FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Oceanic Arts, Whittier, CA (store)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Oceanic Arts, Whittier, CA (store)
gwenners
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-08 11:56 am   Permalink

My sister and I stopped in at Oceanic Arts two weeks ago, and I would heartily agree that the place has got it all. I also thought the Martin Denny on the overhead just added to the experience.

Here's a shot I took just after entering.:

I was on a light budget this trip to L.A., so I only made it out of there with one moai-esque wooden "door pull" for the wall.

I, however, did not find the folks to be as friendly as others have indicated. One female employee was friendly, but an older gentleman (who I believe was Bob, from photos) rang me up, and seemed less than thrilled. Maybe it was just a bad day.

I'll still be back -- way too much there to keep me away.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

[ This Message was edited by: gwenners on 2005-02-08 12:00 ]

View Profile of gwenners Send a personal message to gwenners  Goto the website of gwenners     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rorysm
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-10 06:41 am   Permalink

So exactly what kind of sign did they make for Bob Dole? I followed that campaign closely and even worked at the Republican National Convention in San Diego and don't remember any wooden signs at all! Unless there was some high-level only beach themed party (which is quite possible, because I found myself in quite a few parties that you wouldn't normally expect of Republicans!)

View Profile of Rorysm Send a personal message to Rorysm  Goto the website of Rorysm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-10 11:32 am   Permalink

Was Jeff there?

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 3:52 pm   Permalink

Von Tiki and I visited Leroy and Bob who stayed open late after we got stuck in traffic and phoned them in route. Didn't this happen to Hanford?
We arrived after closing time but they were both gracious and allowed me to photograph their incredible warehouse long after closing time.

I had last seen Leroy and Bob in 1963 when I accompanied my mother Ione on a buying trip for the Trade Winds. Leroy said he remembered Ione from the Trade Wind project 44 years ago.
Von Tiki returned with Bob who said to me" You haven't been here since you were a kid!"
I was amazed, "You remember me from over 40 years ago?" Bob replied, "No, but thats what Von Tiki just told me." We all had a good laugh and I was like a kid in a toy store while I took these photos.
Now I have to go back and take my time but here are some pictures for now.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-04-04 15:58 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-04 6:43 pm   Permalink

Ojaitimo ~ Mahalo for posting your pics. SoccerTiki and I love visiting Oceanic Arts and visiting with Bob, Leroy, & Suzie

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 8:43 pm   Permalink

Isnt there supposed to be a big anniversary event coming up soon?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-05 09:31 am   Permalink

We stopped in to see Reloy ( ) and Bob a couple weeks ago, and they said the big anniversary bash was put on hold, maybe even cancelled. Once they found out what it was going to involve, they reconsidered having anything big. But if you look at the counter in Ojaitimo's first picture above, you will see one thing that will be available to commemorate their 50th!

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-21 03:03 am   Permalink

I had a couple of pics of Tiki Al and myself from a recent visit down to Oceanic Arts. I meant to post these earlier, but I forgot about it. Anyway...here they are.

The first shot has Al on the left and me on the right in front of the rare mug cabinet. Several cool things in there, including my own personal holy grail, the Don the Beachcomber head mug. Some day I'll find one in the wild...

The second shot is of Al posing in front of his tikified Suzuki Samurai. You've probably seen this at Los Angeles events and wondered about it. The tiki torches on either side are solar powered and more impressive at night, but it's still a great shot. Al said the inspiration for the Samurai was to make it look like an old army vehicle that had been stranded on a deserted island without any standard parts to keep it running...so it has bamboo throughout. Other features include a glowing blue resin skull shift knob and a tiki hood ornament. Each time I see it there's something new. Very Cool!

We had a great chat with Leroy and finished up the trip with lunch at Bahooka's before calling it a day. I could go back to Oceanic Arts again and again. It's like going to Disneyland.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Puki

Posted: 2007-05-21 11:48 am   Permalink

After getting a message about the LE mug from Tiki Farm, the wife and I went to Oceanic Arts last Friday because it was my B-day weekend, figured we'd stop by there before going to Disneyland. My imagination ran wild with ideas for our new home that we are Tikifying parts of. It's a great place to walk around and see whats available and get ideas. They have binders on the counter with pictures of various Tiki/Polynesian projects, which also helped spark ideas.

I hadn't thought of renting stuff, but Mrs was interested in renting some signs and props for an upcoming party this summer.

I particularly enjoyed the collection of Tiki mugs and old stuff from the past. [not for sale] They have a decent selection of new mugs too. As a B-day gift for me, we picked up one their limited edition Oceanic Arts Mugs by Tiki Farm. I haven't broke the tape seal on the box yet, but I'm going to, I'm anxious to read the little booklet on the history of Oceanic Arts.

My wife saw some Bamboo bar stools that were slightly damaged, Bob made us a very reasonable offer if we took all 4, so we did, they look great in the room we are decorating.

Overall a nice experience, will definitely be going back as we have ideas and need materials and decor. [ouch wallet]

View Profile of Puki Send a personal message to Puki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T1K1 LEE
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-09 8:51 pm   Permalink

Yo Ho and Hello,
Made my own pilgrimage to "Oceanic Arts" this last Saturday. Wow, what and awesome hour.Got some advice on drying palms and carving of said palms. Everybody was very help-full, patient and answered may questions. Here are some of the pic's I took trying not to double up on the previous posting's

My daughter wishing and dreaming

[ This Message was edited by: T1K1 LEE 2007-07-09 20:55 ]

View Profile of T1K1 LEE Send a personal message to T1K1 LEE  Email T1K1 LEE Goto the website of T1K1 LEE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-07-09 9:41 pm   Permalink

WOOOHOO! Tiki-rrific Pics! Mahalo for taking the time to post them

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DC's Kona Club

Posted: 2007-07-09 10:12 pm   Permalink

Nice pic's bro! Nothing like being in Tiki Heaven! Maybe a gift for Christmas under the tree this year? Naughty or Nice???

View Profile of DC's Kona Club Send a personal message to DC's Kona Club      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mouse Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-11 11:05 am   Permalink

.........Great pics!!!! Thanks for sharin with us...........Remy

View Profile of Mouse Art Send a personal message to Mouse Art  Goto the website of Mouse Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SpaceAgeCity
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-01-02 9:15 pm   Permalink

I was just at OA on New Year's Eve and thankfully it (unlike other SoCal tiki temples) is just as amazing as ever. You could spend months in there and still not see everything.

Here's a web page about OA that I put together many moons ago:
http://www.spaceagecity.com/tiki/oa/index.htm

CJ

View Profile of SpaceAgeCity Send a personal message to SpaceAgeCity  Goto the website of SpaceAgeCity     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-28 7:40 pm   Permalink

JOHN-O's Non-Tiki Guide to the SGV (when visiting the Bahooka or Oceanic Arts)........

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=34079&forum=16&1

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2009-10-01 18:36 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation