   Permalink

Tak Shindo's "Mganga" is now up at http://www.bellybongo.com/links/sharity.html

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-17 7:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-17 18:44, Selector Lopaka wrote:
Tak Shindo's "Mganga" is now up at http://www.bellybongo.com/links/sharity.html

Yes!!! Thanks for the heads up!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation