FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki in Video Games
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tiki in Video Games
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 4:19 pm   Permalink

as a holder of a copyright, it is your sol responsibility to stake claim to it. The less you defend an image the less you have claim to it. It is just a matter of principle or rater documentation. WB, or whoever, also does not want to spend $5000 on anything... so maybe later on I get credit on a reprint...
the better the letter the more someone listens

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al on 2004-06-15 16:20 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 4:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-15 15:37, crazy al wrote:
the image/design of my cocktail/candle holder #CCH

was used many times on a 'Space Ghost'
kid's CD long ago. I just saw it this year in a band mate's mini-van... next to the car seat. An illustrator must have photoed and painted my image... it is very exact, but looks painted...

Copywrite letter on the way....

Hey C Al, Was that glass used on "Darma & Greg"? I remember Greg drinking out of a tiki glass and you could see red liquid through the mouth. I always thought that was a cool design and not often seen. I wondered what that was for a long time.

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 4:30 pm   Permalink

yes... i never saw it, but was told it was used on that set by a very good sorce

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 4:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I remember there were some tikis in the landscape. Little did I know that they are Bosko Tikis

here's what an artist can do after all the frustration of having their attorneys shoot back a letter saying: "... your claim is without merit.
The tiki image has been around long enuff and if ya want, go ahead and sue..."

Use the appearance of the copyrighted tiki image in promo literature saying:
"as seen in Playstation games..."
" as seen in cartoon network's Space Ghost..."

and at the very least, after all is said and done, after the fight, (to whatever degree you have energy for), realize philosophically, it is spreading the tiki vibe and hopefully, bringing more "adherents into the fold", generating more demand for more tiki products...

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 4:39 pm   Permalink

It's convenient to think of corporations as being large soulless entities out to screw the little guy, but the reality is that decisions like this one (pulling together artwork for a cd cover) are handled by regular, normal human beings just like you & me, and thinking of them as soulless entities and giving up only furthers the lack of accountability. Like Al said, a letter probably isn't going to get him any money, but it does document that he defends his designs, and if nothing else, word will hopefully get back to that designer or the team that hired him for the project, and he'll hopefully think twice the next time he appropriates someone else's designs. Isn't that the ultimate goal anyhow?

Re: Dharma & Greg, one of the head writers for that show is a big tikiphile, I've had the pleasure of meeting him and he's a very nice fellow. Wouldn't surprise me to hear he would have snuck some quality tiki touches into the show. He's now a writer on Two & a Half Men (the Charlie Sheen/Jon Cryer sitcom), haven't seen that show, but perhaps we'll hear tiki reports from there as well?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 4:47 pm   Permalink

It's convenient to think of corporations as being large soulless entities out to screw the little guy,

(that's a simplistic naive perspective. They are "out to" appease their stockholders which is to say; develop the bottom line. and if they step on little toes, they have attorneys to dismiss the problem.)

but the reality is that decisions like this one (pulling together artwork for a cd cover) are handled by regular, normal human beings

(who want to retain their gainful employment...)

just like you & me, and thinking of them as soulless entities and giving up

(never give up. Take action. but intelligently, courageously and and creatively )

only furthers the lack of accountability. Like Al said, a letter probably isn't going to get him any money, but it does document that he defends his designs, and if nothing else, word will hopefully get back to that designer or the team that hired him for the project, and he'll hopefully think twice the next time he appropriates someone else's designs.

(hope springs eternal.)

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 6:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-15 16:47, lanikai wrote:
that's a simplistic naive perspective. They are "out to" appease their stockholders which is to say; develop the bottom line. and if they step on little toes, they have attorneys to dismiss the problem.

It's a fair assessment that I was oversimplifying for the sake of argument, but your assertion that corporations using attorneys to allow them to abuse the rights of very small entities is a bit oversimplified, too. Now isn't the time or place to whip out my dic...er, resume, but perhaps someday we can meet at La Mariana and I can bore you to tears with a description of my business experience over Mai Tais.

While I will certainly grant you that there is no shortage of cases where large entities have ridden roughshod over the rights of smaller entities, the truth still remains that these entities are made up of human beings, not robots, and it's not the boards of directors or the accountants or the legal department who are telling graphic designers it's okay to steal someone else's design rather than take a little extra time to come up with their own. Every individual person in a corporation should be held accountable to do the right thing, and perhaps you would be surprised to learn the extent to which that actually does happen in corporate America. It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens a lot.

If nothing else, remember that those attorneys are pretty goddamned expensive, and even the most corrupt, cynical, grotesque, inhumane corporation doesn't like to spend more than they have to on attorneys.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 6:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-15 18:06, Humuhumu wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-06-15 16:47, lanikai wrote:
that's a simplistic naive perspective. They are "out to" appease their stockholders which is to say; develop the bottom line. and if they step on little toes, they have attorneys to dismiss the problem.

It's a fair assessment that I was oversimplifying for the sake of argument, but your assertion that corporations using attorneys to allow them to abuse the rights of very small entities is a bit oversimplified, too.

never said that nor did I imply that. just stated fact according to experience.

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-22 10:37 am   Permalink

I was playing 'Simpsons Hit and Run' last night and Homer found a Tiki in his back yard:

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-22 10:41 am   Permalink

Doesn't it breathe fire?

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-22 11:13 am   Permalink

Why's that tiki wearing a Pope hat?

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-09-22 12:41 pm   Permalink

It does breathe fire! You have to do something to it- I don't remember what anymore- long time since I played it. Plus drunk at the time.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-22 3:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-22 12:41, martiki wrote:
It does breathe fire! You have to do something to it- I don't remember what anymore- long time since I played it. Plus drunk at the time.

Yeah, you just press the little green arrow button that's hovering over Homer's head and flames shoot out the Tiki's mouth! I'd had half a bottle of wine at the point that I reached the Tiki.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-23 01:41 am   Permalink

Mmmmmm tiki red wine............

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-28 11:32 pm   Permalink

Found this tiki theater in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas.
It's exactly like the picture of the Tiki Theater on page 23 in The Book of Tiki.

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation