FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Baltimore's Hawaiian Room at the Emerson Hotel - MAJOR DEVELOPMENT!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Baltimore's Hawaiian Room at the Emerson Hotel - MAJOR DEVELOPMENT!!!
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-23 10:16 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-13 12:05 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-24 05:27 am   Permalink

Now here's a question... If you notice on the menu the Bamboo Punch was served in a Kon-Tiki mug...does anyone have one of the Kon-Tiki mugs with a Hawaiian Room logo on the back?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-01 6:07 pm   Permalink

This is kinda cool - my mom ran the Hawaiian Room past my aunt who is a few years older than her. My aunt said she has a picture of her and 3 of her friends at the Hawaiian Room! My mom remembered that she had gotten rid of a lot of photos when she retired and moved to Florida about 10 years ago and asked her if she thought she still had it - my aunt told her she knew she still had it because she remembered that she looked good in the photo! Well, my aunt called last night and confirmed that she found the picture and was mailing it to me! Now, I can't vouch for what we're going to see in the picture but, from what I've been told it's 4 women in a booth with tiki drinks in front of them...sounds promising. Now if she'd only been a good aunt and snapped a couple photos of the breathtaking tropical outpost that was the Emerson Hotel's Hawaiian Room then we'd have cause to celebrate! Nonetheless, the photo will be framed and take its place on the wall beside the 8X10 of my grandparents at their local watering hole circa 1943 (when a crab cake cost $.50, as the sign says)...I'll keep everyone posted!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 07:34 am   Permalink

Also of note...I got this article from the Baltimore Sun last night...it only dealt with how great the food was at the Emerson but it included a later photo of the hotel. I nearly flipped out when I saw it... my wife thinks I need my head examined!

...if we zoom in on the building, beneath the big marquee w/ Hotel Emerson you'll notice a smaller sign beneath it...

I couldn't get the photo to reproduce very well but it says Hawaiian Room with other text which is unreadable.

I'm going to see if I can get a decent copy of the file photo...

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 07:37 am   Permalink

dude man you are a man possessed... very cool... the image that pops into my head is deckard examining the photo in blade runner...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 08:28 am   Permalink

Johnny $ - I'm starting to notice an odd similarity to Michelangelo Antonioni's "Blow-up." The only difference is that I'm not a Mod fashion photographer in 60's London who thinks he's taken a picture of a murder...

I'm starting to wonder myself if I'm wasting my time going through all this trouble doing all this research. I think a lot of people who initially read this thread have stopped doing so because it has strayed too far from the fun aspect of tiki and become more like a dusty archaelogical dig...

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 08:51 am   Permalink

keep the faith man, urban archaeology, like any archaeology, may be a small percent of 'exciting' field work and alot of lab and book work. you're getting there.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 09:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-02 08:28, johntiki wrote:
Johnny $ - I'm starting to notice an odd similarity to Michelangelo Antonioni's "Blow-up." The only difference is that I'm not a Mod fashion photographer in 60's London who thinks he's taken a picture of a murder...

...And Pablus doesn't smash his Ukulele at the end of his set...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 1:16 pm   Permalink

No, man, keep it up! It's very cool, both that the place existed, but even more, that it means something to YOU and that you're making headway!

I'd keep reading this post even if it weren't about a tiki site, or even if weren't by someone I know and like. But the two things together make it a pleasure to read

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 4:51 pm   Permalink

Take heart, just cause we're not posting doesn't mean that we have lost interest. I have been following each new post. This is so interesting, each new post I look to see what new tidbit has been uncovered.
Good luck to you!

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg Brady

Posted: 2005-03-02 5:31 pm   Permalink

This is an interesting topic, you can't quit now. Keep us posted.

View Profile of Greg Brady Send a personal message to Greg Brady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 9:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement - that is just what I needed! I wanted to make sure I still had people interested in whatever may be the end result!

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-02 9:30 pm   Permalink

I wish that I had your drive and passion. Dont quit, it is only going to get better. And besides I have learned alot on how to research lost bars here.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 11:17 pm   Permalink

Okay, so I get the photo from my aunt - the one that she thought had her and some friends at a table w/tiki drinks...well it turns out the tiki drinks were really bowling trophies and the way everyone is crammed into frame to take this picture eliminates any real chance of seeing what was happening in the background. But, this is as close as I've come to actually setting my eyes on the decor and it's pretty cool nonetheless. You do notice two carved smiley face thingees, I hesitate to refer to them as tikis, directly behind Ellie and Mary, who are standing, and between Donna and my Aunt Doris who are seated. Also over Ellie's shoulder you'll notice a ship's wheel mirror - that possibly means there must have been some nautical touches. In pencil on the back, besides the names, is "Emerson Hotel Bowling League 1962."

Oh well...it's a start I guess. So without further ado It's my pleasure to introduce the first (and hopefully not the last) glimpse of the Hawaiian Room interior - seen by tikiphile eyes for the first time in 43 years!

The search continues!!

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 05:55 am   Permalink

john, regardless of tiki content, that photo says more about my hometown than several books
mahalo for sharing! j$

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation