FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 8:06 pm   Permalink

I've never understood the current connection between tiki and burlesque. Neither does my dad who, back in the day, frequented many Polynesian clubs and burlesque clubs (he dated Lilly Christine, the Cat Girl.). He says they were absolutely not the same thing, though there were burlesque dancers who performed in grass skirts. And I'm pretty darn sure most kumu hula would be offended at having their craft compared or connected to burlesque.
Myself, I would rather have seen more Mai Kai Gents and Smokin' Menehunes than burleasque.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 8:45 pm   Permalink

This was my 3rd TO and I do have to agree it did have a very different vibe this year. The first time I went (TO 2), it was great. There were few vendors, but all had great stuff to sell. The drinks were out of this world and the music was perfect! There was just enough people to make you feel as if you were at a backyard BBQ.

Last year (TO 3) in my opinion was the best year. The music was on from the early morning thru late in the evening. There were huge speakers set up on tri-pods around the pool so music was everywhere. There were more vendors than the year before which was great, but not too many. A few vendors were offering great deals on mugs, pendants, carvings, etc. I got the best scores from Munktiki, picking up the unreleased mugs skull monkey ($10), U Bastard ($15), El Bastardo ($10 in red too!), two-Tiki Oasis lil' Bastard mugs in white ($14 for both), even a Shecky for $18 (which was the most expensive mug I purchased). I left the Munktiki table with I believe 13 mugs and spent less than $150. I also picked up great mugs from Tiki Diablo, House of Tiki, and Tiki Farm. Total mugs purchased 21...total amount spent $200. Don't even get me started on the Mai Tai's....all I have to say is I was feeling pretty good! And the tiki carvings...outstanding! There was a live tiki carving show, dive-in movie, I even got a personalized letter from Shag were he signed it and drew a little pic of himself.

This year, in my opinion, seems as if there were more vendors than people who were there to just enjoy the atmosphere. The feeling of just relaxing with people that share a same special interest seemed to be lacking. The event did have a little "swap meet" feel to it. About the items getting stolen...that's some bullsh*t! I have always felt that "tiki people" are the most trustworthiest people I have ever known. Our towels were stolen (and they weren't the cool towels from the tropics with the tiki's on them either) from our personal lounge chairs while my hubby and I went to get some drinks, that pissed me off royally! Towels??? Those towels were $15. $15!!!! What kind of person steals cheap used towels??? The music, I'll just say that The King and Crazy Al are always the best in my book. And the deals??? What deals? This year the cheapest mug I bought was $25 (not bad at all, but the only cheap mug), thanks Tiki Diablo! And as for Munktiki, don't get me wrong, I love these guys and I think they do fantastic work, but this year, I walked away from their table with three mugs and $185 less in my wallet (compare to last year) and there were three other mugs that I wanted from them, but if I bought them, I would have been out an additional $400 which is simply out of my price range. I bought five mugs this year and spent $250 and I really shouldn't have spent so much (tapped). It made me kind of sad but not in the normal "sad" type way. I thought it seemed like the prices at most of the vending tables were as high as they were to maybe discourage resale, ebay, etc. I know resale happens, but it sucks for the people (like me) that are collectors and ONLY COLLECTORS that might be getting the shaft because of this.

The parking, I really can't complain because I did find a parking spot. I did think it kind of a bummer that people had to move their cars and park blocks away. The ice...MORE ICE it was freakin' hot!

I know I'm going on and on, but I just hope that the TO event doesn't turn into something far from the original vision of it. Too much of anything (tiki excluded of course) can be a bad thing. Over the top isn't always better. Tiki is simple, tiki lifestyle is relaxed, kick-back and enjoy yourself and hopefully this will remain throughout all future events....just my opinion.

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hazmania
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-12 10:43 pm   Permalink

The older guy at the bar tried to stick me with a bad drink too! I guess the several Mai Tais I had previously fortified my courage to comment as I watched him hand me the drink. I pushed it back and asked him where the dark rum went and he replied, "...oh yeah, I forgot." Sure he did. I avoided him for the rest of the night when I fetched further rounds.

I enjoyed all the acts. I think the variety enhanced the entertainment. I enjoy aggressive hula dancing (like the opening credits of Hawaii Five-O)as much as the next guy but just because the entertainment wasn't exactly spot-on doesn't mean it wasn't fun. P.S. I hate it when friends drag their kids to our poolside luaus and then expect us to change our behavior due to their presence. Post the schedule and let informed parents decide if its proper.

Thanks for the great time and friendly welcome.

View Profile of hazmania Send a personal message to hazmania  Email hazmania     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 11:07 pm   Permalink

This year was our first too. We had a great time meeting some new friends and partying with some old ones. Al & Shelly were very generous with the Lapu Lapu's, Shipwreck and Mustang are always fun, Kick the Reverb and the Mrs., Bong, Monkeyman, Modmana, Bongofury & the Mrs. and TikiRider were great to just hang with. Can't wait to get together again.

As for the thieves.....the creeps stole our towel too (and left the cooler full of booze alone, dumb ass).

Otto & BabyDoe, we know how much work planning an event like this is and we appreciate it greatly and are looking forward to next year.

[ This Message was edited by: OnaTiki on 2004-05-12 23:08 ]

View Profile of OnaTiki Send a personal message to OnaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 12:38 am   Permalink

next year, I may just bring my stuff to give out to counter the bad juju of the few schmucks! did anyone get to take any of the candles that I left in the Reef bar or the pool area? I hope so! I would like to send Al and Shelley a nice candle or sumpin' to show my room 135 appreciation! Even though this was my second Oasis and I feel I know a lot more people better now, I still need to learn the lore of room 135! It seems to be hallowed ground and I want to respect it's importance!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 12:40 am   Permalink

Quote:
On 2004-05-12 19:36, Tiki-bot wrote:

Scrimshaw & friend (who is she?)

That's ME, Futura Goil!!! (in my mumu that should have shown more cleavage if i had it on right

[ This Message was edited by: Futura Girl on 2004-05-13 00:41 ]

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 01:20 am   Permalink

I would have liked to had a Tiki Oasis IV t-shirt available for purchase...maybe with Derek Yaniger's artwork thats featured on the program that was handed out. Were shirts made for any of the other past events?

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 01:32 am   Permalink

you @#!~*& guys??? the only thing to complain about is the god-damn Mother’s day weekend thing....

this whole discussion comes down to money.... Mother’s day is the slowest weekend of the spring season for the Tropics and was offered up as the only option to June’s 115-degree festivities of the first two years.
But after selling the thing out beyond capacity (even on mother’s day) two years in a row should be enough to demand any weekend the event wants!!!!

As for the rest of the squabbling... one should remember that this is a “Tiki News” event not a “Tiki Central Event”!!! Remember... this guy Otto, who being great friends with this guy Sven, started a fan-zine in 1995 about tikis.... that just might have started the ball rolling on this whole tiki thing....
Hmmm... long before TC could have ever existed there where folks who really got it... could this be true?

Any way... anyone who shows up at hotel for a weekend of partying without a huge ice chest full of ice and booze is a complete armature.

Otto being the original Tiki cheap'o... thrift shopper of them all... has always had the goal of an affordable weekend.
I still can’t believe the price of last years event, and the year before was $10 I think.
But guess what... you get what you pay for. Even at $40, entertainment for two nights is dang good.

If any of you have hired a pro Hula-Tahitian dancer before.... you will know that they aint cheap!! in fact they’s dang expensive... forget about the fire dancers.....
I would rather see the armature burlesque friends of Baby Doe and Otto than a crappy second rate hula group looking for publicity... that’s for sure (totally un’tiki). True, maybe the dancers should concentrate on their acts a bit, and get a bit more in theme. I know the gal from Vegas in the Tiki glass was to do a fire-breathing bit, but that was exempted by a snaphew. The Bone chick was right on, but not right on time... If you want Hawaiiana there are plenty of festivals to go to. This is a ‘Tiki’ event by Tiki News... the original!

I say no Mother’s Day!.... more people... more doe... more doe... better acts ... better management delegation... you can only do so much with volunteers.

If you want private TC parties, reserve your own hotel or throw your own festival.
Oasis is a public event. The last I knew TC’ers were a minority of the populace.

The last I knew there was no romper-room at Trader Vic’s.... deal with it.

this sums it up.....
“This was my first Tiki Oasis and I couldn't have enjoyed it more.” SPYTIKI

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al on 2004-05-13 01:54 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 02:40 am   Permalink

TikiBot! you always got the camera rolling at the right moments!!! I got to get a copy of that one with the Fisherman.

Finally stopped falling into naps every hour... Reef, stage set and strike, vending, performing, enjoying, pool water fighting... crap... next time i should just show up with a lawn chair and take it in...

Thanks for all the support at my booth and cheers for the band...I had a Blast again!

next year NO MOM'S DAY!!!

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al on 2004-05-13 02:42 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 07:30 am   Permalink

I would like to thank Bad Brad and Angelo(Tiki Guy) and KuKui Nut(Sara) for the wonderful stage decorations, without their help it just would have been a black rectangle. Oh, and I think C'Al did some too.
And some really grumpy guy helped.
Otto, next year can we get the stage on Thurs.?
Happydog (What can I do?)

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 07:50 am   Permalink

Casey, The Tropics was so good this time!!
Ulla was so nice, she changed a couple of things for myself and friends,"NO PROBLEM"

Casey it was great to see you more this time, and happy too.

The Purple Orchid crew was flippen fantastic, I really watched a huge difference this time. Dave your ordering skills are right on!!

Still one of my favorite places to visit!!

OH MY GOD did I have some great Las Casitas grinds. The seafood chimmy heaven!

I parked right in front of my room the whole time!!

On the way in I stopped at the store and filled my 155 quart ice chest and never ran out.

It was quite fun meeting new people, and seeing my TC family, I love them!!
Happydog (What can I do?)

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 08:18 am   Permalink

Al - One of the aspects of this fundraiser was the timing. It is held at a time when the place ordinarily isn't attracting too many guests. If we had the event during "on" season, we chase away/displace other guests who would otherwise have stayed there and Caliente loses. If they sold out the event, all the better. If the need to fill out the place on an off-weekend will continue to be an important consideration, if you still want to help out Caliente, then it's either Mother's Day or it's 115 degrees.

I like that people can bring their kids.

It's true that no one forces us to watch the entertainment. There are other things to do, for sure. I only made it out there for a couple of acts, myself. I reckon the lanai will be less crowded that way.

I don't think that TC is an insignificant minority of the participants. I'd love to see the numbers, though.

[ This Message was edited by: floratina on 2004-05-13 08:41 ]

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 08:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-12 20:01, Unga Bunga wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-05-12 16:19, lucas vigor wrote:
Someone pissed in my beer..was it you, Bong?

Oh great! It’s another, “I wanna piss Bong off, but I don’t want him to know who I am” New Membership ID.

That's 'cause I am his bass player...I Like to screw with him..and besides, I think he DID piss in my beer!!! (but he did it with love!!!)

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 09:11 am   Permalink

Tiki Central is NOT a minority at these events. The list of TCers that I was trying to snap photos of at the Oasis was at LEAST 95 people long. That number does not include the spouses, significant others, kids and family that several TC folk brought along. That also does not include the scores of people who use Tiki Central to get information but are not actually registered users.

In total, I would guess that Tiki Central participants(member, spouse, family, freinds, etc) at the Oasis were at LEAST 180-200 people. That is a large enough number where our concerns or questions are valid ones. No one is asking for a private party but rather was sharing observations as to how the event has evolved.

It was an excellent event as always and the amount of work donated by volunteers (like yourself C'Al) is amazing to say the least.

Some of the feedback in this post can make the event even better next year and some of it is just venting or perhaps a little frustration.

Get more volunteers involved in the planning process. I am certain that it would not be difficult to find active participants here at Tiki Central. Raise the price!!!!!!$60 each.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 10:02 am   Permalink

I think the only reason so many kids were there (mine included) was because of it being on Mother's day! Although my wife and daughter split on saturday, I would've caught hell I were here by myself all weekend, tiki-ing it up!

NOW! with that all said and done, let's think about how freakin' awesome the TIki Oasis is! I hope that Otto doesn't getted bummed by this thread...I use C'al's opinion as a springboard for how Otto might be feeling. Personally, I had a fantastic time....I was butt-stinking drunk on saturday night and woke up a few hours later completely fine! no spins! no nausea! nuttin'! you know why? Freakin' Tiki Oasis, that's why! Because, even though there may be some gripes, these are the people I want to be with in the environment in which I want to be! I am hearby propping up my banner with Otto's face on it! Thank God for Otto and Tiki Oasis!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation