FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Critiki's latest new features: Themed Image Galleries, username photo credits
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Critiki's latest new features: Themed Image Galleries, username photo credits
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 08:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-10 07:55, Dustycajun wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-04-09 08:19, Humuhumu wrote:

Now for today's new Image Gallery (and this is a REALLY GOOD ONE):

Postcards

These Technicolor missives to home are the best source we have for learning what the insides and outsides of long-gone tiki hotspots looked like.

Humuhumu

Thanks for putting the image galleries together, this one is my favorite of course.

DC

FAB indeed!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 08:38 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the kind words, guys, it really does mean a lot to me. And HUGE thanks for adding so many images from your collections... it's what has made these image galleries possible.

Today's new image gallery:

Tapa

Traditional cloth made by pounding bark into thin sheets, which are then painted with repeating patterns using brown dye.

When I was creating these image galleries, first I had to create a way to tag all the images, then I had to tag all of them, and only *then* could I build the ability to look at them... so there was a lot of time and effort invested before I could get a sense if the visual payoff would be worth it. The first image gallery I looked at was this one, Tapa... and I think I let out an audible gasp. It worked!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-11 08:39 am   Permalink

Waterfalls

Water features, especially waterfalls, have been a big part of Polynesian Pop decorating and landscaping.

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 09:32 am   Permalink

Murals

Large painted scenes of life in the tropics—with sandy beaches, palm trees, dancing and fishing—enhance the island illusion.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-12 2:17 pm   Permalink

Great additions! The waterfall one supports my experience that good vintage shots of Polynesian restaurant water features are hard to come by.
And the murals: The quality and the sheer amount of the ones at the South Pacific in Newton is just mindboggling. That artist knew his subject!
And I totally forgot about that great painting in the Tiki Lounge at the Modesto Tropics. Do I remember that correctly as an vintage original? It looks so Tiki revivalist!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 08:12 am   Permalink

Yeah, fountains in particular are really hard to capture in a photograph. The whole point of their existence is to add a little life & movement, and that's typically lost once they're captured in a static photograph.

Aren't the murals at South Pacific lovely? TIKIPAKA added a bunch of pictures yesterday from
Luau Hale in Lenox, Mass. I hadn't seen the Luau Hale murals before, and they are gorgeous. Many are moonlit nighttime scenes, and there's a great trompe l'oeil tiki mask... they're just unusually beautiful. (Mahalo, TIKIPAKA!)

And now today's new image gallery:

Renderings

Idealized versions of an already idealized version of the South Pacific: these artists' conceptions of restaurants, hotels and attractions exemplify Polynesian Pop.

This image gallery is my absolute favorite of them all.

Also, I've made a small improvement to the image galleries on Critiki: you can now use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move through the images. It's a bit faster and more comfortable than using your mouse.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 10:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-13 08:12, Humuhumu wrote:

And now today's new image gallery:

Renderings

This image gallery is my absolute favorite of them all.

Humuhumu,

One of my favorites too! Will send some more in for the gallery.

Thanks again for all of your efforts.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-14 07:59 am   Permalink

DC, if you add more renderings to Critiki, you will make my week. Honestly, I can't get enough of them.

Serveware

Beyond the mug: tiki logos and iconography also appear on salt & pepper shakers, plates, drink bowls, glassware and more.

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-15 07:43 am   Permalink

Dustycajun, Tiki-Kate, Bora Boris, and others... mahalo nui loa for all the images you added yesterday! There were many jaw droppers in the images I saw yesterday, amazing stuff.

Outriggers

Canoes with stabilizing outriggers allowed Polynesians to explore the massive Pacific, and are a common motif in Polynesian Pop.

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-15 10:06 am   Permalink

Good Stuff!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 07:29 am   Permalink

Thanks, Ben!

Swizzles

Little plastic picks and sticks to help you eat and drink, and remind you to come back again and again and again...

TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-16 12:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks to all for the images shared.

Love it! Love it! Love it!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 07:53 am   Permalink

Witco

Tikis, wall hangings, lamps and more from Witco—the Mount Vernon, WA company of William Westenhaver.

uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 08:29 am   Permalink

Just keeps getting better and better and better and............. Critiki is a valuble site to both the collector and urban archaeologist. TC and Critiki. A great compliment to one another. Keep up the great work.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 11:46 am   Permalink

Boy, you guys have been keeping me busy, I'm so thrilled! Nearly 500 images have been added to Critiki since I first started announcing these new image galleries a couple of weeks ago. Critiki now has over 3,100 images. THANK YOU!

And now comes the final new image gallery:

Moai

The curious "big stone heads" from Rapa Nui (Easter Island) have appeal both for their pleasing graphic simplicity, and their mysterious origins.

That makes 21 different Image Galleries on Critiki. This is the last of them for now, but I do have plans for more, including more galleries of tikis (grouped by Oceanic art style, and by tiki carver).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation