FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
Cherry Capri
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 04:41 am   Permalink

I had to jet out early on Saturday night for another engagement, but I must say that the time I spent at Oasis this year was like none other...

Thank you to everyone who took the origami lesson. It was a treat to meet J and T-Jay - I had no idea there was a birthday celebration going on... Congrats!

Hopefully those who missed it got to pick up the extra instructions and origami papers I left on the Reef tables... Speaking of the Reef, Bamboo Ben and C'Al did such a beeaooootiful job on the bar. And what a treat it was to hear the succulent sounds of the Smokin' Menehunes as I folded away. It was flawless gentlemen.

Also, thanks to King Kuke for inviting me up on stage to sing for a very VERY impromtu version of Hawaiian Ska. Thank goodness he is such a consumate professional to make it all seem all right. All I really wanted to do was shake my maraccas

The M Modern Gallery People also put together a wonderful tiki show in their gallery which I had the pleaure of being in. And if you didn't see Crazy Al's black velvet tikis - ask to see them. There were some other really terrific pieces in that show from old friends and many new talented artists. My favorite piece were these little 3D vingettes with tiki scenes and people drinking rum and other naughty things. I heard the gallery plans to post some pics of the art and the event eventually. I hope they do...

As far as my pics go, I'm on the road for the next week, but I have some fun shots to post as soon as I get back in town.

Mahalo to all and Aloha...

P.S. I would prefer passionfruit flavored jello wrestling to mud. Bring on Bone Girl...

View Profile of Cherry Capri Send a personal message to Cherry Capri  Goto the website of Cherry Capri     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 08:40 am   Permalink

Thanks Cheri! Never had our music called "succulent" before....but that's a great compliment!!!

I was a little nervous playing in front of experts in Tiki culture...but the ambience of the reef bar and the crowd (and the great hawaiian dancer and crazy Al helping to pump things up a bit) made me feel great as I was playing!

Perhaps we will "graduate" to the main stage next year....but I would go to Tiki Oasis even if I ain't playing!!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 10:09 am   Permalink

Oh my goodness, I didn't know that was you, 2QueerTikis! I loved you guys! You must come out and play with us more often. So glad you had such a good time in Room 135. It was also great meeting some other new (to me) faces, including cultjam, suburbanpagan & bongotiki!

Speaking of Room 135, that was the GREATEST! Lived up to the legends I'd heard of the first Room 135. I've counted three pieces of art inspired by Room 135: Suicide Sam's great painting, ChikiTiki's wonderful okole maluna sign, and of course, King Kukulele's song. A fabulous time. Thank you so, so much, Alnshely, for making Room 135 happen. That carpet was lookin' pretty crusty the next morning, if you guys are charged a carpet cleaning fee, I'd like to pitch in a few bucks to help.

The vendor areas looked really great this year, it was a pleasure to cruise the booths, and I managed to not spend too much. I did get a really cool candle from suburbanpagan, a pair of those fabu tiki shoes, and Floratina bought me a really cute tikitony pendant.

The zombie tasting was great fun, and Mig & I LOVED making our dramatic entrance by driving the convertible right through the crowd as we returned from our ice run. My aloha wear release afterward went really well, it made me so happy to see the items fit people perfectly and go to better homes than mine.

The Reef Bar is looking AMAZING! Great, great job, Bamboo Ben & Crazy Al. Casey, I think it's really wonderful that you've been able to set aside a bit of money to gradually improve the Reef Bar, and it really shows. I don't know how the drinks were this year, as I actually only had a few drinks all weekend, and they came from Big Al & Doctor Z. As a matter of fact, I didn't realize until past midnight on Saturday that I hadn't had a drink all day, just a couple sips here & there of other people's Mai Tais! Go figure.

Speaking of Doctor Z, he had some great room parties this year. Thursday night in particular was a tear, I'm not entirely clear on how I got back to my room. Next year, I'm definitely hitting Palm Springs on Thursday instead of Friday again. Mucho mahalos to Doctor Z & Big Al for their fantastic drinks!

Thanks also to all the very sweet people who kept me company as I worked the bar gate at the peak of the heat on Saturday. In just that two hour shift at that minor gate, I lost track of how many people tried to get in without a wristband, it was well over 12, probably about 15. Isn't that something? A couple of them genuinely didn't know it was a ticketed event, but most of them were trying to sneak by. I may not look like I'm an effective bouncer, but I tried pretty hard to make sure only people who'd paid their fair share got in, and most people were very understanding about it, there was only one drunk asshole.

Now that I've worked a gate, I have a plea: wear your wristband! Every time I had to stop someone to ask where their wristband was and wait for them to pull it out of their pocket, it took my eyes away from other people getting in. The people come too quickly for the gatekeepers to always have time to look at your face or check your ankle, it's much easier if your wristband is in view. The easier you make it for the gatekeepers, the harder it will be for unsavory theiving riff-raff to make their way in. Of course, the theiving riff-raff were probably ticket-holders, but you get the picture.

My favorite part of the weekend was, as it always is, my roomie. This time out, I had the great pleasure of rooming with Mig, and we had the best time. You guys already know it, but Mig's the greatest, and it bears repeating.

My feelings are very much like those expressed by Polynesian Pop -- I love my 'ohana so much, you all make my life so wonderful, and I thank you for it.

Okay, enough with the mushy stuff, now what you really want: my pictures. There's a ton of them, no surprise.

Tiki Oasis IV
Thursday
The Drive to Palm Springs: 21 photos
Arrival & Getting Settled: 6 photos
Party in Doctor Z's Room: 17 photos
Friday
Starting the Day: 9 photos
Mig & Humuhumu Tour Palm Springs: 56 photos & video
Oasis Officially Begins: 18 photos
Zombie Tasting: 50 photos
Aloha Wear Release to the Wild: 9 photos
Otto Von Stroheim's Celebrity Hot Tub Party: 5 photos
Saturday
Daytime at Oasis: 16 photos
Dive-In Movie: 6 photos
Party in Doctor Z's Room (again): 22 photos
Room 135: 149 photos, short video, longer video
Sunday
Sunday Morning Coming Down: 9 photos
Iuka Grogg's Ukulele Fantasy Camp: 21 photos & video
Bigfoot Lodge After Party: 8 photos

As is always the case, if there's a picture of you in there that you don't want up, let me know & I'll yank it or crop you out of it.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 10:58 am   Permalink

Well done Otto and everybody involved in throwin' that amazing "Tiki Bash"! My family and I had a blast. The Reef looks really nice...good job B.B.& Crazy. The bands were fantastic and soooo entertaining! My kids usually can't sit still for 5 min. but were mesmerized by all the "Exotica"...King Kook, you are a TIKI GOD! And thanks alot vendors,you all depleted my bank account...but my Tiki room is lookin' SWANKY (will post pics soon). The Purple Orchid Mixologist Babes did an outstanding job in keeping us nice and "juiced" too, (from what I remember!?) thank you so much. Also, if you didn't get a chance to go to the art show at the M Gallery...you blew it! It was Awsome, and the perfect way to cap off one heck of a great weekend on our way out of town and back to reality. Aloha!

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 11:02 am   Permalink

Hey swingers - sorry I missed the after party in 135, I was hosting the poolside dive-in and trying to stay alert for any MORE technical snafus. Unlike in years past, we used a video projector which would've been okay if we'd had a bigger screen. I brought a 5x5 portable which I was told would be large enough (I couldn't recall the dimensions of the pool, it's a pretty big sucker!), but then the tech folks suggested hanging up a sheet anyway (not that anyone noticed probably, but the sprinkler system kicked in about 12:30 right behind it - at first I thought it was a drunken movie critic relieving themself....). We could've thrown the image on a 35mm movie screen if we'd had one (or jut a big wall). Anyway, the print of "From Hell It Came" was pretty murky at times but the sound was cranked up pretty loud, not that the story made any sense anyway. Many or you were already drunk or in the hot tub or crashing a room party by showtime (we got started around the time it was supposed to END), so maybe I'm apologizing for nothing. It was the only "tiki" monster movie I could think of (thought there are plenty of South Sea Island B flicks for the future) - if only you could've see it better. It is also in the public domain so we didn't have to pay any royalties to some greedy movie studio (everyone associated with this film is either dead or too ashamed to come forward.) If anyone has any suggestions for how we could rig a bigger screen next time, fire at Thrill.

Anyway, great time, our second trip to Oasis (we stayed at the Orbit In again), mucho mahalo to Otto and Baby Doe and King and Project Pimento and Fishermen and APE and Casey and all the performers and all the merchants who helped deplete my wallet (which got soaked again when Gorilla X tossed me in the pool!), and of course my parents. Well, maybe not my parents.

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 11:09 am   Permalink

"And to the CD snatcher--you are our hero! We will NEVER NEVER--even under torture or threat of torture give up your identity!"

Wow, Talk about Ohana! It's nice to know one has that many people behind you. But let it be stated here and now:

I AM THE CD SNATCHER!

And I'm damn proud of it! The story has already been told several times before in this thread. Let me just add that Ms. French rudely barreled into room 135, moved right up to the player and attempted to waylay our fun. After the cry of horror from those nearby I knew something needed to be done fast! My first impulse was to simply snatch the CD and toss it out the open door. I decided though, that it would be more fun to run amok in the parking lot pretending to throw it while bellowing "Whoop, whoop whoop" a la 3 Stooges.

I have to admit it still took all my will power to resist from tossing it - not from fear of breaking the CD but rather of implanting it in some Innocent's head or slicing through some cherished feature of the Tropics. The CD was soon returned to her unharmed. Luckily, the incident had the desired effect of MAKING HER LEAVE.

The fact that Ms. French did not know "of the special cachet that 135 has" is immaterial. Her mission that night was simply to commandeer other peoples fun and make herself the center of attention. If that's her desire next year she should invest thousands of dollars in booze, get a room at the Tropics and host a party herself. I'm sure she wouldn't want someone to force their way in and play a rousing rendition of "Okole Maluna" by expelling gas through their sphincter.

So let her know who I am and let her know I'll do it again. And if she is still upset I derailed her plans well, SHE CAN KISS MY A$$ IN MACY'S WINDOW!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs. Arizona
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-11 11:09 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-05-10 13:48, Cousin Dave wrote:
to the only Arizonan who made the trip(as far as I know.)
Hi-Mr. Arizona. I am Mrs. Arizona. You are not alone. I live in Scottsdale too. I was in the savage contest-long brown hair, leopard outfit. I wish we would have met. I am brand new to TC as of last night.

View Profile of Mrs. Arizona Send a personal message to Mrs. Arizona  Email Mrs. Arizona     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 11:22 am   Permalink

Now to get this thread back on the original topic:

Many Thanks go out to Casey and the staff at the Tropics for letting us run amok at their place. The Reef bar looks great! Mahalo to C'AL And Boo for the decor, Dave and Rebbecca for the drinks (Viva la "PURPLE ORCHID!). Of course, BIG thanks to Otto and Bay Doe for setting the who dang thing up (nice boots BD!) And let us not forget Holden for his organization of the vendors.

Once again AL and Shelly proved to be the consummate hosts of 135. It seemed I always had a glass in one hand and a sandwich in the other.

I'm sorry I missed the Zombie tasting but I needed a nap!

Special thanks goes to Lady Velor for letting me use her phone (Love ya, mean it!)

PS: BigBro we missed you Boo Hoo!

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2004-05-11 11:42 ]

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 11:53 am   Permalink

It was great meeting everyone at Tiki Oasis IV! Thanks to Otto and Baby Doe for a great event. The music was great the drinks were strong and none of my newly aquired tiki mugs broke on the drive back home. Thanks to Holden for all of your hard work in working with all of the vendors and bending over backwards to acomodate my needs as a vendor. It was great meeting all of the Tiki central users. Monkeyman, Tikidude, Smokin Tikis, Tiki Tony, SugarCaddyDaddy, Crazy Al, SuburbanPeagan, Bamboo Ben, trashsistas, Munktiki family the list goes on.

Looking forward to next year!
Swamp Fire Lounge

p.s. Mrs. Arizona, I'm from Arizona and I met one other person from AZ. Sorry we missed you.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Crafty on 2004-05-11 11:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. Crafty on 2004-05-11 11:58 ]

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 12:17 pm   Permalink

Mr. Crafty - you never came by for your painkiller! We love our menu, it's going over our new bar, next to our new ALOHA pineapple sign, near the new mugs, and we'll sit and enjoy it all wearing our new PJ jewelry...

The Oasis IV was great, Mr. Pineapple and I didn't quite know what to do with ourselves, last year was such a whirlwind, of nuptuals and such, this year we actually got to relax! I LOVE the new look of the Reef Bar, great job Ben and Al, and Casey for encouraging them. The entertainment and vendors were stellar, thanks Otto and Doe, Holden "vendor king" and AlnShely & Dr. Z for the drinks and fun, (Humu2 - no photos of our 'girl fight'
I had a great time in the pool with all the kids, the little ones AND Baxdog & C'Al. I had lovely, slurry conversations with so many new friends! Thanks to all who made it so much fun!

mrs. pineapple

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bif Sterling

Posted: 2004-05-11 12:21 pm   Permalink

What an incredible weekend! We had a great time and met so many wonderful people. I must thank Grogg for the Ukulele Fantasy Camp it was a personal highlight. Special thanks to Holden for all taking care of the vendors needs. We couldn't have asked for a better person looking out for us... and damn is that trophy cool!

...of course I gotta thank Otto, Baby Doe and everyone else thet made this weekend possible. The Cult of the Eye salutes you!

View Profile of Bif Sterling Send a personal message to Bif Sterling      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 12:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-11 12:17, mrs. pineapple wrote:
Humu2 - no photos of our 'girl fight'

God, I forgot all about that! Yep, Dr. Z's room saw plenty of hot girl-on-girl sticker-smoothin' action well before nutty bone girl showed up.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 12:50 pm   Permalink

So much to say, but I have a miserable head-cold today, probably due to the cultures growing in the CT pool. I think it broke a few biological warfare treaties.

Big thanks to Casey and the CT staff for making it such a great weekend; to Otto & Baby Doe (and Vander!) for putting on such a great event; to DrZ for the fantastic drinks Thursday night; to all the vendors who sweated it out all day in the heat to bring us your wonderful goods; to Johnny Velour and his amazing ceramics; to Tiki Bird for the excellent mango beer; to all the great bands, especially The Fisherman, who simply brought it; to AlnShely for all their aloha and 135 (and to Bone Girl for leaving 135) and to so many great people that made The Pineapple's 1 year anniversay celebration so much fun.

Special shout-out to Mrs Pineapple for putting up with me for a whole year

Without further ado, here's a little taste of 135:

www.tikibot.com/misc/135_convert.mov

(shot on Canon S400 digital camera in movie mode). More movies coming soon....

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 1:09 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Casey the Reef is absolutely awesome, first rate, thanks for everything. Otto, FANTASTIC EVENT. I want to thank Suicide Sam for this KICKASS ARTWORK!!!!!!.

Thanks to ChikiTiki for this KICKASS ARTWORK!!!!!!.

Ape was great!!!!

Tiki Frog

Thanks Derek for squeezing lemons and limes, we appreciate it. Monkeyman and OnaTiki

Maikai Gents Rule the Lanai. Iuka Grog!!!!!

Tiki Bong!!!!! The Smokin' Menehunes sounded fabulous

Kiegs, Mrs. Pineapple, Huma, and Cheeky Girl

ShipwreckJoey!!!!!

Vintage Girl, Drives me Banannas

Gretchen, 2QueerTikis, Pearly Shell

Sabu and the King!!!!!!!!

Martin and Rebecca

Nelva!!!!!!

Z-girl and Tiki Hula

TikiBob!!!!!!

Shelley and want to thank all of you for a fantastic weekend. Special thanks to all who helped stock the bar. See you next year.
Mahalo,
Al

And as the sun sets in the west, Sabu reminds us to have a pleasent Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: Alnshely on 2004-05-11 13:13 ]

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 1:10 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-05-11 08:40, tiki mick wrote:

...but the ambience of the reef bar and the crowd (and the great hawaiian dancer and crazy Al helping to pump things up a bit) made me feel great as I was playing!

FYI -
That GREAT HAWAIIAN DANCER was none other than MS. HAWAII 1971! I think that's pretty cool!

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation