FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Dollar Tree Tiks!!!!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Dollar Tree Tiks!!!!!!
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 11:37 am   Permalink

ahem..
holy cr*p!

You've got minions!
nice work

I like 'em.

stupid canadian dollar stores.

however, I was in a local one the other night. They must of had 75 different styles of cheap leis, all $1.50 each($1 US) Maybe I should get them for my tiki wedding this summer? Hand them out to all the guests as they arrive?

Anyhow, cool cheap tikis.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 11:45 am   Permalink

I found shelves of them here in a Milwaukee, WI store... I got 4 of them to start and the guy must have forgot to charge me for one... they are cooler and larger then I thought... definately worth a dollar...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 2:05 pm   Permalink

Sadly, I live by a generic tiki free Dollar Store, but if anyone wants to trade a tiki for a hula girl I'm all ears.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 3:06 pm   Permalink

I scored all 8 today. Had to go to 2 different stores. Some of them are really cool designs, others are just okay. (that can be said for coco joes or HIP too).

Glad I picked them up. They had some cool cheap dishes, towels, placemats, etc. I bought two nice bamboo baskets that will be good for flower pots.

Kinda nice when a fade is no loner popular and it hits the bargin stores. Dollar tree, marshalls, whats next?

Erich

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 3:58 pm   Permalink

That's hilarious - I love the ones which appear to be Tiki pals, giving each other a pat on the back. So, these 'Dollar Tree' places sell them at a buck each? Bargain.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rustbeltcat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 5:09 pm   Permalink

Wow, I never expected such a deluge of letters on this topic... Then again I never expected to find little tikis for a dollar.
Well hope everyone enjoys em, I think I'm gona take a trek over there this weekend to pick up a bunch more this way our freinds to the north can get em, as well as those in dollar tree free areas.

View Profile of rustbeltcat Send a personal message to rustbeltcat  Email rustbeltcat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 5:47 pm   Permalink

I went yesterday & didn't see them, so I asked & she had them still in the box on her cart ready to put out! So I got a fresh, unopened case to choose from - great score - great bargain!

Gotta head back over there to the store 1 mile from my house to see if they got the bamboo placemats out, yet - thouse sound pretty good...

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 6:39 pm   Permalink

Where do you think these came from? For what purpose were they originally made? I can't imagine these fairly intricate molds were created just to churn out one dollar tikis for the Dollar Tree. The sticker says "Tradewind Bay" and "DOLLAR TREE DIST." Maybe they were made for someplace like Target or Hilo Hatties or the ABC stores and the deal fell through so they wind up at the Dollar Tree?

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 6:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I never expected such a deluge of letters on this topic

THANK YOU for starting this thread! I would never have thought to look in Dollar Tree for anything tiki.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 6:50 pm   Permalink

They are way too cool to be going for a buck, though I'm not complaining. I would like to know who the artist is... I'm thinking they have to be from an island somewhere by the syle of carving. Thank you again for mentioning this... who would have thought... Dollar Tree... making tiki collecting affordable and thus upping my "TIPSY" factor!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 6:56 pm   Permalink

I just picked up my Dollar Tree Tikis! Great collection of other tropical goods were part of the display. Dishes, bath accessories, hand towels, etc. They even had silk bamboo stalks with leaves for creating your own perpetual tropical arrangements.

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-23 7:10 pm   Permalink

Question. One of my Dollar Tiki figures appears to have a tiny name etched onto the front of the base - it says either Brad or Fread. This is the solitary figure, with a round head and what looks to be a music stand as a headpiece. Does anybody else's figure have this name on their figure, or was this an act of in-store vandalism.

I'm a bit amazed at this sudden appearance of these tiki figures all across America. The Dollar Tree chain has over 2000 stores, and I'm wondering if every one of them last week received a shipment of tiki figures to place on their shelves. Who ever handles their logistics and shipping must be doing a good job.

Did Dollar Tree commision and make these figures for themselves? Why aren't they making appearances in other stores?

Was there a manufacturing overun from somewhere else in the world?

Who carved the original designs? Was it some guy named Brad or Fred?

If these figurines sell well, will there be new designs and new shipments coming?

If they sell really, really well, will Dollar Tree change their name to Dollar Tiki?

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 8:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-03-23 19:10, ikitnrev wrote: The Dollar Tree chain has over 2000 stores, and I'm wondering if every one of them last week received a shipment of tiki figures to place on their shelves.

NO!!! NOT MY DOLLAR TREE!!!! (I checked today, in a clever attempt to avoid going straight home in order to figure all my grades, due tomorrow. oops, like now.)

But I hold onto the hope that at my local store too, there is a still-unopened box, waiting......waiting......

And I want those bamboo placemats and stuff, too!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 12:10 am   Permalink

Quote:
Question. One of my Dollar Tiki figures appears to have a tiny name etched onto the front of the base - it says either Brad or Fread. This is the solitary figure, with a round head and what looks to be a music stand as a headpiece. Does anybody else's figure have this name on their figure, or was this an act of in-store vandalism.

Mine has no such marking, but it does have many tiny vertical lines which, with a couple scratches added, *could* look like it says something.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 12:53 am   Permalink

First, I too want to thank you Rustbeltcat. I didn't even know we had those stores here.
You know with all of the different "dollar" type stores out there, I don't know one from the other. In fact, every time I have gone in one of those places to get something which will save me a longer trip to a hardware or grocery store, I wind up not finding what I wanted and having to go to the other store anyway. However, today I went to a Dollar Tree to check on these tikis and behold, there they were. Along with all of the other goodies everyone has mentioned. I grabbed a shopping cart and proceded to block the display with it because man, there were a lot of people showing interest and the guy setting up the display had just finished it. I was the first to get any of them and the empty boxes were still sitting there on the floor. Timing is everything! I got one of each of the 8 designs. As soon as I moved the cart, a woman started grabbing some for herself. We started talking at the checkout and come to find out she is from Hawaii and has been here about 5 years. I really should have asked her what she wanted to move to Missouri for!!! Anyway she had a lot of the stuff including tikis and full sets of the palm dishes and plates. She said they reminded her of home. We really held up the line because I insisted that the cashier wrap each one of the palms and tikis. She said:"they won't break, they're wood" So I told her no,not wood and they will break so wrap them seperately please. I recommend that you ask for that when you check out or you might get home with a sack of "tiki-crumbs". And if you wait to go get these, you might miss out altogether. I bet many stores will sell out by the end of the weekend! OK I will shut up now. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation