FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki The Tiki Leilani Mug
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Tiki Leilani Mug
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2004-04-13 12:15 pm   Permalink

Maui Tiki had a good idea in the 3-face mug thread. Let's start a separate thread to discuss all things "Tiki Leilani". The lowly Leilani mug has been discussed in many other threads, but I don't believe it's had a thread strictly devoted to it.

Let's talk history and prices. Let's post photos of as many variations as we can, (I know there are lots of them). Didn't we discuss a green variation from Club Tahiti in Tucson?

Since I'm primarily a paper collector, I'll start us off with the following offering; One of the original Leilani Rum magazine adds, where you could mail in for a 4-pack of tiki mugs:

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 12:23 pm   Permalink

Here's the actual bottle found on the World's Longest Yardsale by Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky on 2004-04-13 12:24 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 12:28 pm   Permalink

Here's a mug I just saw on ebay, but I don't have one:

The description from the auction reads:
"This very unique and unusual BI mug was used to serve coffee on the"great pumpkin" flight from DFW to Honollulu."

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 12:48 pm   Permalink

I just bought six Hawaiian Inn Tiki Leilani's for $30. We wanted to have them for serving guests, or in case PolyPop ever comes for a visit (oops, smash!) I hated to spend $5 each for such a common mug, but I liked being able to buy a half-dozen at one time.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 12:56 pm   Permalink

Holy Sweet Leilanis!

Courtesy of
http://hometown.aol.com/swizzledd/tiki.html

[ This Message was edited by: badmojo on 2004-04-13 13:26 ]

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 1:13 pm   Permalink

BOING!

So THAT'S where they all are!

Lotsa swizzles too! Coooool.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 1:15 pm   Permalink

Yet another:

When life hands you limes... make Mai Tais!

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 2:03 pm   Permalink

I may have mentioned this before, but the one & only time I found 'em (3), they were with a bunch of Orchids of Hawaii mugs, Coco Joes, etc. The annoying thing was, most of the mugs were priced at $0.75 to $1.50 but the Leilani's were $3.25 each! My guess was that the employee who priced them only recognized the Leilani and figured that it must be more popular and valuble.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 4:49 pm   Permalink

Ah, the beloved "Tiki Leilani". Excellent topic since I bet all of us here have at least one.

I saw one the other day on ebay that read "Vintage 'Tiki Leilani' Vase - NO RESERVE". They were asking something like $14.99 for it. I guess that's a good price since there is NO RESERVE?!

I love mine because I feel the same way Kailuageoff does... Certain friends of mine get this one to drink from.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 8:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-13 12:56, badmojo wrote:
Holy Sweet Leilanis!

I've seen that wall of Leilanis in person, its overwhelming! And she has MORE!
tg

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-13 9:09 pm   Permalink

when I have friends over for a party, I always let them choose whatever drink vessel they want from the wall of tiki mugs. It always amuses me that the ones they pick are not the ones we, as tiki aficionados, would consider the best. Leilani always gets picked. As does the generic coconut.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
annalulu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-13 11:49 pm   Permalink

I'm actually going to sell a bunch of my Leilanis at a yard sale this weekend...how much should I charge?? I paid about $3-$5 for each of them...can I get that back?

(I'm in L.A., if that matters in pricing)

View Profile of annalulu Send a personal message to annalulu  Email annalulu Goto the website of annalulu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 09:30 am   Permalink

i collect a leilani if it is different from the others i have. the most noticable difference i have found is whether it is one-faced or two-faced. and of course the name on the base. i'll review and snap some fotos...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 12:33 pm   Permalink

Man I wish I could post pics...(no I don't, have no digi-cam, scanner and no time), but what belongs here is the original 21 inch Vacu-form display Tiki from Leilani Hawaiian Rum, lit up from inside (plus a light bulb to backlight the bottle). This was a holy grail for me because it is that very Tiki that graces the walls of the Tiki Ti with the backlit menus on the forehead (sans feet).
I got a mint one in Waikiki years ago (cost a mint, too). Fatuhiva, can't you post a pic of yours, lit up?

The Tiki Leilani was the first Tiki mug I ever purchased, at the Sea & Jungle Shop, in the late 80s, just before it closed.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-14 5:16 pm   Permalink

I've never found a marked "Tiki Leilani", but if this covers the Orchids of Hawaii R-91, here are my stats.

Cheapest: I got six R-91's, eight stacking two-faced tiki cups and a small Aztec figurine for $10 in a flea market.

Most expensive: I passed on an R-91 at $25 from an antique store. It was beside the suffering bastard decater I paid about $15.50 for...ain't life funny?

I see R-91's in midwestern antique malls priced in a range of $1 to $4. I've been trying to notice if they are still there from time to time as sort a guage of tiki interest in my neck of the woods.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation