FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki in Video Games
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tiki in Video Games
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-21 12:42 pm   Permalink

Cool thread!

Timelapse is an old PC game that came out on the crest of the Myst craze. It starts on Easter Island and takes you back to Mayan temples, Ancient Egypt and an Anasazi village in the search for Atlantis. GTE Entertainment issued it and did a lot of research to make it historically accurate. It's lush and gorgeous and you can usually find a copy on eBay or buy it from Hammerhead Entertainment:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/barracuda/asprog.html

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
texastiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-03 11:54 am   Permalink

in the Crash Bandicoot series for Playstation 1 &2, Crash is protected by a floating tiki mask named Aku Aku- though he's not really a true Hawaiian tiki, more of a generic wooden "witch doctor" thing...in one of the PS1 games- the 3rd one I think- you get to battle a pair of guys called the Tiki brothers. the whole series has a cool jungle-y/ tribal art kind of feel to it.

View Profile of texastiki Send a personal message to texastiki  Email texastiki Goto the website of texastiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
texastiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-05 08:34 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: texastiki on 2004-05-05 08:36 ]

View Profile of texastiki Send a personal message to texastiki  Email texastiki Goto the website of texastiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-05 10:59 am   Permalink

Remember Elf Bowl from a few years back?? On the Elf Bowl 2 game (Elf Shuffleboard)during a random part of the game a giant Moai head comes down and says "Hi there!" and then a giant hand comes out of the sky and takes him away.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 12:53 pm   Permalink

I broke out my Playstation 2 for the first time in a while today....my 4 year old girl wanted to play a driving game.....well, I dusted off the old "Test Drive Off Road Wide Open" game and set it up to drive in Hawaii because I remember there were some tikis in the landscape. Little did I know that they are Bosko Tikis torn right from the "Taboo: The Art of Tiki" book, page 69. Not just similar......exact copies! I wonder if he knows! I'll try to take a pic of the screen and upload it....funny where famialiar tikis will pop up!

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-06-12 13:55 ]

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 1:23 pm   Permalink

You should get a finders fee!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 2:12 pm   Permalink

Playststion kicks ass. I still want an x-box, but my old lady will kill me. I play enough video games as is.

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MEAN GENE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-11 5:01 pm   Permalink

I talked to Bosko today and he said he didn't know. He hasn't seen the game.

View Profile of MEAN GENE Send a personal message to MEAN GENE  Email MEAN GENE Goto the website of MEAN GENE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-12 10:08 am   Permalink

As promised, here is Bosko's handiwork that has been "appropriated"

now, one would have been coincidence but....

....2?!?
Some texture designer must have been told "we need tikis for our offroad game....find them!"
"No prob", thinks our heroic designer," I'll just steal a couple of Bosko's from this here tiki art book! No one will notice! Don't all tikis look the same?"

I'm afraid not, my little plagiarising friend! I'm curious to think what Bosko thinks of this.

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan on 2004-06-12 10:09 ]

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 3:37 pm   Permalink

the image/design of my cocktail/candle holder #CCH

http://tikimania.com/docs/cockhold.html
was used many times on a 'Space Ghost'
kid's CD long ago. I just saw it this year in a band mate's mini-van... next to the car seat. An illustrator must have photoed and painted my image... it is very exact, but looks painted...

Copywrite letter on the way....

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al on 2004-06-15 16:32 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 3:46 pm   Permalink

Hey, C'Al, you're right! (Not that I would have doubted you.) This is the CD you're talking about, yes?

I don't have this CD, but I have a mix CD that Mig made for me that contains a song from it, Brak's Hawaiian Vacation. Mig & I listened to that song at *least* two dozen times at Oasis. It's a short, stoopid song, but it makes me almost wet my pants every time I hear it. It sounds like a song my brother would have written when he was four, and I LUV IT!

Now I feel so conflicted! I love Crazy Al, but I also love Brak! Further complicating it, Brak ripped off Crazy Al's design, but then I ripped off Brak by accepting a copy of the song that Mig ripped off from the CD! Does that make it better, or worse? I suddenly feel so... dirty.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 3:56 pm   Permalink

thanks for the pic!!!!...Humu stikes again!! i do not have a copy of this cd yet and would love to also.

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 4:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-15 15:37, crazy al wrote:
the image/design of my cocktail/candle holder
was used many times on a 'Space Ghost' Copywrite letter on the way....

even if you send a copyright infringement letter heres how it works;
the one with the most money (and lawyers) wins. they have lawyers on retianer. do you? They assume you do not.
It costs 5000. just to go to court. they know this and assume the lil artist has not the wherewithall to go after the corporations who believe, again, that it's "easier to ask forgiveness than ask permission".

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 4:07 pm   Permalink

It's really amazing that so many "art directors" don't understand that copyright infringement applies to tiki as well as anything else....they just assume that all tikis are made by "anonymous carver"....amazing.....go get 'em C' Al!

lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 4:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I remember there were some tikis in the landscape. Little did I know that they are Bosko Tikis

The cool bosko tiki mask designs were also lifted right from his web site and used on a few of those cardboard tiki coasters we see on every tiki product vendor web site and on ebay.

A while ago, some dude made a "tiki beer" t shirt and used one of Bosko's distinctive tiki designs in the artwork.

just because it's easy to lift artwork off the internet and use for ones own purpose doesn't make it right.

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation