FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki Port, Hyannis, MA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tiki Port, Hyannis, MA (restaurant)
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 02:37 am   Permalink

Name:Tiki Port, Hyannis, Massachusetts
Type:restaurant
Street:
City:Hyannis
State:MA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The Tiki Port restaurant is on the main road through Hyannis, Massahusetts on Cape Cod. It is a Chinese restaurant and lounge that must have started life as a full-blown tiki restaurant. Most of the tell-tale signs are still there... a few tikis, a lava rock entry way, some bamboo lights, and a tropical mural behind the bar. Unfortunately, the hostess seemed completely clueless about tiki, the bar didn't appear to serve tropical cocktails and the patrons were not happy that I took their picture at the bar. It was about 3 pm, so maybe they thought I was a PI for their wife or employer. Here's the pics:

KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-03-15 08:14 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 3:23 pm   Permalink

Cool pics.

Your report seems to contradict Tiki Road Trip which reports "No Tiki. Tropical drinks."

Did you stay to try the food?

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-14 3:59 pm   Permalink

I asked if they had a drink menu and they said they did not. I wish I could have stayed for some chow but didn't have much time, so I just took the pics and left.
As for Tiki Road Trip, it's a great book but James admits alot of the information is based on internet posts to his Tiki Bar Review Pages that he has not personally confirmed. Hopefully, someone will go back there and see if the food is any good and whether they serve a decent Singapore Sling.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-19 2:56 pm   Permalink

Not to bag on these finds (all Tiki discoveries are inherently good!), but just to put it in perspective:

This and the "Hawaii Fountain" restaurant look like they were furbished straight out of the 80s "Orchids of Hawaii" catalog, which had a big section on Chinese Restaurant wall panelling and decor
The few Tikis in it were were exactly these odd looking fiberglass casts and painted in those god-awfull colors, and the lamps were kind of bulky, all in all representing 1980s "Tiki Devolution" to me.

There was no love left in what Orchids had to offer by then.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-03-19 15:03 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-22 08:09 am   Permalink

Bigbro:
You're right about the blur between tiki and Chinese up there, but the tikis at Tiki Port are wooden not fiberglass. They did look like they were recently painted though. According to Wayne at the Hawaiian Inn, Massachusetts was full of Chinese/Polynesian places in the 60's and 70's and most of them featured entertainment. That's why he and Teauila located their show there in the 70's.
When I was in Mass. last Fall, I actually found a Chinese place called Orchid Hawaii. The building was new and was ugly, even by non-tiki standards.

[ This Message was edited by: kailuageoff on 2004-03-24 12:44 ]

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 3:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-22 08:09, Kailuageoff wrote:
According to Wayne at the Hawaiian Inn, Massachusetts was full of Chinese/Polynesian places in the 60's and 70's and most of them featured entertainment.

Massachussetts & it's neighboring states needs a close perusal for Tiki. I have a hunch that it's one of the great unexplored areas of Tiki where restaurants and bars came and went without anyone taking much interest. Perhaps someone could do a little research - look through some old phone books, speak to some old-timers in current restaurants etc and try to come up with a focused idea of the Tiki scene in New England. Kailuageoff is on the right tracks here.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
new2tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-28 10:45 am   Permalink

I have a little information about a few places in MA, as I spent my first 22 years there....

I've eaten at the Tiki Port (7/02). Decent, if unremarkable, Chinese food. I'm pretty sure I ordered a Polynesian drink--Mai Tai or Singapore Sling or something. I was pretty much ignorant of what made a good drink at the time, but I remember it was potent. I echo the sentiment about the waitstaff.

I'll post more about a few others (The Aloha in Hingham, MA, Lake Palace in Pembroke, MA, and Golden Palace in Hanover, MA) ASAP...work beckons.

Scott

View Profile of new2tiki Send a personal message to new2tiki  Email new2tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-28 1:21 pm   Permalink

New2tiki,
Please do tell us more about Mass. tiki when you have time.
KG

Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-01 2:01 pm   Permalink

I was at Tiki Port just last year and they had a cocktail menu with maybe a dozen tropical drinks. I had a headhunter served in an Orchids tiki mug, and a Mai Tai. Neither were great but both were very strong. There was also another place close by I stopped at. Tiki Isle or something, in Sandwich I think?

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DrFunk75
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-10 6:48 pm   Permalink

Kailuageoff,
I live in Massachusetts, so I know pretty much everything there is to know about tiki up here! The Tiki Port in Hyannis and Tiki Island in Medford, MA are owned and operated by the same family. I have been to Tiki Island a few times and they also have tropical murals and painted wooden tikis. They did list the drinks on their menu and the food was mostly Cantonese/Polynesian and some Szechuan. The strange thing about this place is that there is no cocktail lounge! The furniture is typical of the 70's Chinese restaurants; bright green vinyl. I asked the waitstaff how long the restaurant has been in business, and they said that they have been in operation since 1980 or 81! I'm not certain that they are entirely accurate. I have a friend who owned The Ming Jade restaurant in Newburyport, and I am going to ask him how long they have been open. I'm sure that he will know.

View Profile of DrFunk75 Send a personal message to DrFunk75      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-15 2:21 pm   Permalink

There's a place in Sandwich, Mass. called Tiki Hawaii and it's a chinese restaurant. Is it worth going there? Any tikis?

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_swizzle_stick

Posted: 2004-07-29 12:51 pm   Permalink

Hello Tiki People,

I think that the status of Tiki in MA is dismal at best. I live here near the boston area and although I do not claim to be an expert, there just doesn't seem to be the influence in this part of the country that there was in CA and FL. It gets cold up here and you would think that we would want some winter get aways that reminded us of the tropics!! Tell me if I'm wrong. Closest thing to real tiki is the Kowloon (check out my post). I will try and add some pics. There main dining hall is called the Tiki Lagoon!!.

Quote:

On 2004-07-15 14:21, TikiGoddess wrote:
There's a place in Sandwich, Mass. called Tiki Hawaii and it's a chinese restaurant. Is it worth going there? Any tikis?

View Profile of tiki_swizzle_stick Send a personal message to tiki_swizzle_stick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DrFunk75
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-05 3:07 pm   Permalink

Tiki Swizzle Stick, I live in Newburyport so I can relate to the fact that there are not as many tiki bars and restaurants in this area today. Of course that was not the case thirty years ago. There is one restaurant right off or route 1 south before the 129 rotary on Moulton Drive; the Bali Hai. This place has been around for 40+ years and they have some cool original Polynesian decour. They don't really have any tikis, but the restaurant theme is very Polynesian with the puffer fish and tiki lamps, the huke lau pictures on the walls, and decorated drums hanging from the ceiling in the lobby. The drinks are super good and super strong, and the most you will pay for a specialty drink is $4.00! The menus are actually really cool as well; dating back to 1973. You should definately check this place out!

View Profile of DrFunk75 Send a personal message to DrFunk75      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-04 3:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-14 15:59, Kailuageoff wrote:
As for Tiki Road Trip, it's a great book but James admits alot of the information is based on internet posts to his Tiki Bar Review Pages that he has not personally confirmed.

Just a clarification here (I just saw this post for the first time) - I telephoned every single place in TRT that I wasn't able to personally visit. So to some degree, all of my research is 'personally confirmed' - even if I didn't personally confirm 'in person'!

In the case of Tiki Port, the woman I spoke to on the phone insisted that they had no tropical drinks or Tikis on the premesis, but I am pleased that you have disovered that she was clearly quite mistaken.

Thanks for doing the legowork, KG!

Oh, and he reason I discovered this post was while looking for references to the Aloha in Hingham, Mass...

I regret to report that it has closed.
See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rippa

Posted: 2006-04-06 2:54 pm   Permalink

Tiki Port in Hyannis has had tropical drinks on their menu. I haven't been there since 2004 but drank a few at that time; good! They had a mountain and wishing pond at the entrance grotto, and a tiki as well...

Here is a link to a Hawaiian woman (my ma) drinking the Scorpion Bowl at Tiki Port, while my Dad enjoys perhaps a Fogcutter...

http://reorient.com/photos/tikiport7-00.jpg

Anyhow, I'll be there next week and will report. Still just now in Sweden...

[ This Message was edited by: rippa 2006-04-24 20:06 ]

View Profile of rippa Send a personal message to rippa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation