FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving BENZARTs Carvings, FIRST thread 04-09-2006
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
BENZARTs Carvings, FIRST thread 04-09-2006
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 08:05 am   Permalink

I like this one you have up above. Was it easier to do one like that or about the same? Is that the mug coming out? Cool Ben

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 08:14 am   Permalink

Really, really nice Ben. Of course, that sounds redundant because I can't imagine you doing anything that wasn't incredible.

Tell you what, just send me your next piece and I wont show your doctor these pics of you going against his advice.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 08:16 am   Permalink

Great Tiki. The wood grain really pops. I like the simplicity of your cuts.

How do you like using the ZebraWood? I've been working with it on the lathe and I don't like the way that the darker grain is harder that the lighter. But it sure is pretty.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 08:22 am   Permalink

Hey Ben, I have a question. I recently bought a piece of Pua Rosa wood. It's a dark reddish color with a really tight grain. It looks very pretty, but it's hard as hell. I'm starting to carve it, but I'm not use to the hard wood and I'm just cutting the crap out of my fingers without making much of a dent in the wood. Do you carve your really hard woods with hand tools at all, or are you just using the power stuff at this point?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 09:46 am   Permalink

Thanks guys. This is a Jungle Trader design that I did a mini version of for him.

teaKEY, it was easier in some ways than the Moai because there was not as much detail and harder in some because it had to look like the original.

AlohaStation, the Zebra wood is a love/hate relationship. It's really beautiful but very hard and the differences in hardness in the grain colors IS Very difficult to work with, especially where you need straight lines or fine detail. But the grail is Powerful and really gets attention.

Finky, don't make the tiki gods angry, they don't like blackmail and may come out at night and yank off your toenails, but thanks for the comps. When carving the hard wood it is better to use power tools as much as possible. This guy was done with ALL Power except for the inscription on the back. The previous one's detail was done with the hook knife mostly and I went thru a few blades. It actually looked like I was carving rocks with them.

Again this is a mug that Jungle trader has coming out so see him for the mug. Thanks again.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 10:39 am   Permalink

Glad to see your back at it. I love the simple lines of that guy. But not that easy to carve I bet.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 4:06 pm   Permalink

That Zebra wood looks awesome, but I bet there aren't many carvers that can tame it. You even gave your Moai teeth!

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 4:39 pm   Permalink

It is sweet because it's simple and accurate yet sooooo Tiki and full of charachter. Keep up the mastery Ben.

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-07 7:52 pm   Permalink

Rodeo, I'm not "Back" at it yet, just getting my feet wet a little sooner than ole doc wants but I'm takin' it eazy
This was pretty easy to carve because I used all power tools and any carving is easy if you have the right tools.
Raffertiki, again if you have the right tools you can master ebony, The teeth for the Moai came with a saw blade for the foredom. A 1/8" circular blade, 1/32" thick.
McTiki,,again this is a Jungle Trader design that I am copying on a mini scale. You will have to ask him when the mug will be available. I'd say for Oasis. It IS a Nice looking tiki. Nice classic lines and some personality to boot

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 3:08 pm   Permalink

Heres one I have been working on for a long time and figured it was about time to finish him up. He is Black Walnut and about 4" tall.

Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 3:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-08 15:08, Benzart wrote:
Heres one I have been working on for a long time and figured it was about time to finish him up. He is Black Walnut and about 4" tall.

just gorgeous. thanks for sharing your masterful works w/ us!

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 3:28 pm   Permalink

The detail on that is beyond words for me.
Simply amazing!
Who ever gets this is one lucky person.
Thanks for sharing Benzart

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 6:03 pm   Permalink

He looks like Nicholas Cage.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 8:20 pm   Permalink

TikiChris Thanks for the props, I couldn't think of carving anything without sharing it here on TC. After all TC is responsible for my getting back to carving in Feb of 2004.

RodeoTiki, I'm not sure how amazing he is but I AM porud of how he turned out.

Swanky, I kept saying this guy looks like someone and banging my forehead with my palm but it Never came to me
Nicholas Cage, he Does look like him. That has been driving me CRAZY, Big Mahalos. You win the contest...a parrot bar with JB singingone of his worst songs.
Thanks everyone.
I'm going thru my list to see who wanted a maori moko.
Happy

congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-08 9:46 pm   Permalink

can't say it any better than all the other
guys....just nice to see you back...

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation