FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 10:47 am   Permalink

As a reminder, this thread is not about bashing anyone but rather, to provide constructive criticism so as to improve the Tiki Oasis event for future visitors.

Remember, our very complaints about last years (Tiki Oasis III) Reef bar fiasco is what prompted the improvement in the Reef bar in this years Tiki Oasis event.

I love Tiki Oasis and I enjoy attending every year. I also appreciate all the work that goes into planning and organizing an event of this magnitude. And it is for these reasons that I think its a good idea to address issues that could be improved.

Poly-Pop *

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ This Message was edited by: polynesianpop on 2004-05-13 15:47 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 10:58 am   Permalink

Yeah like I said, we're only knitpicking now. Tiki Oasis is the most fun I have each year, it's better than Viva Las Vegas, I enjoy it even a little more than Teaseorama (no disrespect to that event which I also love). WIth all the complaining about stuff being stolen or dance mix CDs I still don't think that there is anyone hwo went to Tiki Oasis that regrets going. Otto put on an awesome show and many thanks to Casey for having us.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 11:35 am   Permalink

FYI for those interested (whoever you are): Just talked to Otto and he said he can arrange a bigger screen next year for the dive-in movie, even if the only person the small screen really bothered was me. I'll try to arrange 16mm again (as with "Hawaiian Eye", which now costs about 300.00 to screen, which is a shakedown since I rent 35mm films from them all the time for only 250.00!), but we'll probably wind up with DVD, which, on a large screen at a 1:33 ratio, will look great and practically indistinguishable from film. At least if you're bleary eyed from chlorine and rum.

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 12:11 pm   Permalink

Thank you to Crazy Al and Bax and Kukui Nut and Tiki Guy for the stage and it's fabulous adornments

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 1:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-12 15:51, Tiki Bird wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-05-12 12:34, Monkeyman wrote:

We had a great time but I grew tired of people who consistently mooched free alcohol from others with no type of reciprocity.

There were a couple of guys who were having a bachelor party & were staying at the oasis & one kept coming over to Z's room for drinks. I guess i thought that everybody staying at oasis was from TC, kinda bums me out that their was a large number of TC peps on the waiting list to stay at Oasis but this guy got a room. Oh well...

The Oasis was advertised other ways in addition to Tiki Central--Otto's tiki email list is one way I know of. Did the Tiki Central folks get advance notice of the event--or did others like those on Otto's list, etc find out at the same time? Wouldn't it be great to fill up the place with ONLY Tiki Central folk?? When I was at the Oasis two years ago-there were alot of folk who were NOT there for the Oasis, so at least this year because of the pre-selling of rooms almost a year in advance, I would say all of the people had to be there for the Oasis-no accidental drop-ins.
Of course, I am generalizing about TC--every now and then some @@shole joins Tiki Central (we usually take care of them quick!!) but I am always pleased at how incredibly friendly the average TC member is!! Congrats to all of us!
Now, I can't wait to meet more of the Portland crowd Friday night at the Alibi!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 1:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-12 16:02, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Quote:

With regard to the PG -fication of this otherwise adult alcohol-based event, the calendar was available ahead of time and those parents who would feel uncomfortable about the burlesque acts could decide for themselves to leave at the appropriate time (or take their kids to the pool during that set) Come on guys !! I'm not trying to be insenstitive to those parents with kids, but we cannot plan our fun/lives etc according to what's appropriate for children!

As a parent of stellar kids, I thought nothing wrong with letting my daughters watch the burlesque gals.

Shielding children from anything but violence serves no purpose; it only sets them up for a rude awakening upon adulthood.

My friend told me that there were hard-core sex scenes on the video that was projected during the "sexy robot" show--I think that is what most of the parents wished they could have shielded their kids from.

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 1:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-05-12 16:23, suicide_sam wroteI think that to a point maybe we are just having growing pains. There were twice as many vendors this year, and just lots more people at the show. On Saturday I kind of found myself asking, who are these people, I've never seen them before, where did they come from? Next year I'm sure there will be more people in attendace and more vendors. I just hope we don't keep straying further from the Tiki theme. And we will have to continue to decide wether we want an event that we can have a sinfully good time at, or an event that will be good for the whole family. As the event gets bigger it is no longer our thing and we'll have to deal with outsiders coming in who might steal things or try to push dance patry mix CDs on us. When it was a close knit family if anyone was acting up you could just yell out, "HEY TIKI BONG, STOP BEING A JACK ASS" and that usually settled things (just jivin ya Bong). By Saturday night I only knew maybe half the people at the Oasis. Next year I'll probably know even less than half as things keep growing. Some growth is good though Like I said, we're just having growing pains, figureing out what parts of the teh tiki scene growing we like and what parts annoy us. Allot of us used to love moshing, stage diving, and floating. Now we're the ones at shows going, "Hey someone could get hurt".

Bigger is not always better-there does have to be some limit. One way to help the growth problem would be to(here he goes again...) alternate the event between Mothers Day and maybe mid-june the next year--from my understanding the weather this year was warmer than usual and was pretty close to what it would be in June-so those of you that didn't want summer weather-you got it anyways. You just don't know how Mother nature is going to react! Changing it to mid-June when it is a little hotter will cut down (a little-only a little) the amount of people who want to go. The die-hards will show up no matter what!! The odd hangers-on may not

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 1:47 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-05-13 13:38, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:

My friend told me that there were hard-core sex scenes on the video that was projected during the "sexy robot" show--I think that is what most of the parents wished they could have shielded their kids from.

So that's why my mom wouldn't let me go.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 1:57 pm   Permalink

Thats some great advertising you had at Oasis RBB!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-05-13 13:57 ]

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-05-13 2:11 pm   Permalink

I'm so impressed that Otto and Baby Doe pulled off another great weekend for all us overgrown kids, as their own lives get busier with more grownup activities like raising their own youngun. Naomi and I had a great time again this year. I was getting over a cold, so I was even more cottonheaded than usual, but actually the dry desert air was very nice. Also pretty neat to have the tie-in art show over at M Modern, and I was surprised how many of the artists came out for that. Many other neat ideas this year, like the guest bartenders, the costume contest, and even the themed nights I think made it more fun. I think there were quite a few kinks from previous years that were straightened out this year, probably many with no one noticing which is a good thing, but also Otto and Baby Doe deserve thanks for that.

The Reef was done beautifully, and the Smokin' Menehunes were just perfect in there on Sat. This was our third time seeing the Maikai Gents play at Caliente, and it was just magical as always. The new steel guitar player sounded great, and I always like when Iuka sings Waikiki. Project Pimento and Fisherman were great too - nice to see Fisherman on the west coast (the best coast) again. And King Kuk continues to display one of the sharpest wits around - can't imagine the event without him!

We did have a few regrets, especially not spending more time with some of our TC friends. Arrived just a little too late to catch Martiki's stint as guest bartender. Naomi wanted to say hi to Purple Jade and also see some of Sabu's grand postcard collection, but we failed on both counts. Also wanted to visit 135 again, but just didn't last that late. The spirit was willing but the head was foggy.

But it was nice talking to the people we did see. Some great vendor stuff from Munktiki, Tikidiablo, Swampfire, Johnny Velour and others. Also some rather odd vendor stuff. Here are some pictures from the weekend...

Project Pimento

Smokin' Menehunes in The Reef

The Maikai Gents featuring the Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa (and a new steel guitar player)

Aaron Marshall's piece at the M Modern art show

The multi-talented artiste Cherry Capri with her Aloha Jhoe

Naomi with her favorite Bosko piece

Swamp Fire / Mr. Crafty in his booth on Sun

The Munktiki booth on Sun, with two guys from the Japanese group that was visiting and taking photos over the weekend for a magazine. Also the guy in the red shirt works for the company that makes the silver pendants that were for sale in the Munktiki booth. They know each other from Munktiki's association with M1 gallery in Japan. Some cool pendants, including Munktiki Evil Bastards, and also a Tiki Bob, an Aku Aku style medallion, and a Paul Marshall mug.

Naomi with Dale and Ran kick_the_reverb

Naomi, DJ Lee in the Sunday bamboo grove DJ area, and weirduncletiki

Naomi and TikiVixen

King Kuk proves he still has energy on Sunday

-Randy

[ This Message was edited by: aquarj on 2004-05-21 20:25 ]

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 2:20 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-05-13 13:47, Unga Bunga wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-05-13 13:38, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:

So that's why my mom wouldn't let me go.

But, UNGA...you WERE there-up on the video screen!!!
hope wecan both go some year(and stay OFF the video screen)--Mr Smiley.

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-05-13 3:22 pm   Permalink

Well, it was a great weekend. We had a blast- it was just what the doctor ordered after one of the worst weeks of my life. Great to see everyone again, and sorry that I missed some folks (Casey!) Also great to meet loads of new centralites. So many thanks to the following, in no particular order:

-Dave, Rebecca and the Purple Orchid Staff. I know I was a little underfoot during my guest bartending stint- it was crowded back there and none of us knew where anything was, so we pulled together to find things! Like bitters! It was hairy at first but it went well. I didn't promote it on TC because I had some jitters, but I quickly sold out and made nearly 30 drinks.
-I am falling in love with Ulla. I want her to dance on my back in stilettos, and I have a feeling she'd like that, too.
-Congrats to Al & Ben on The Reef. Looking fantastic.
-The hospitality of Al & Shelly in 135. Good times as always!
-The hospitality of Dr. Z and his delicious Beachum's Own. I checked and I do not have your glassware.
-Cheeky Girl for all the work on the Zombie Contest. I think it went pretty damn well.
-Really enjoyed The Smokin' Menehunes show at The Reef. Sounds great, guys!
-Casey for so very much.
-Otto & Doe for so very much.
-Monkeyman for doing the picture board- and laying down the law at the Zombie Contest!
-My apologies for saying, "Yeah! That sounds cool!" whan asked, "Should we put the fog machine in Dr. Z's room?"
-My apologies for murdering the melodica.
-Project Pimento: better and better everytime and damn tiki as far as I'm concerned. Exotic instumentation and "Bali Hai"- what else do you need?
-Ape: always fantastic
-Mai Kai Gents: ditto. Plus Astrocaster!

All the best to everyone, and hope to see y'all again soon. In the meantime, here's a few of our select pictures:

Humu and Rebecca

Humu and Vixen

Sir, there is a vertebrae on your face.

Guest bartending

Heat that falsetto? Il Castrato!

Melodica as it's meant to be played.

This is why he gets all the girls.

The scene

Seksu Roba's killer robot. This thing delighted my inner dork. It was like the Rock It video!

Showing mad love for the german.

The thrill of victory

Overcome with emotion

That Miata sure makes a great bench.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 4:13 pm   Permalink

back to Mother's day....

as far as founds and PR goes, if the event was held on a normal weekend... maybe ten times the people would go.. (i'd hope).. People that would not even know the Tropics exists!!! This might bum TC'ers out... but more people means more money... bla bla..
My post stated that TCers are a minority of the "populous", and that the event is open to the public.... another weekend in May would not do anything but support the Tropics beyond a 'normal capacity'. April might be debated... but it's hot by May and the #'s drop off.

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 4:19 pm   Permalink

Having more people than they had is a negative. They would have to build more rooms and increase the size of the lanai! They were at capacity as it was and couldn't accomodate any more.

[ This Message was edited by: floratina on 2004-05-13 16:21 ]

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-13 6:27 pm   Permalink

this thing has already out grown the Tropics!... the Tropics will always sell out.. the band venue needs to move off site so the show can go longer and accommodate more folks. Vending would not have to tear down the 'strangers' element would be keep busy off site and at other hotels.. I got an idea or two to run past Otto.

Back to mothers day!
Eric of the Great'band'Ape ditched his wife on her first Mother's day! or should i say she didn't want to make the trip with a small baby and miss out on the Partying etc... she would love to partake in... bla bla bla... This might have been her choice, but this type of discomforts are totally unnecessary....

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation