FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Elvis or Beatles ??
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Elvis or Beatles ??
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-16 3:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-16 14:43, Raffertiki wrote:

Oh, and the song for the first dance at my wedding was "Something."

I played "I can't help falling in love" on the ukulele at mine.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-16 3:15 pm   Permalink

This discussion is a no-brainer, john lennon is famously quoted as having said "before Elvis there was nothing".
Even the Beatles are for Elvis.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-16 5:09 pm   Permalink

Elvis! His Sun Records stuff is in my opinion some of the best music ever recorded! E was the epitome of cool in his early days as well as the poster boy for bad taste in the 70's but either way he was great in entirely different ways! I've always equated the Beatles with the steady downturn in post-war America's optimism and innocence. Historians would say JFK's assassination was what really shattered America's squeaky-clean persona, but to me...it was those damn mop-haired boys from Liverpool!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-16 10:40 pm   Permalink

ELVIS...by a nose!

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 07:11 am   Permalink

everyone except michael j. fox has a little bit of elvis in them...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Bob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 07:19 am   Permalink

ELVIS...all day long!

View Profile of Bamboo Bob Send a personal message to Bamboo Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 09:23 am   Permalink

Wait. We're not talking about Costello here are we?

I honestly can't think of a better Elvis than Costello.

-g-

View Profile of liabungalo Send a personal message to liabungalo  Email liabungalo Goto the website of liabungalo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 10:40 am   Permalink

Beatles by a hair.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 10:47 am   Permalink

the way i figure it, it's not so much a weighing of the relative merits of the two choices against each other. it's more of a gut feeling, which "vibe" moves you more. like looney tunes vs. disney. coke vs. pepsi. the world would be less rich if one of the options were gone, but if there was only once choice, i can feel what it would be if the choice were mine.

enough metaphysical $#!+ from me.

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-05-17 11:34 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 11:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-16 15:15, atomictonytiki wrote:
john lennon is famously quoted as having said "before Elvis there was nothing".

But then, they were the Beatles.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 11:12 am   Permalink

Certainly Elvis's contribution to rock & roll cannot be denied. He was an outstanding singer and performer and even the Beatles have said his influence on them was without measure. The Beatles, however, pushed the envelope of pop music and moved it from a passing craze to an art form. Their songwriting has stood the test of time for 40 years and continues to be studied and revered. So, it's The Beatles for me.

Did Elvis ever record a song he'd written? Did he ever write a song? Just curious.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 12:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-17 11:12, Juno wrote:
The Beatles, however, pushed the envelope of pop music and moved it from a passing craze to an art form.

Yes and it was then all started to go wrong

Rock'n'roll 1966

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 12:57 pm   Permalink

The beatles always make me think of a cold, grey english winter...and a sad imitation of black music!!!!

I am a crazy person, obviously, but I think the Beatles suck..completely!

They were the death of all great lounge, jazz, jazz pop, bossa nova..in short, everything that was ever cool before 1963 was eradicated by those four guys!!!!

They started all the trends that suck..like the whole hippie movement (which is as anti-tiki as can be!)

The beatles did not drink mai-tais!!!

Now Elvis.....that guy was great!!!!! Real soul!!! Real class!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 1:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-05-17 12:57, tiki mick wrote:

The beatles did not drink mai-tais!!!

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-05-17 13:04 ]

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-17 1:47 pm   Permalink

anecdote :

While playing his ukulele at a party one evening, George Harrison was approached by a beautiful groupie. "Come on upstairs with me luv," said Harrison, "and give me a blow job." The girl obediently followed Harrison upstairs...

"The entire time I sucked him off," she later complained, "he kept playing that damned ukulele!"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation