Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-22 11:47 pm   Permalink

I haven't seen this before. and check out "The Skipper Kent Collection"
Mahalo,
Al

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3269030941

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2004-01-22 23:48 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-23 12:10 am   Permalink

Wow, we could see a new record set here - 200 bucks with nine days still to go? Whew! Beautiful mug tho...

em.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-23 08:43 am   Permalink

WOW!!! I have "never" seen that mug before. It is gorgeous. It's a good thing I don't collect mugs though like I do menus, I would never have any money. Good luck to the winning bidder. Are you going for this Shelly?

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cool Manchu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-23 09:01 am   Permalink

I saw that bowl last night. Its simply incredible IMHO. I wish I could find a way to get my cheap ass self to cough up the 800 or so bucks this thing will sell for.

With the condition, it could go more.

Especially considering that a Frankoma War God mug (the smaller one) sold for over 700 bucks and the Kahiki "Planter" bowl sells for around that range as well and they are most likely more common than that bowl...

View Profile of Cool Manchu Send a personal message to Cool Manchu  Email Cool Manchu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-23 10:40 am   Permalink

It's so cool to see a new mug/bowl that no one has seen before! Even after collecting for years and scouring ebay regularly, a new mug like this can pop up at any time- I love it!

These guys have been selling off a bunch of stuff over the last year that was supposedly owned by Kent. So, that adds some credibility to where it may have been used. If it was marked like the other Skipper Kent's bowls then it would be an even bigger find!!
...could even have been a sample bowl from a company that was trying to get Kent's to use their stuff...?

...am I going to "borrow" the photos and put them in the tiki gallery?? ...hmmmm...of course!!

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-23 11:17 am   Permalink

It is really stunning. Why oh why does this pretty one have to be so rare??

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-23 9:35 pm   Permalink

Wowheeee! Never saw this before!

....wwwwwait! I think they just made this...that can't have been used there! Why do they not show the inscription!
(desperate ranting of my inner voice trying to reason with my Gollum "Me want" reaction)

Oh well...nice to see something new, yeah yeah. Sigh.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fartsatune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-24 01:15 am   Permalink

Wow, sure wish the Super 7 had gone to me tonight!!!

View Profile of fartsatune Send a personal message to fartsatune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-24 4:14 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-10 13:45 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-27 9:24 pm   Permalink

This is where the Mystery Tiki People come out of the woodwork - it is now nearly $400, and the high bidder is "allstarpimp" with only 6 feedbacks. Who???

, em.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-27 10:22 pm   Permalink

This IS shaping up to be the new Holy Grail of Tiki- Nobody I know has ever seen it before.

It more and more seems like a sample made for Skipper Kent by a pottery company, to get orders.

WHO made his other mugs? Maybe they also made this one time attempt.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-27 10:25 pm   Permalink

YOWWWW, that's some dish! The colors and design are beautiful.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-28 04:47 am   Permalink

Alnshely wrote:
Quote:
I haven't seen this before. and check out "The Skipper Kent Collection"

Here is the set of salt and pepper shakers they are offering:
http://www.galwest.com/collectibles/skipper_kent/ceramics/tiki_saltpepper2.htm

The Williams Gallery states they were "made exclusively for Skipper Kent's Restaurant, San Francisco," but I found a pair this past weekend marked "Disneyland" that (provided they are the same size) look to be the same thing with the same finish. I haven't shot a pic of my shakers yet, but here is a set that went on ebay recently: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3267440276&category=29460

What is the age of the Disneyland moai shakers? It would be interesting to know if their date range correlates to the stated age of the Kent shakers. And if thats an OMC sticker on the ebay shakers, perhaps they made they made the bowl too.

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-01-28 04:48 ]

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-28 04:52 am   Permalink

Ooops, I broke a link in my last post. Here it is: http://www.galwest.com/collectibles/skipper_kent/ceramics/tiki_saltpepper2.htm

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-28 08:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-27 21:24, emspace wrote:
This is where the Mystery Tiki People come out of the woodwork - it is now nearly $400, and the high bidder is "allstarpimp" with only 6 feedbacks. Who???

allstarpimp is a friend of mine. He's a VERY SERIOUS collector who's been collecting for many years. He has over 400 mugs (with lots of prototype designs & one-offs) and dozens of carvings. He's a purist who only comes out on eBay for the really rare stuff.

Poly-Pop *

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-01-28 08:13 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation