FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Does anyone know anything about the Zamboanga?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Does anyone know anything about the Zamboanga?
patricia

Posted: 2006-11-03 11:54 am   Permalink

This is fantastic! My son, Archipelago, informed me about the site, and I think I can make some interesting contributions.

My father, Joe Chastek, first was introduced to Polynesia when he and a high school buddy stowed away to the Philippines when they were both 17. After that, he became so immersed in the culture that it literally became his whole life until he died in 1995. He was one of the first to open a nightclub with the South Seas motif. His first was the Zamboanga, where he entertained movie stars and sports celebrities. The Zamboanga was featured on the TV Biography series that discussed early 1940's South Seas nightclubs in Los Angeles. His second nightclub was the Tradewinds. His third, the Vagabond's House was on Wilshire Blvd in LA, and was incredibly popular with, again, movie stars and sports celebrities.

I have been communicating with a man who is writing a book about Don Blanding, who wrote the original poem, "Vagabond House". He and my father were acquaintances, and I am fortunate enough to have some of their correspondence and a picture of Don. My son has posted a few pictures from the Zamboanga, which I was pleased to see. One of Joe's close friends at that nightclub was Johnny Weismuller. I have a very early picture of the two of them, and then have a later one taken at the Vagabond's House years later.

View Profile of patricia Send a personal message to patricia  Email patricia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Archipelago

Posted: 2006-11-03 12:33 pm   Permalink

Here's some more...
This 1st pic is of Joe Chastek & Spike Jones at the Zamboanga. You can see the tailess monkeys in the background behind the glass.

Here's one of the menus...

And here's a Luau ticket...

More to come...

View Profile of Archipelago Send a personal message to Archipelago  Email Archipelago     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TofuJoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-03 3:00 pm   Permalink

Wow! Thank you so much for sharing this!

View Profile of TofuJoe Send a personal message to TofuJoe  Goto the website of TofuJoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-03 3:07 pm   Permalink

Holy Smokes! There were ACTUAL LIVE MONKEYS behind glass there?! Wow! You just would never see that now-a-days.

I find this incredibly intriguing.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 06:07 am   Permalink

My wife is from Zamboanga. It's a beautiful port city with lots of old charm, and is thriving despite the bad news often associated with it. One thing to bear in mind is that if separatist violence occurs, say, 100 miles from Zamboanga, the story will be "datelined" Zamboanga as it is the biggest city in the region. This often gives the impression that the problem occurred in the Zamboanga City, even when it didn't. To paraphrase the old Merril Lynch commercial, we're bullish on Zamboanga.

Of likely interest to many TCers, there is a famous bamboo tree house in Pasonanca Park in Zamboanga City. Google and/or Google Images " pasonanca park zamboanga tree house " and lots comes up. The following is from
http://www.jetlink.com.ph/~zambo/tree.htm :
TREE HOUSE
at Pasonanca Park

Any visitor, foreign or native, who comes for a brief sojourn hereabouts may ask for a reservation of the Tree House through the Office of the City Mayor. The stay is for FREE, but it is only good for a night or two, to give everybody a chance, it being the one and only of its kind in the city and in the country...

ZAMBOANGA TREE HOUSE
Elizabeth Stafford
Pasonanca Park Tree-House
September 30, 1963

From the heart of an Acacia tree
Come these words from me to thee
In a tree-house I now stay
My third day, out Zamboanga way.

Leafy boughs frame screen-tight windows
and sky is etched in swaying palm-frond rows.

Beyond shines the Celebes Sea
while close around "my" tree
Brilliant bougainvilla reaches up to me.

The rainbow tips a bird's wing
While friendly Filipino voices sing.
In pretty Pasonanca Park
Where Tree-House living is a lark
A stream-fed pool
Invites a swim that's cool.

There's room for two
But one alone "can do"
With frig and lightss
And comfort for all rites.

At dusk and dawn
A cricket combo will help you yawn.
Rare fruits tease
Sun-sweet breezes please.

How much: much No price!
It's just to be nice
To City Guests who stay
Out Zamboanga way.

But of pesos -- leave a few
La Lavandera will wash for you.

This sweet little scheme
For enchantment - whose dream?
That of Cesar Climaco, a mayor
With imagination of his mind plus hair.

For every visitor out Zamboanga Way
This my heart is glad to say.

Impressions of other guests:

PAKISTAN AMBASSADOR MALIK: "To live on the tree top without being uncivilized is heavenly." 1963

American actor, JEFFREY HUNTER: "The perfect story of romance! An adventure in a tree-house in the distant reaches of the Pacific! Zamboanga, a name that fires the imagination, a name that is synonymous with friendly, smilinmg people. More wonderful than fiction is the fact that Zamboanga is now our most treasured memoir of the Philippines." 1962

PAULINE BUSS, 4-H Club, Michigan: "I will always remember my night in the tree house. It was so much fun. This house and park really add to the beauty of Zamboanga." 1965

**(end of quote)**

By the way, that ditty about the monkeys with no tails is suddenly and inexplicably sung by the female lead in the Frank Sinatra movie, A HOLE IN THE HEAD, which is rather corny but hey, is in Miami in 1959, which makes it cool despite it all. It was the first time my wife and I ever heard it and we suddenly turned to each other with shocked expressions (then rewound the video and relistened to it about five times to make sure). A funny moment.

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 09:27 am   Permalink

The more I think of it I'm proud, in a funny way, of the fact that the mean-spirited, racist meaning behind the "monkeys with no tails" thing (the idea that it's actually referring to the people, and therein lies the "joke," which now seems so obvious and unavoidable now that it's been pointed out) hadn't even occurred to me at first. Makes me feel like I was "innocent" in a good kind of way. And now the idea kind of fills me with a sour disappointment, though one easily dismissed, thank goodness.
**Edited to add: Lovely artifacts from the "other" Zamboanga presented here, and great discussion! I hadn't known about the establishment at all. I don't wish to derail the topic from that primary focus but there had also been some discussion of the actual city interweaved here as well.**

[ This Message was edited by: Thomas 2006-11-08 09:32 ]

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 2:30 pm   Permalink

Anyone know the recipe for a Tailless Monkey cocktail?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2006-11-22 6:54 pm   Permalink

I drove by the Zamboanga’s address to see what it looks like now as the Jackie Robinson American Legion Hall. The front still has the big wide curved line design. I don’t know what you would call that. Anyway I was taking pictures for less than two minutes before someone came out and half-angrily across 4 lanes of traffic asked, “What’s going on?” I replied with “Just taking pictures of the building.” I should have crossed the street and explained more but they went inside. I later tried to Google the Jackie Robinson American Legion Hall to see if they had an email address so I could explain and see if anything inside was still intact but couldn’t find any email.

According to some event calendars that I came across on Google they have live jazz there sometimes so maybe part of it is still intact.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2006-11-22 18:55 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-22 7:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-03 15:07, Haole'akamai wrote:
Holy Smokes! There were ACTUAL LIVE MONKEYS behind glass there?! Wow! You just would never see that now-a-days.

I find this incredibly intriguing.

Hey Red,

You got to go to the Kon Tiki Tucson and meet Thor. You can sit at the bar and watch him chill on his trunk. Big ass monitor lizard!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
edvanforte

Posted: 2007-07-07 11:17 am   Permalink

I remember this place from my childhood. There was a huge gorilla, probably would have
stood about 8 feet tall, sitting on the parapet of the front wall. The sign, as I recall it,
said, "Zamboanga, Home of the Tailless Ape!" I never went inside, being a kid, and I didn't
know that Zamboanga was a Phillipine Island, rather than someplace in Africa. It sure would
be fun to see, if someone had a picture of the building with the ape in place.

View Profile of edvanforte Send a personal message to edvanforte      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation