FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 2:07 pm   Permalink

Somebody help me out here - Was I in Palm Springs this weekend?

I've got a few clues that lead me to believe so. For instance, I find that I now have this Munktiki mug in my display case that's shaped kind of like a magnetically suspended pulsed plasma reaction control thruster, minus the weather-stripping, (you know the type), and an inexplicable tattoo of VintageGirl in a banana skirt on my back. The doctor also says that this liquid I have been passing for the past two days is actually pure Martinique Rum.

I also cannot seem to sleep at night for the insane strains of Quiet Village played on a Theremin that keep echoing in my head along with the images of a giant, dancing, shaft-rod-thrusting robot.

My wife is no help at all and will only smile enigmatically at me with a raised eyebrow when I ask her what I did last weekend. She has taken to serving me my dinner dressed in a bikini-top and a sarong and folds my napkins like little origami aloha shirts. I don't know what I did to deserve all this, and I'm not complaining... I'm just curious.

If I really was in Palm Springs this weekend for Tiki Oasis IV then I need to thank the following people:

Doctor Z, Big Al, and the bartenders at the Reef for injecting happy, mood-altering drugs into my body as part of their new Tahitian Noni-Noni Anti-Depression Therapy that I frankly, don't remember paying for.

The Fishermen for playing Thelonius Monk as Exotica and thus triggering the final meltdown of my mind and memory, which my doctor says will return someday. I fired that doctor and got a more favorable diagnosis from my new doctor - Doctor Z. He says I need something called a Sazerac.

Humuhumu for all the great photos of the 1964 Republican Convention that she just posted.

ZuluMagoo for bringing his postcard albums and trading me a bunch of fantastic postcards that will probably save me a hundred dollars in E-bay purchases. All I had to do was trade him a hundred dollars in postcards. What a deal!

Whoever left these great Beachbum Burt's glasses in my suitcase.

My Wife for the recent electrolysis work.

Monkeyman for the stellar effort on the Tiki Central photo board and for bringing enough fresh-squeezed lemon and lime juice for two parties - which limes, by the way, he squeezed individually between his rock-hard biceps.

Someone named Tiki Diablo for this cursed idol around my neck that I last saw safely returned to the sacred burial ground in an old Brady Bunch episode. I like it though - and thus have been willing to put up with the tarantulas that crawl across my pillow all night.

And everybody else who made this event memorable, in the sincerest, hard-to-remember sort of way.

Here are some photos I found in my camera.

Smogbreather

Otto

Monkeyman

Laney

Crazy Al & LuckyDesigns

Tikibelle in a quiet Coffee House in town.

Don't know why she's wearing a tag that says "Shake Me. I Chirp", but it's true. You should try it next time you see her.

ChikiTiki and Poly Pop closing up shop Sunday afternoon.

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-05-11 15:54 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iuka Grogg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 2:10 pm   Permalink

What a great weekend! The Reef: Gorgeous! Martiki's, Al's and Kick The Reverb's drinks: Gorgeous! The Purple Orchid bartenders: Gorgeous! The stage and all it's performers: Gorgeous! Otto and his family: Gorgeous! The complete spirit of aloha: Gorgous! King Kukulele: well...

Thanks for all the compliments on the stylin' shirts that The Gents wore on stage. They were created by the charming and talented Atomic Cocktail especially for The Maikai Gents!

Big MAHALO to all of you who came out to Iuka Grogg's Ukulele Fantasy Camp. We had some fabulously enthusiastic strummers, a super sing-along audience (Milton!), The Fisherman using swizzle sticks to play his solo on plastic cups, and Miss Hawaii dancing hula! WOW! I can't wait for next year's session. More ukes, I say!
Aloha to all the wonderful participants in Tiki Oasis 4.

-Iuka Grogg (EE-YOU-KAH)

[ This Message was edited by: Iuka Grogg on 2004-05-11 14:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Iuka Grogg on 2004-05-11 14:19 ]

View Profile of Iuka Grogg Send a personal message to Iuka Grogg  Email Iuka Grogg Goto the website of Iuka Grogg     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GiantRobotTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-11 2:11 pm   Permalink

Actually, I should have started with this. Kudos to all that were involved in making this a really swell event. I know those involved worked your tails off in making this a memorable event. This was mine and Cheekygirls 1st Oasis, and certainly won't be our last. Many thanks to Al N Shelly for their hospitality. King!!! You're a Kuk!! The best entertainer this side of Echo Park Lake. Otto and babydoe are to be congratulated for such a fine event. Crazy Al and Bamboo Ben are the schiznitz for their creativity. Plus Ben makes a pretty cool "Brutha". All the acts were fantastic and gave us that were too anebriated a reason to hurt ourselves while pogo dancing (Atomic??....... Dude the Pogo was out in the 80's man!!)(but a killer CD snatcher you are!!). What a great venue and a great bunch of people to hang and have good times with. Oh.... before I forget, thanks Florentina for letting me drum away on your new drum. It was very cool. Oh yeah!!! and before I forget (again). Mucho Mahalos to the TikiFrogs that came all the way from near Paris, France to hang with all of us. How did Kuk say it?, "C'est bonne les grande brasseries!!" I think that means, "thanks for the mammories" (had to throw in the Bob Hope twist).

Quote:
On 2004-05-11 00:04, KING KUKULELE wrote:

PS I hereby officially accept the challenge to mud wrestle the bassplayer of the Fisherman Trio...to the death.

Ok folks!!! You heard it here 1st on TikiCentral. We've got our 1st contestants for the 1st annual Tiki Mudfish Wrestling Mania!! Who's next?? Think we could get Don King to promote it!!?? This'll work out perfect too. Anybody with an additude (or just too much alcohol in their bloodstream) can "work out" their frustrations in the Mudfish pit. (hee-hee!!). Did I hear Cherry Capri and the "Bonegirl" wanna "GET IT ON" too!!

Here the pics that we snapped off for the weekend. Hope you all enjoy them!!!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/welcome?i=EeANmbJm3bsmzjo&notag=1&sm=1&sl=1

View Profile of GiantRobotTiki Send a personal message to GiantRobotTiki  Email GiantRobotTiki Goto the website of GiantRobotTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 2:54 pm   Permalink

So that is who the Hawaiian dancer was!

For those who missed her, she was great. Casey, how did she come about being at Oasis? Tell us more about her.

I was mesmerized by her beautiful facial structure and enchanting eyes. High cheek bones and almond shaped eyes. She was full of smiles as if she had not performed in awhile and had found an appreciative audience.

I told her that her dancing was beautiful. What a bonus moment.

TB

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 3:15 pm   Permalink

See everybody, there IS a picture of me. I must have been drunk because I didn't remember taking that pic. I started to sweat Jack in our little booth. The next pic board should have that sign in everyones photo. Thanks for a memory flashback Sabu!

[ This Message was edited by: laney on 2004-05-11 15:17 ]

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 4:13 pm   Permalink

Had a great time! Great venue, music, wares, location, & most of all the people!

Tbird

p.s. got to remember next year to take a 15 minute nap before going to Dr. Z's & Room 135.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 9:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-11 12:17, mrs. pineapple wrote:
Mr. Crafty - you never came by for your painkiller! We love our menu, it's going over our new bar, next to our new ALOHA pineapple sign, near the new mugs,

Mr. & Mrs. Pineapple, my girlfriend and I were so bummed that we could not stop by for a drink because we were so exhausted from the sun and being on the go all day Saturday. We hope the invitation will stand for next year! Looking forward to the ultimate painkiller! Glad you like the drink menu. Thanks!

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 10:06 pm   Permalink

Well, I won't say what's already been said a few times over other than it was, of course, a spectacular weekend once again in Palm Springs. Although, I'm curious to know from a Palm Springs local if the weather was more typical this year or last year at the same time. I remember being cold last year by 10pm, but this year, the nights were great. Didn't even have to worry about being cold in my Jungle Josie costume (although I WAS prepared with a custom-made monkey fur sweater to go with it.) And while I'm on the subject, thanks to all who whooped and hollered for me especially on Saturday night when I was bestowed the Best Savage costume award. There were quite a lot of other creative folks up there with me. But just getting to dress up is still the best part. Of course, a HUGE big fat wet kiss goes to my sweetie Atomic Cocktail (Mr.Monkeypants) for making/designing both costumes for me. (I thought of the banana skirt and he thought of the monkey-fur bra.) Did I also mention that he made Tiki Diablo's shirt for Saturday night as well as all of the Mai Kai Gents shirts for their set.....oh and my shorts and skirts I wore during the weekend? Well, you get the idea. In other words, he's damn talented. (Even the new clothing tag I designed for him made the local news!)

Also, thanks to Humu for sending some of her wild release home with me. (The clothes, guys, the clothes!) To the very patient Mr. DawnTiki for bringing me my food from the Mexican restaurant since I missed half of Ape's show waiting for it. To Mateo (volunteer coordinator extraordinaire) for keeping tight control of rulebreakers on Saturday night. And of course to our most gracious of hosts Al & Shelly. (Maybe they should consider opening their own hotel and make money at what they naturally do so well.)

Hey, speaking of food, that was a great idea to have people going aorund with sandwiches and such for sale. Sometimes there's just so much going on that it's hard to get time to go get a bite to eat. I wonder if they could make a little extra cash by having something like a chinese food stand in the corner of the lanai from sundown on.

Oh, and it all ended with a great ukulele jam during which I got a quick hula lesson from Miss Hawaii herself. Turns out she works at Sam's Seafood dancing in the shows. Her name is Aurora. I hope I can look half that good in my 50s(!) Wish we could get someone like her to perform next year. Here's her website:
http://www.ahawaiianexperience.com/

Anyway, thanks to all who put their time and sweat into putting it together for us to enjoy. It was great to see all (or most) of my Tiki family in one place once again.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 10:23 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2004-05-11 14:54, tikibob wrote:
So that is who the Hawaiian dancer was!

For those who missed her, she was great. Casey, how did she come about being at Oasis? Tell us more about her.

Mahalo tikibob! Our public relations guru, Judy Weigle, books and coordinates (high-end) events and talent all over the country. She has worked with Aurora (Miss Hawaii 1971) for quite some time and we recently became acquainted when discussing the potential for a weekly or monthly luau, with her troup performing--see the link provided by vintagegirl. We are also working on a line of Caliente tropics Resort necklaces with her (similar to what she was selling), to be sold by TikiFarm. She stuck around until Monday, to do the voiceover for a 30 second and a sixty second CTR radio spot, the first of which will air in the Chicago market very soon. She's a sweetheart and a knockout--a very cool lady!

[ This Message was edited by: CaseyJ@Calientetropics.com on 2004-05-11 22:24 ]

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Travellin' Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-11 11:09 pm   Permalink

Whew! Just crawled off the greyhound in Vancouver, Canada but it was worth it for my first Tiki Oasis.

Just have a few words of thanks for Casey & others, especially those who provided shade, water, friendly smiles & advice about sunscreen when I decided to risk spontaneous human combustion to man my vending booth on Saturday & Sunday. You'll all be happy to know that other than a mildly pink nose, there was not a touch of sunburn on my entire body. My skin has retained its bluish undertone and no one will ever guess I spent the weekend in a South Seas Paradise.

Thanks also to the organizers, entertainers (King Kuke, I nearly died from laughing too hard at some of your on-stage antics), vendors, customers, friendly faces, hotel staff, and everyone else who made the weekend what it was. (Also, many thanks to my trusty chauffeur for getting me and my stuff to and from Palm Springs in one piece! I couldn't have done it without you.)

Casey, I *loved* The Reef (I took many pictures which will no doubt inspire future artwork) and thanks again so much for displaying my framed prints there for the weekend. Hopefully next year I'll be able to stay at the Tropics and get the full experience!

Guess that's it. Had a blast and will be back next year. Hope to see some of you at the Northwest Tiki Crawl!

View Profile of Travellin' Tiki Send a personal message to Travellin' Tiki  Email Travellin' Tiki Goto the website of Travellin' Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidrummer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-05-11 11:17 pm   Permalink

Howdy,

Just wanted to thank all of you. We had a great time playing this weekend. It was truly the perfect end to our SoCal tour, and awfully relaxing.

Thanks Suicide Sam for those clips. I still think that the East Coast won that battle; but either way, we'll be back!

King Kukulele, thanks for letting me and the Fisherman crash at you're place on Friday night. We were almost homeless! And I'm sure that our bass player Kyle would mud wrestle you to the death. I think it would be really funny to watch two lenky white dudes go at it in a pile of mud!

And Crazy Al, thanks again for letting the band crash at your pad for a few days. It was truly appreciated.

Anyway, we had a great time, and it was really nice to have met all of you. I'm sure we'll be back out on the West Coast causing mass hysteria again soon. If any of you ever come out to New York, be sure to stop in and say hi. We play every Monday night at:
Otto's Shrunken Head
538 E. 14th St. & Ave. B, Manhattan
(9pm - 1 am / FREE)

Anyway, what else is there to say after making an unsolicited plug for your band...

...see ya'll soon!!

--tikidrummer
Fisherman's Vibraphonic Trio
http://www.fishermansburlesque.com

p.s.-- if anyone has any video footage or photos of The Fisherman Trio performing at Oasis, or earlier in the week, please let me know... we'd like to stick it up on our website. We we're having so much fun that we forgot to document it!

farbermeister@hotmail.com

View Profile of tikidrummer Send a personal message to tikidrummer  Goto the website of tikidrummer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 12:12 am   Permalink

Mrs.Pug and myself hanging in Dr. Z's room on Thursday.

Mrs. Pineapple and Humuhumu gettin' freaky

Bamboo Ben will advertise anywhere

DawnTiki and her new Tiki Backpack

Mrs. TikiPug and Iuka and the TC Meet-N-Greet

I bet that hurt when TikiBot pulled of his name tag

VintageGirl and CheekyGilr @ the TC Meet-N-Greet

Kilikopela, Sugar Caddy Daddy & Mig

Crazy Al

KukuiNut aka Mrs. Baxdog

TikiBird and Utopian Dream behind a giggling Mrs. TikiPug and Z Girl

All the mixologists preparing for the Zombie taste-off

The crowd at the Zombie taste-off

VintageGirl and SuicideSam

Shelly & CheekyGirl getting friendly

Atomic Cocktail taking a siesta on the oh-so-comfortable sidewalk

Johnnie Velour and Lady V enjoying dinner??

Crazy Al Longstocking

The King has the devil in him

Me & Otto

ChikiTiki showing off his mugs

Johnnie Velour showing off his bowls as Lady V looks on

Wes (House Of Tiki) & Mrs. TikiPug

"Head Honcho" Holden

Miss Hawaii 1971 dancing to the sounds of the Smokin Menehunes

Cherry Capri poses in front of a Bamboo Ben bar

Fisherman and the King

The MaiKai Gents & The Mysterious Miss Mauna Loa

Bamboo Ben gettin' down during Ape's set

Mrs. TikiPug and BaxDog

An impromtu version of Pearly Shells

The good Doctor making drinks for everyone

Floratina getting some shut-eye

The infamous beachball makes an encore performance

Saturday night at Room 135

Lady V, Mrs TikiPug and Johhnie V

[ This Message was edited by: TikiPug on 2004-05-12 00:20 ]

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 08:55 am   Permalink

Thanks for reading my rant --

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: PolynesianPop 2010-04-27 22:36 ]

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 09:17 am   Permalink

I would L O V E to see Aurora Napua Kaawa, the former Miss Hawaii 1971 back again. I find myself day dreaming about her a couple of times per day.

What a class act and I bet she would love to perform with any of the bands (can you imagine her with APE??? She would probably shake her hips off).

Oh, we will have to invite her to 135 too. God, I can't wait till next year!

TB

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-05-12 09:24 am   Permalink

Pop,

Why must you always criticize so much? (just kidding).

I agree with all of Poly Pop's items of discussion, except for the pet one because I belive Baxdog should be allowed anywhere.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation