FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Son of Headhunter
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
Son of Headhunter
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 06:46 am   Permalink

Nice work Raffertiki. You and the other guys have been Busy while I been gone. I can smell that fish from here. Nice touch.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 1:15 pm   Permalink

I really like it Raffertiki! Nice work!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 3:54 pm   Permalink

"Metalflake Green"............
Is that not one of the coolest colors on God's green earth?
Nothing like metalflake and Tikis to get this hot rodders blood a stirrin'.
Very Cool.........

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 4:34 pm   Permalink

that's a cool looking finish. i might have to try using a little bit of paint and stain like you did. it gives it a nice look, but not too crazy.

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-13 6:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks Chongolio, Aaron's A, Tiki Wahine (Oh, and congrats!), and 5-0. While carving it, I wondered if anyone had carved a fish like this on a tiki before. You would think so, but I haven't seen one yet.

Mr. Dale, matal flake anything is cool in my book, though I am partial to green. Lets Go Jets.

Ben, we've been all trying to catch up to you, carving wise, but you've set a high bar. Welcome back.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 12:33 pm   Permalink

I had to did deep to find this post. It was August since I last carved a largeish tiki, due to technical difficulties. It felt really good to get back at it. Here is the result of 4 hrs. with a chainsaw, grinder, and chisel. This one's for a charity auction.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 12:57 pm   Permalink

very nice , glad to see you found some wood to carve , i remember you saying your having a hard time.
cant wait to see it done.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 2:00 pm   Permalink

I finally hit up a guy who does carvings of bears, dragons, etc. on a main road by me. He said he'd give me a log 2 weeks ago, but everything was snowed under and sloppy, so I should stop back when the snow melted. I went yesterday, and he brought me back to a pile of logs that would stop your heart. He has everything from logs that are 7' in diameter to what I took. It was freaking awesome.

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 8:45 pm   Permalink

Looks like another fine piece on the way, Raffertiki. I gather you also carving this one standing up? Take it easy & keep us posted as you go.

Aloha,

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-14 04:58 am   Permalink

Thanks Aaron's,

So far I've worked on this one as it was leaned down on those railroad ties. This is a heavey piece of oak, but not heavy enough to stand upright while being worked on. I love working on oak.

btw This design is derived from many influences, but I have to give Benzart credit in that I borrowed his "tongue between the teeth" idea. I hope you don't mid Ben.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-14 05:51 am   Permalink

I don't mind at all especially since I probalbly "Borrowed" it from someone else and it is good to seethe tradition sustained. You can Borrow Any of my work that interests you. We Gotta see pix tho.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 2:43 pm   Permalink

Fair enough, Ben.

I was given the advice from the carver who gave me this log that it is better to leave the carving in progress outside, even if it's raining, rather than bring it inside.

Anyone have any thoughts, pro or con, on this?

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 8:35 pm   Permalink

Always bring it in and work there and leave it there. When you start a carving you are opening the wood to the elements. If it has started to cure, the elements will undo a lot of what has been done as far as drying.Now IF you are talking about moist freezing cold weather and you bring it in and start opening it up without letting it stabalize, then it will split wide open, so from outside to inside and vice versa you need to let it stabalize for 24 hours or so.If you have an outdoor shop work outdoors no problem. Just remember when you open up a log, all those pores will begin to leak or lose fluid at a faster pace, so just think it thru depending on the conditions

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 09:15 am   Permalink

This one's finished and ready to go to the charity auction.

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 09:18 am   Permalink

that has to be some of the most beautiful bark i've ever seen sweeet!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation