FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Kon Tiki, Tucson, AZ (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Kon Tiki, Tucson, AZ (bar)
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 10:51 pm   Permalink

KON TIKI !!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-tina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-21 4:40 pm   Permalink

If you have not had the opportunity to visit the lovely Kon Tiki, run...don't walk and visit this tiki treasure!

I have been remiss in posting this, but my hubby and I made a quick trip there while visiting family in early November and we had a blast! Louie, the manager, has the tiki vision and is full of aloha!

Mahalo Nui Loa, Lou, for a wonderful time! The staff is wonderful, the drinks are swell...(you gotta try the Lunchbox, it's out of this world!)and the tiki vibe is authentic... just toss on some Martin Denny and you can almost feel the ocean breezes!

We hear from Lou there are big plans on the horizon for this little gem, so listen for the call of the Moai and be sure to stop in and say Aloha to Lou and his team!

P.S. Lou was so gracious during our visit, we now have a whole host of Kon Tiki loot, including the cutest little mugs you ever did see ...will post pics of all the goodies once I figure out how to download our pics from the new digital coconut, until then, I'll be enjoying my mai tai ( hey, maybe THAT'S why I am having trouble downloading these pics...to many mai tais!)

[ This Message was edited by: tiki-tina 2006-01-21 16:41 ]

View Profile of tiki-tina Send a personal message to tiki-tina      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-09 2:56 pm   Permalink

I second that emotion!

I've been going to Kon Tiki ever since I was a tot. My parents used to take us there for dinner occasionally. I can remember just being mesmerized by the exotic vibe of the place... pretty far from what I was used to as a boy growing up in Arizona! In fact, I think those early experiences are what made me such a tiki-phile now.

I try to make it in there every week or two for an other-worldly libation.

I hear Louie is ramping up for a big blowout party this April... sweet!

View Profile of TikiMike Send a personal message to TikiMike  Email TikiMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-09 3:18 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have the full scoop on the bootstrapping this place has apparently undergone?

When I visited in 1999, it was a total dump, but had a lot of potential.

People have started raving about it so much in the past few years.

I can definitely believe that if new ownership or managemnt had come in and cleaned some house, that Kon Tiki could have risen from the depths to become a truly amazing Tiki bar.

And this appears to be the case.

What it the story?

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lovevw181
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-09 4:08 pm   Permalink

I am glad to see that the Kon Tiki has been able to survive all these years!!!! Finally someone gets it!!!! Hooray Kon Tiki!!!!

View Profile of lovevw181 Send a personal message to lovevw181  Email lovevw181     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 6:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-09 15:18, tikibars wrote:
Does anyone have the full scoop on the bootstrapping this place has apparently undergone?

When I visited in 1999, it was a total dump, but had a lot of potential.

People have started raving about it so much in the past few years.

I can definitely believe that if new ownership or managemnt had come in and cleaned some house, that Kon Tiki could have risen from the depths to become a truly amazing Tiki bar.

And this appears to be the case.

What it the story?

Aloha,

the KON TIKI is a true classic, 1960's ELI Hedley tiki bar. I've been doing a few things out here (hiding to some, sorry) and this place is awesome!!!!.
!
By next week, you locals will have a new bar to sit at and a few other details within.

Get ready for the "Kon Tiki re-dedication party on April, 22, 06."

(i'm on a lap top and it took me a freakin hour to type this. i'll re-edit when i get bACk home.)

Viva la KON TIKI !!!!!

p.s. and hi to Mrs. Boo and the lil' boos.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 6:26 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-02-18 09:45 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-23 8:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-17 18:26, Kailuageoff wrote:

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-02-18 09:45 ]

Geoff,

what did you say??

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

SoccerTiki

Posted: 2006-02-23 10:09 pm   Permalink

KON TIKI HERE WE COME!!!! Ok, WooHooWahine and I have done some "research" for those interested in going to the Grand Re-Opening on April 22nd.....
The Smuggler's Inn is very close by and looks to be the best value for your money!
The rates are $59 per night or $70 for a suite!!! We arrrrrrrr going out there on Tuesday (4/18) thru Sunday (4/23). Check out the place!!! Cool Pool, bar, etc. Go to:
http://www.packyoursuitcase.joystar.com (or PM woohoowahine) and look at the place for yourselves! I think it'll be a great place to hang out for a few days and get working on the tan (before Tiki Oasis!) You can also get a round trip airfare for between $149 and $185 (from LAX or LGB.) Anyway, I am just trying to make it easy and affordable for those who want to be there for the event!!! (At http://www.packyoursuitcase.joystar.com you can make both your room and air reservations!)
SoccerTiki

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-02-24 5:12 pm   Permalink

Update: I just spoke with the manager of The Smugglers Inn. There are plenty of rooms available for the weekend of April 21-23. Also included with the room rate is a Full Cooked Breakfast Daily and a Cocktail Reception Every Night. If you are interested in staying at The Smugglers Inn please PM me for more information. ~ WooHooWahine

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 08:13 am   Permalink

Here is another pic from the Bamboo Ben Phase 1 Spruce Up Tour at the Kon Tiki Tucson.

Old Hostess Stand...

New Hostess Stand...

With Hostesses, before the roof was on.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 09:21 am   Permalink

Your handiwork will be apparent upon entering. Excellent work!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-01 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2006-02-28 12:39, WooHooWahine wrote:
I have a Block of Rooms Reserved at The Smugglers Inn for the weekend of April 21-23 for all TC'ers who will be going out to Tuscon to attend The Kon Tiki Party . If you are interested PM me for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just confirmed with the Smuuglers Inn that we (as the "tiki group") will get the AAA rate (their lowest) of $59 for a standard room and $79 for a suite!!! ALSO we will be given breakfast AND drink vouchers for each day of stay!!!
***I think that brings the suite price to a sweet price of around $40-50 after breakfast and drinks!!!

We have 5 rooms blocked right now and two spoken for. PM me if you want to get in on this deal.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 1:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-26 08:13, RevBambooBen wrote:
Here is another pic from the Bamboo Ben Phase 1 Spruce Up Tour at the Kon Tiki Tucson.

Old Hostess Stand...

New Hostess Stand...

With Hostesses, before the roof was on.

Well, I'm glad you installed Hostesses! There's nothing worse than when the contractors forget to install the Hostesses and no one notices 'til two weeks after the opening...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-01 7:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-24 17:12, WooHooWahine wrote:
Update: I just spoke with the manager of The Smugglers Inn. There are plenty of rooms available for the weekend of April 21-23. Also included with the room rate is a Full Cooked Breakfast Daily and a Cocktail Reception Every Night. If you are interested in staying at The Smugglers Inn please PM me for more information. ~ WooHooWahine

Well, Ben may be re-bambooing the Kon Tiki, but when I was 19, I spent most of an entire summer painting every balcony and stair-rail at the Smugglers Inn. I would start my day by picking up my painting supplies and a room key and then strecth out for a little nap in the AC. Do college girl hookers still hang out in the lounge and by the pool?

Ben,
I said I was pissed I missed you when I was in HB (in a drunken sort of way). Glad you are straightening up the old pueblo though.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff 2006-03-01 19:15 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation