FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food For the drinkers.... how far have you gone?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
For the drinkers.... how far have you gone?
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-04 11:34 pm   Permalink

K.T.

Check the post about "Grenadine." I'm going down to LA in a week and could easily do some shopping. I'm also making another pilgramage to Tiki Ti, and I can't wait.

-T.J.

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-05 3:30 pm   Permalink

Grog Log P45 Kapu-Kai
Great drink, but even better with a salted rim
(and don't even bother with the 'rimming' jokes, it's a fantastic drink)

Bottoms up!

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-06 9:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks TJ I have tried to Mirrati's on the way home twice and have not seen it. Tomorrow I will look up the address. While in Los Angeles you should check out

Wine & Liquor Depot
16938 Saticoy St, Van Nuys, CA 91406
Phone: (818) 996-1414

They've got alot of good stuff, at they lowest prices I've seen.

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-06 9:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks TJ I have tried to Mirrati's on the way home twice and have not seen it. Tomorrow I will look up the address. While in Los Angeles you should check out

Wine & Liquor Depot
16938 Saticoy St, Van Nuys, CA 91406
Phone: (818) 996-1414

They've got alot of good stuff, at they lowest prices I've seen.

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingslod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 1:08 pm   Permalink

When I saw the title of this forum, I clicked on it--anxiously anticipating some tales of drunken debauchery...Some lost weekend tales of woe and/or madness...I guess the title would be more like "How far down in the gutter have you gone?" or "How long have you spent worshiping the porcelain (Tiki) idol?"

View Profile of kingslod Send a personal message to kingslod  Email kingslod Goto the website of kingslod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-07 2:13 pm   Permalink

Hey KT,

Yeah, I'll check that place out too when I'm down there.
Miratti's is at 4441 Hollister Ave., South side of the street, one block West of Modoc.
On a slightly different note... I found a bottle of Parfait Amour for about $15 the other day at a liquor store down on Montecito St., just down from Castillo. It was a dusty, dirty bottle with the label taped back on because the glue had given out. I assume because of it's condition it is rather old.
Still no luck finding Falernum in Santa Barbara. Maybe there are some liquor stores in Montecito that have some older stock?

-T.J.

P.S. Taking a few days off from mixing. I'm trying to let my liver heal a little after "Gringo de Mayo." I only had one drink.... that I remember... and it was served in a bucket with a rubber shark in it.

[ This Message was edited by: Tonnikan Jinn on 2004-05-07 14:17 ]

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-08 12:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-02 13:06, Swanky wrote:
So, cut the lime in half or less, and don't go by the little icon guy as far as drink strength, look at the recipe. For instance, look at the Boo Loo's icon. Not a strong drink. Look at the recipe, 4.5 ounces of liquor! Then Gone the Beachcomber is supposed to be very strong, but the recipe calls for 1.5 ounces of alcohol.

I agree that some of the Grog Log drinks are too sour (like for example "Pieces of Eight") but other drinks have IMO a very nice balance, so I don't think it's a good idea to cut the lime content in half or less as a general rule.

As for the icon guy showing how strong the drink is, I think it's supposed to show how much of the entire drink that's liquor and not the actual amount liquor. For example, a small cocktail often tastes much stronger than a bigger drink although the latter might contain more liquor.

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-09 12:59 pm   Permalink

Update:

Tahitian
Noa Noa

Two more down, only..... oh geez!... that's a lot more to go.

However, it was a very pleasant evening sitting on my porch, sipping a beverage, tiki torches lit, reading Trader Vic's Bartender's guide.

-T.J.

Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 11:44 pm   Permalink

Update:
Q.B. Cooler
Coronado Luau Special
Trader Vic Grog
Polynesian Paralysis
Royal Daiquiri
Skipper Kent Planter's Punch
Surf Room Mai Tai
Tonga Planter's

I think that's 46 so far (I'm marking each page as I go). At the moment I'm sipping a Polynesian Paralysis... LOVE IT!! I wish I could buy Okolehao in gallon sized jugs. That stuff tastes great.

So... am I just a drunk, or is anyone else out there drinking? How far in the books have you gone?

-T.J.

Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 12:36 am   Permalink

TJ where did you get the Okolehao? I could use some of that!

Cheers,

KT

Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 12:31 pm   Permalink

KT,

I got the Okolehao online from
http://www.internetwines.com , but they appear to be out of stock right now. I'm going to look around a little more for some, ask some friends with family in Hawaii, talk to some local liquor store owners.... I will get some more even if I have to swim to Hawaii myself!

On a different note, the name of the liquor store at 4441 Hollister Ave. is Talevi's not Miratti's (although it is listed in the phone book as both). I went by there yesterday and they didn't have Trader Vic's Grenadine like I thought they had. NO WHERE in Santa Barbara has anything but Roses. I'm glad I'm going to L.A. in two days.

-T.J.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 1:00 pm   Permalink

I found this while searching:

"Rev. Ruling 61-70

Okolehao

Section 201.467 of the Distilled Spirits Plants Regulations provides in part that bottles containing spirits bottled on bottling premises for export shall have securely affixed thereto a label showing, among other things, the kind of spirits contained therein. This requirement means a designation as to kind in conformity with the standards of identity prescribed for domestic products under the Federal Alcohol Administration Act (27 U.S.C. 205(e)). However, the Distilled Spirits Labeling and Advertising Regulations issued under the Federal Alcohol Administration Act do not set forth a standard of identity for okolehao and do not contain specific provisions requiring this product to be bottled at not less than 80 degrees proof. Therefore, a product bottled at 76 degrees of proof may be labeled as okolehao for exportation to foreign markets.

26 U.S.C. 5201; 27 CFR 201.467 "

Mai-Kai Memories Series Custom ceramic mugs!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 1:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-05 15:30, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Grog Log P45 Kapu-Kai
Great drink, but even better with a salted rim
(and don't even bother with the 'rimming' jokes, it's a fantastic drink)

Bottoms up!

Google Image search for "Rimmer"

Is there a drink called a Red Dwarf? There should be, something like a lager with a shot of Chicken Vindaloo in it...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 9:34 pm   Permalink

I just got a bottle of Falernum, Maraschino liqueur, a mini Licor 43, and a mini Campari so my mixing capabilities have grown substantially. My latest drinks are....
Pieces of Eight
Palace Court
Yellow Boxer
Tonga Zombie
Aku Aku Lapu
Demerara Dry Float
Golden Wave
Beachbum's Own
Blackbeard's Ghost

That's 55 so far, and loving every bit of it!

-T.J.

[ This Message was edited by: Tonnikan Jinn on 2004-05-17 23:20 ]

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-18 05:56 am   Permalink

I thought the title of this thread was referrig to how crazy have you gone while drunk!!!

Well, since it is about the grog log, I guess I can't add my 2 cents then - I dont have the book. But crazy stories...

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation