FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki DVD of Tiki // Out now!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
DVD of Tiki // Out now!
Mogambo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-26 1:29 pm   Permalink

Yeah, on monday we are on our way to see you guys. We are just taking the long route, via Polynesia. But in 2 and a half month we will shout: "MAITAIS!!!!". Looking forward to see you again and I am happy to show my wife what wonderful people I met. Til Later.

[ This Message was edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:21 ]

View Profile of Mogambo Send a personal message to Mogambo  Email Mogambo Goto the website of Mogambo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Baron
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-29 7:11 pm   Permalink

If you like I can cry on cue at the original site of Don the Beachcomber's in Hollywood. Seriously I live in Los Angeles, if you need "extra" help send me a PM.

TB.

View Profile of Tiki Baron Send a personal message to Tiki Baron      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pacific Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-29 8:18 pm   Permalink

When in Moorea go to Pineapple Beach on the Southside of the island. You will find a giant statue of a person - A Tiki God. Also on Moorea the Tiki Village is kind of cool but dont eat the food it really bad. If your going in the next few weeks at the Pearl Resort they have a couple of local guys carving some Tiki's around the pool. Go and have a few Hinano's with them. If you need anything in Tahiti let me know. The hotels suggested above are great one for the old style Tahiti.

View Profile of Pacific Andy Send a personal message to Pacific Andy  Email Pacific Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 08:49 am   Permalink

Wow, what a great project!
If you are going to shoot the Hukilau in Sept., try to plan on visiting the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona Beach beforehand(www.hawaiianinn.com), where you can interview veteran Polynesian perfomers Wayne and Teauila Trevassos, as well as shoot some footage of the fabulous Hawaiian Inn hotel, its Witco collection and "Teauila's Hawaii" (www.teauilashawaii.com).
Wayne and his wife left Hawaii and Samoa, reespectively, in their teens to perform in northeastern tiki temples during the 60's and 70's. Later, they began managing the luau show at the Hawaiian Inn and continue to operate a tourist luau there featuring themselves and their daughters as performers. They are both amazing resources of information on the heyday of tiki, and have a somewhat different persepctive as long-time Polynesian show managers and performers.
As a bonus, my wife and I will probably be putting the finishing tiki touches on the condo we just bought there, so you could stop in for a drink.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-30 1:21 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-12 12:50 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mogambo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 05:22 am   Permalink

Thanks for the great help. Right now we are in Singapore. We checked the New Otani Hotel. The old Trader Vic's is definetly gone. For 2 years as they told us. Tonight we continue our travels to Syndney. We will travel Australia for the next 3 weeks. Yes ww will be at the Hukilau and look forward to plan in Daytona. And we are fired up to meet you guys in Hawaii. Danny alreadz told me about fellow carver Gecko. til later.

[ This Message was edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:22 ]

View Profile of Mogambo Send a personal message to Mogambo  Email Mogambo Goto the website of Mogambo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mogambo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-24 11:21 pm   Permalink

Hey Folks, we are getting closer to the tiki homelands. After 3 weeks in Australia, we arrived in Auckland, New Zealand, where our tiki documentary will start to heat up. Toady we had a first stroll thru the Pacifics section at the Auckland Museum. Wonderful Maori and Polynesian art. Are there any tikiphiles in New Zealand that can hear me right now? Lets meet for a Maitai. We will start filming at the Te Papa Museum and at the Maori Carving School near Lake Taupo. What I have seen about Maori Carving was alreadz amazing. Our next stops will be Fiji, Rarotonga and Tahiti.

www.armchair-travelling.com

[ This Message was edited by: Mogambo on 2004-11-26 04:34 ]

Mogambo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-14 9:11 pm   Permalink

Aloha from Honolulu. Here is an update on the Production of "Armchair-Travelling in the World of Tiki":

The Journey has been already fun, exciting and very informative. We visited New Zealand, Fiji, Cook Islands and Tahiti/Moorea sofar and are now having a great time in Honolulu. Thanks to Gecko for taking us under his wing. We had many Maitais with him, his lovely wahine and the Kailuageoffs (who were her by chance) at the La Mariana and the Royal Hawaiian. Tomorrow we are looking forward to an exciting interview with Kit and Lloyd (Don Tiki). We filmed lots of Material on Carving, Dancing and Art on all the Islands. In Moorea we filmed Leetegs house and had the honor to interview Muck (one of the legendary Bali Hai Boys) and heard great stories on Moorea in the sixties. In Tahiti we bribed our path to the ruins of the old Taharaa Hotel and shot footage of the huge Tiki at the entrance by Oceanic Arts. The shooting schedule for California is in preparation and will be quite challanging. It already looks like this DVD will be an exciting string of rare pearls. We are now starting the call for your support of the "Tiki Telegramm". See special post on this topic.

Tiki Telegramm

Thanks for your interest, we will keep you posted.

www.armchair-travelling.com/tiki.html

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 10:27 am   Permalink

Sounds like it is getting excitedly close to the wrap-up. The project looks so good I can't wait still. Hurry up. but don't forget anything.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-22 2:38 pm   Permalink

Aloha Joe,
We had a great time meeting up with you guys as well as Gecko in Hawaii. Closing the La Mariana and the Mai Tai bar at the Royal Hawaiian was too cool, even though I can scarcely remember either evening.. Hope the DVD project works out in a way that captures the full diversity of tiki approaches and opinions (especially opinions fueled by multiple Polynesian cocktails). See you at da Hukilau.
Best Regards,
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-22 7:27 pm   Permalink

Mogambo:

Good meeting you out with King Kukulele and TikiDiablo last night at the Purple Orchid.

Glad to see you are a tireless worker hitting every Tiki bar!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-23 01:42 am   Permalink

Don't know if you've already got to Rarotonga but there's a Tiki carver you should go see. You cant miss him, just take the old inland road anti clockwise from Avarua.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mogambo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-23 11:41 am   Permalink

You probably mean Michael Tavioni, he is great but he left the day before we arrived to Hawaii. He went there to carve a big canoe for the festival.. The funny thing is that he left Hawaii the day we arrived there. The great thing is that we had a wonderful time with his brother Henry who is an exallant carver too. Rarotonga was one of our nicest stops.

www.armchair-travelling.com

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-23 11:53 am   Permalink

Hey Jochen and Tanya...
We had a great time meeting you in Tahiti with the Ex-President. I made about 3 hours tapes in the Marquesas, but maybe just a couple of minutes interesting for you. How could I give you the tapes and have it back afterwards??
I can't edit it myself.
See you,

"Secret Agent Virani"

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-28 11:09 am   Permalink

Jo and Tanya have traveled to the far corners of the earth, New Zealand, Fiji, Cook Islands, Tahiti, Moorea, Hawaii, Edgar Leeteg's House and the Lagoon Room.

Our intrepid Vidieographer

Jo and Tanya (Mogombo)
I can't wait to see this!!!!
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation