FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?
tikibob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 1:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-12 12:37, Conga Mike wrote:
I disagree about the burlesque acts. Although it's not strictly Tiki (in the Aloha context) it has been adopted by the Tiki movement as a form of Exotica.

I wonder which adoption agency the "party mix" CD girl is from?

It is when the fringes of Exotica start detracting from the original (i.e. Tiki/Polynesian) Exotica that problems start.

I do think that the public area events should not be PG-13. At at a vactaion event like this, 9 - 10 o'clock it not real late for the kids. It would be nice if they could attend the events without being exposed to acts that are unappropriate.

Just my two cents and not meaning to flame anyone or topic.

TB

View Profile of tikibob Send a personal message to tikibob  Email tikibob Goto the website of tikibob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 1:48 pm   Permalink

Ahh hell!

At least Jimmy Buffett did not appear on the main stage!!!!! That's the point where I would have gotten up and driven home!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 2:12 pm   Permalink

In my heart of hearts, I really do believe that Tiki Oasis (for me) couldn't have been much better. However, I didn't have anything stolen, I didn't have kids, and I live in an area that gives me as much tiki as I want, pretty much. I can understand some of the feedback, though.

I think the parking passes for those staying in the hotel is a great idea. I don't know what the turnout was for the M Modern event was like, but I know one reason I didn't head over there was that I didn't want to lose my parking spot. Is there a nearby parking lot that could be rented for non-hotel guests?

Ice is probably trickier -- I doubt those ice machines are capable of keeping up with us. Mig & I bought a cheap cooler & a copule bags of ice at the grocery store, and that worked really well.

I'm torn on the vendors -- overall I really liked the larger vendor area this year, and people did a great job making their booths visually interesting. But I REALLY didn't that couple strolling around pushing (heavily) their craptacular glittery Buffet-esque parrot sunglasses. And the folks with the fez-shaped booth may have had some neat stuff, but I stayed away because of their aggressive barking. If I'm interested in your product, I'll come to you, don't hassle me. And there was a truck/booth just outside the Reef bar/Outrigger building that didn't seem to be selling anything special -- same crap I could find in a bad mall. Those three things made Oasis feel a bit more commercial than it probably was, and detracted from the folks who were selling quality items.

My biggest feedback would have to be on the "futuristic tiki" theme. I understand the desire to shake it up after years of throwing the same event, so I tried to withhold my judgement until the event to see how it would play out, but the only theme I feel is necessary is Tiki -- straight Polynesian Pop. I agree that it strayed too far (for my personal taste) away from Polynesian Pop. However, it's up to Otto how he wants to theme the event, and maybe it turned out exactly as he wanted. No matter what, when our group gets together, we bring the tiki, so I didn't feel like it was a huge issue, but too much of it could really shift the tone of the weekend for future. The major difference I see between Oasis & Hukilau is that Oasis is much more of a party atmosphere (and it attracts more of my So Cal 'ohana), and Hukilau feels like a bit more of a pure Polynesian Pop experience, due largely to the Mai Kai. I don't necessarily expect that to change.

On the burlesque front: the celebration of the female form is a huge part of Polynesian Pop to me, from the semi-nude figures found on ephemera to the Mystery Girls and the Mai Kai calendar, and the smoothing of Bamboo Ben stickers over lovely bouncing busoms. I LOVE the idea of hiring some more traditional dancing troupes, but if the burlesque performers could keep in the theme of Tiki (via music or costumes), that would do the trick for me.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 2:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-12 14:12, Humuhumu wrote:
On the burlesque front: the celebration of the female form is a huge part of Polynesian Pop to me, from the semi-nude figures found on ephemera to the Mystery Girls and the Mai Kai calendar, and the smoothing of Bamboo Ben stickers over lovely bouncing busoms.

I agree that the female form is a part of Polynesian Pop but I would call it a stretch to call the Mai Kai Mystery Girl a burlesque dancer. Please note, that the burlesque dancers that performed at TO-IV did not even closely resemble any form of Polynesian Pop.

I guess what bothered my so much is that I heard through the grapevine that the Friki Tikis couldn't be fit into the budget so that the burlesque dancers could be accomodated. That didn't make sense to me as the Friki Tikis seemed more fitting to the Tiki Oasis theme/crowd than a pair of burlesque dancers.

Personally, at a venue like Tiki Oasis I would have rather seen King Kuku play with the Friki Tikis for an hour than watch 2 burlesque dancers perform at 3 minutes each.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 2:57 pm   Permalink

I too would like to see Hula and Firedancers!

But, I especially agree with the parking! One pass per room! I had to unload stuff after being stuck in hours of construction traffic and we couldn't find a spot anywhere near our room.

Saturday and Sunday, I was joking that I would have made more money with a couple of snack vending machines in my booth.
CASEY, maybe a snack and an ice cream bar vending machine in the room you ususally have the breakfast would bring in a fortune! I know if I'm at a booth all day or even lounging in the pool I dread getting out to go get something to eat. Everyone gets the munchies while swimming-especially kids! $$$$$$

[ This Message was edited by: laney on 2004-05-12 15:00 ]

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 3:15 pm   Permalink

[quote]

On the burlesque front: the celebration of the female form is a huge part of Polynesian Pop
(qoute)

Well said !! Where would Tiki culture be without the Mai Kai mystery girl or the jungle princesses of Exotica albums. I thought the exotica burlesque acts provided a well timed break between the musical sets.
With regard to the PG -fication of this otherwise adult alcohol-based event, the calendar was available ahead of time and those parents who would feel uncomfortable about the burlesque acts could decide for themselves to leave at the appropriate time (or take their kids to the pool during that set) Come on guys !! I'm not trying to be insenstitive to those parents with kids, but we cannot plan our fun/lives etc according to what's appropriate for children!

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 3:16 pm   Permalink

Oh yea, my other gripe is that Humu gave away the dress I told her I'd trade for-whatever! (she said she'd keep me in mind on her shopping sprees)

Thanks Shelly for the two beauties! I owe you guys a Raphis. I'll get one from my parents yard, they have many nice potted Raphis that need splitting. I'm so bummed I missed the party but passed out im my room after the show Sat. Cory tried to get me up but I wasn't movin! That won't happen again.

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 3:41 pm   Permalink

Conga Mike wrote
Quote:
not trying to be insenstitive to those parents with kids, but we cannot plan our fun/lives etc according to what's appropriate for children

I would have liked to have seen some more Polynesian dancers thrown onto the bill. My concern isn't the so called PG-13 factor "cuz" there was nothing PG-13 about the Seksu Roba video. Just let the adults who have children at the event, in on what they are about to have on stage so the parents can take the proper action according to their own belief system. I overheard one of the burlesque dancers telling someone how odd and awkward it was to be performing on stage while there are all these 7 year olds in the front row watching her every move. But since she was there to do her job, she just put it out of her mind.

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-05-12 15:47 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 3:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-12 12:34, Monkeyman wrote:

We had a great time but I grew tired of people who consistently mooched free alcohol from others with no type of reciprocity.

There were a couple of guys who were having a bachelor party & were staying at the oasis & one kept coming over to Z's room for drinks. I guess i thought that everybody staying at oasis was from TC, kinda bums me out that their was a large number of TC peps on the waiting list to stay at Oasis but this guy got a room. Oh well...

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-05-12 4:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

With regard to the PG -fication of this otherwise adult alcohol-based event, the calendar was available ahead of time and those parents who would feel uncomfortable about the burlesque acts could decide for themselves to leave at the appropriate time (or take their kids to the pool during that set) Come on guys !! I'm not trying to be insenstitive to those parents with kids, but we cannot plan our fun/lives etc according to what's appropriate for children!

As a parent of stellar kids, I thought nothing wrong with letting my daughters watch the burlesque gals.

Shielding children from anything but violence serves no purpose; it only sets them up for a rude awakening upon adulthood.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FattMatt

Posted: 2004-05-12 4:04 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

The Oasis was a paradise as usual. Thanks to all who let me barge unanounced into your parties and annoy you with my melodica and my ice-bucket guiro. Next year I'll learn some actual songs and maybe we can have more of a proper Jam--Fisherman, you must stay set up (or re-set up) for some after-party self-indulgence.

The reef looks amazing. The bartenders were ample and great. And DJ Cali's set by the pool Sunday was quite sweet. (I'll save my minor criticisms for the appropriate thread.)

It was a pleasure to meet those of you I met, and perhaps next year I'll meet some more.

Otherwise, maybe I'll see some of you at the Tiki Ti some day.

View Profile of FattMatt Send a personal message to FattMatt  Email FattMatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 4:19 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2009-07-27 10:37 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 4:23 pm   Permalink

I'm a big fan of burlesque and have atteneded every Teaseorama so far. But honestly I would rather see gorgeus girls doing something that was at least island related. Not necessarily tiki but at least something tropical to go with the whole style of the weekend. The first girl that did the dance in a Marttiki glass was tropical I guess but I thought was such a ripp off of Catherine D'Lish's champagne glass bit that I was actually kind of pissed watching it. I mean she even tried to hit a few of Catherine's famous poses inside the glass.

Ginger Goldmine is very hot but I didn't see how her valkyre act really had anything to do with the tiki theme of the night. As Sven has pointed out before our whole tiki thing isn't purley about Hawaiian Tikis so much as it is about the influence of South Seas on American pop culture especially during the late 50's and early 60's, still it seems like there should be something tropical to any act going up. I love burlesque and would have loved to see Ginger Goldmine do a routine revolving around Pele the fire god, or something like that.

As far as the kids situation, that's a tricky one. I don't think the hay day of tiki much worried about kids. Those were more swinger times alla Austin Powers. Maybe the acts that get too blue could get set up for the very end of the night and something get put on the program to let the parents know or something. I don't think Tiki Oasis should be PG 13 at all but if it's going to be labeled as a family event it should probably be appropraite for the whole family. Although I would personally prefer for it not to be labeled as a family event so people were just allowed have a grown up party but then again I don't have kids so my view is kind of partisan toward that side.

I didn't really understand what the future thing was about. I was just happy to be at Tiki Oasis so I just kind of ignored it.

The only thing I found really annoying was the conitouns problems with te sound guy. SOme mics worked some didn't, monitors were way up, seemed like it took all night to get that figured out. It was very noticeable during Lushy's set, which sucks cause teh singer from Lushy has such a great voice.

With all the vendors I don't really imagine that there is anything that could be done about the parking. I parked behind the hotel and stayed there all weekend. The ice machines being empty was a little annoying but understandable. I heard people had stuff stolen and that sucks.

I think that to a point maybe we are just having growing pains. There were twice as many vendors this year, and just lots more people at the show. On Saturday I kind of found myself asking, who are these people, I've never seen them before, where did they come from? Next year I'm sure there will be more people in attendace and more vendors. I just hope we don't keep straying further from the Tiki theme. And we will have to continue to decide wether we want an event that we can have a sinfully good time at, or an event that will be good for the whole family. As the event gets bigger it is no longer our thing and we'll have to deal with outsiders coming in who might steal things or try to push dance patry mix CDs on us. When it was a close knit family if anyone was acting up you could just yell out, "HEY TIKI BONG, STOP BEING A JACK ASS" and that usually settled things (just jivin ya Bong). By Saturday night I only knew maybe half the people at the Oasis. Next year I'll probably know even less than half as things keep growing. Some growth is good though, hell we got The Fisherman in all the way from NY this year, how great was that? I'm sure the vendors sold more this year than any other previous year, and that's gotta be good. Like I said, we're just having growing pains, figureing out what parts of the teh tiki scene growing we like and what parts annoy us. Allot of us used to love moshing, stage diving, and floating. Now we're the ones at shows going, "Hey someone could get hurt".

Whatever nitpicking we are doing now I gotta say this was the most fun I have had all year and will be booking my room for next year as soon as they are available. Thanks to Otto and Casey for doing this show and I can't wait for the next one.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-12 4:23 pm   Permalink

The only contructive thing that I can say is, I WILL be there next year.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FattMatt

Posted: 2004-05-12 4:28 pm   Permalink

I would place one thing above all others--mellow exotic music by the pool.

I think that all of the other craziness going on has distracted from that one key element. Saturday there was no music until what, 3:00? And no speakers by the pool. Worst of all, from the pool one heard two things at once--The truly Smokin' Menehuhes from inside, and the DJ playing some things that were probably on Keri "Bone Girl" French's CD. Not that I mind danceable 60s French pop, but exotica would be a little more relaxing by the pool, and I would have liked the DJs to go lighter on the jokes and heavier on the mood. I know Otto had a lot to deal with, but I would have been happy to set up the tables myself early Saturday and Sunday and fill the earlier part of the day with soft, pure exotica and polynesian.

Another point, at all costs the slide show and the real film projector should be restored. Preferably manned by Sven and Kevin, but with or without them.

To weigh in on others' points: Parking passes would be good. More ice: good. I love the idea of polynesian acts (fire probably wouldn't be possible), and I didn't like Seksu Roba's sound (apparently I missed something by not watching the stage show), but I wouldn't get too bitterly purist about it. I like the burlesque, but would gladly sacrifice one or two acts for some Hawaiian dancers or another great band.

The uke jam was very nice--mellow and enjoyable. How about hula lessons??? Personally I would prefer these more authentic events over hula hoops, origami shirts, and costume contests. But over all, I just hope that Otto doesn't feel pressured to put on a bunch of distracting events. To me, the whole thing is about soft music by the pool in a beautiful environment, with like-minded people.

All that said, Otto, I can't thank you enough for what you do for us. The Tiki Oasis is always a supreme pleasure, and there were many notable improvements this year.

View Profile of FattMatt Send a personal message to FattMatt  Email FattMatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation