FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Trad'r Sam, San Francisco, CA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Trad'r Sam, San Francisco, CA (bar)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 11:05 pm   Permalink

Had a fun time with Mrs. DC at Trad'r Sams last time I was in SF. Stayed at a friends house who lived within walking distance so that was nice. The signature sign outside was busted that night, bummer to have missed that.

Came across some images of amazing old artifacts from Trad'r Sams, thought I should post them here.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-04 11:42 am   Permalink

I finally found a reasonably priced Trad'r Sam matchbook.

And just for the heck of it, here's a picture of Tikitastic enjoying a very large pink drink. All of my photos from Trad'r Sam show absolutely none of the decor. (Not that there's a ton of decor to show.)

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-13 10:40 am   Permalink

Trad'r Sams was listed in the Guardians top San Francisco dive bars...

Quote:

San Francisco's famed Tonga Room features indoor rain showers in its tiki-themed splendour. The dive bar equivalent is Trad'r Sam (6150 Geary Boulevard, +415 221 0773) - no one knows what happened to the "e" - which features enough bamboo to choke a panda and, as an impressive touch, a pinball machine themed around Johnny Mnemonic - a terrible pre-Matrix Keanu Reeves film that hardly deserves to be eulogised in an arcade game).

The Guardian, Saturday 12 September 2009

Full article here -
San Francisco's best dive bars
A real American drinking den should be dark, slightly seedy and full of local characters. Nowhere does the dive bar better than San Francisco.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 08:40 am   Permalink

A Trad'r Sam Napkin won by Bifcozz on ebay.

I still need to find that matchbook.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-11-27 15:22 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 12:31 pm   Permalink

I will have to hit this place up when I am up North around Christmas time.
Gotta dig the vintage rattan in there .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bifcozz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-11-27 1:47 pm   Permalink

wow what are the chances of two napkins from tradr sam having the same exact stains and creases because the picture of the one im posting came in the mail to me last week

View Profile of bifcozz Send a personal message to bifcozz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 3:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-27 13:47, bifcozz wrote:
wow what are the chances of two napkins from tradr sam having the same exact stains and creases because the picture of the one im posting came in the mail to me last week.

Biff,

Nice napkin, was not trying to get your knickers in a knot. I see stuff on ebay, you win a lot of it, then it goes into your vault... so I post the images here on TC for other people to see.

Why don't you try that sometime, you know, post your finds? I look at your past posts and see that you deleted everything from 2004 to 2007. What's Up??? Did someone make you mad?

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 4:16 pm   Permalink

Here are a few photos of the decor from my visit.

DC

Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 4:50 pm   Permalink

I gotta agree with Bifcozz on this one Dusty Cajun, I’m in favor of not posting things that you didn’t win. If he wants to post those things at a later date or not at all then that’s up to him. There are a lot of people who win great things and don’t post them; someone else posting their stuff could be one of the reasons? Which is too bad because the owner can provide close ups and backs of things find all kinds of details we may be missing. I have posted things that I have “Borrowed” from other sites, I don’t really like to and I prefer to stay away from auctions, I think more of us should do the same but sure download all the pictures you want but keep them for yourself. I'm also not a fan of the "Not my auction but look at this!" type of post What happened to the thrill of the hunt? but I'll save that rant for another time. These are only my opinions and although I’m sure they don’t mean very much I’m going to pretend they do.

Don’t forget that Bifcozz was kind enough to blow everyone’s mind twice this year with pictures of Ren Clark’s Home Bar and his Hawaii Kai collection. Also you can always ask questions in a PM. The reason I’m posting this here instead of a PM is because I can’t stand Trad’r Sam’s

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 6:26 pm   Permalink

Bora Boris,

While I respect your opinion and value your input, I don't agree with you on this one.

Ebay and the internet are public applications that anybody can use and see. If an amazing Tiki find is presented on ebay and I don't win it, then it is no crime to save the image and post it later. I have had times when items I purchased have been posted before I could do so, and I still participate in TC and post more information on the item.

My experience over that last few years is that there are several big time buyers of Tiki ephemera that troll Tiki Central to find information and seek knowledge without really participating - you know - giving back. They end up with 70% of the items that show up on auctions that are never to be seen again.

My 2 cents.

DC

Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 7:20 pm   Permalink

I can understand your point Dusty Cajun but there are a lot of people that have a real sour grapes attitude towards other people’s collections and I think that may also be a factor. I’m not saying that this is you in fact you have been nice enough to share your awesome postcard collection with us. I remember when you first started posting your Barefoot Trader items and how exciting that was, I couldn’t wait for more and I still can’t. However saying that people are “Trolling” for information probably isn’t helping maybe if you said ”Trawling” instead that would be better. Anyway I can’t change your mind and I do like your posts so post what you like, it’s not a Tiki Central rule that you can’t post items that you didn’t win….. yet.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 7:48 pm   Permalink

I personally think there's nothing wrong with posting pics of stuff from ebay, it IS a public forum. The fact that DC also credits the winner/owner is considerate....at least he's not making it sound like it's his when it isn't.

This site is all about sharing about our favorite subject....tiki....and these rare items are great to see. If I'm not mistaken, not everything in Sven's books are from HIS personal collection, right ?

If everyone kept to that stringent "post only what you own" philosophy, then there would be alot less eye candy on here.

I say, if you see something cool....post it.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 8:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-27 19:48, tikiyaki wrote:
The fact that DC also credits the winner/owner is considerate....at least he's not making it sound like it's his when it isn't."

• This isn't always the case.

"If I'm not mistaken, not everything in Sven's books are from HIS personal collection, right ?"

• Yes, that's true but the items are used with permission.

"If everyone kept to that stringent "post only what you own" philosophy, then there would be alot less eye candy on here."

• Or would there be more?

"I say, if you see something cool....post it.'

• I like seeing cool things too and I'd like to see more but I have an issue with the ownership. In the meantime hang on while I post some Tikiyaki Orchestra MP3s.

Any collectors want to comment on this? (Besides 1961surf ) I think it's a topic that should be discussed.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2009-11-27 20:05 ]

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 8:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-27 20:04, Bora Boris wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-11-27 19:48, tikiyaki wrote:
The fact that DC also credits the winner/owner is considerate....at least he's not making it sound like it's his when it isn't."

"If I'm not mistaken, not everything in Sven's books are from HIS personal collection, right ?"

• Yes, that's true but the items are used with permission.

"If everyone kept to that stringent "post only what you own" philosophy, then there would be alot less eye candy on here."

• Or would there be more?

"I say, if you see something cool....post it.'

• I like seeing cool things too and I'd like to see more but I have an issue with the ownership. In the meantime hang on while I post some Tikiyaki Orchestra MP3s.

Any collectors want to comment on this? (Besides 1961surf ) I think it's a topic that should be discussed.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2009-11-27 20:05 ]

Your definition of "ownership" with regards to Tikiyaki Orchestra mp3's is different.

That music is my creation. I own the copyright. In the case of a collectible, while the item is owned by the person who bought it, they are not the copyright owner. That like saying it's ok to post Led Zeppelin MP3's on a public forum because you own the CD.

Once again...it was posted on Ebay...it was for sale and is not a copyright infringement. Now, if he was SELLING the picture...that might be different. The person who took the picture would have a case.

Besides Boris...I know where you live (well, on Wednesday nites anyway)

<<"If everyone kept to that stringent "post only what you own" philosophy, then there would be alot less eye candy on here."

• Or would there be more?>>

Not if people horde their cool stuff away and don't show it to anyone. I don't see many of the big collectors on here posting pics of their cool stuff. Kudos to people like Tiki Kate and Psycho Tiki D who post alot of their great finds.

<<The fact that DC also credits the winner/owner is considerate....at least he's not making it sound like it's his when it isn't."

• This isn't always the case. >>

Well it was the case in this instance.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2009-11-27 20:22 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 8:34 pm   Permalink

This is becoming a big quotey mess -

"Your definition of "ownership" with regards to Tikiyaki Orchestra mp3's is different."

Right but you could see how some people might argue differently, you've probably experienced it.

• Or would there be more?

Not if people horde their cool stuff away and don't show it to anyone. I don't see many of the big collectors on here posting pics of their cool stuff."

I've seen it happen but it's not every day and it comes in bursts, when it happens it's cool, if it happened everyday it would be taken for granted. Honestly there used to me a lot more of this sort of thing but Tiki Central is not what it used to be.

"The fact that DC also credits the winner/owner is considerate....at least he's not making it sound like it's his when it isn't.

Well it was the case in this instance."

Yes but the post was edited to give credit.

So I know where you stand on this Tikiyaki and I know where DC stands, any other collectors want to chime in on this? I'm sounding like a nag and things are already gonna awkward the next time I run into Dusty Cajun and Tikiyaki.

[ This Message was edited by: bora Boris 2009-11-27 20:48 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation