FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food I need a list for a fully stocked bar (Tiki and the Usual)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
I need a list for a fully stocked bar (Tiki and the Usual)
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-15 2:20 pm   Permalink

One handy comment that I think Beachbum Berry made was to go for the cheap little sampler bottles for some of the more esoteric liqueurs, at least initially. Not only do you save some dough since most recipes only call for a tiny bit of the specialty items like Pernod, but also it gives you a chance to see if you actually like that particular liqueur. For example, that's how I learned I don't like Benedictine (tastes like old lady's perfume), so I sure as heck am never gonna buy a full bottle of the stuff. But that's also how I learned that I really like drinks with some Galliano.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-15 6:29 pm   Permalink

Buying the "mini's" was a great idea. I just did that last week. However.... I found that I drove to 8 different liquor stores only to find 3 of the more esoteric mini's that I needed (Frangelico, Barenjager, and Pernod). That's a lot of gas wasted, but then again it was also kind of the thrill of the hunt. Now if I can just find some more of the others that I need/want.

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-15 7:07 pm   Permalink

It becomes a quest, just like for mugs. While you are out doing your normal stuff, you drop into a liquor store to see what they have. You NEVER know. That's how I discovered a local store has carried St. James Martinique Rum for 8 years running. the only one around. And I found a small bottle of Pernod that was vintage and not a huge expensive one. Add that to you stops along with antique stores and thrift stores. One more thing to collect, but a damned good one!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-10 5:27 pm   Permalink

I found the majority of my glassware at thrift stores, including some nice crystal stuff. Can't miss that tell-tale clear sound. Sure takes the edge off buying it all brand new.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
great kahuna

Posted: 2005-11-16 6:55 pm   Permalink

Here's a recipe for Rock Candy Syrup. It will save you a little money.

Sugar Syrup - (also called rock candy syrup or simple syrup):
Heat 3 parts water and 2 part superfine sugar in a saucepan for approximately 5 minutes. Allow to cool before adding to drink

View Profile of great kahuna Send a personal message to great kahuna  Email great kahuna Goto the website of great kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 08:24 am   Permalink

Since its holiday time, its a perfect time to keep an eye out for sales. Pier One is having a 20% sale on all bar glassware. Found some nice ballon style glasses for less than the $2.00 price. A good time to open up that peripheral vision.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation