FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Baltimore's Hawaiian Room at the Emerson Hotel - MAJOR DEVELOPMENT!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Baltimore's Hawaiian Room at the Emerson Hotel - MAJOR DEVELOPMENT!!!
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 9:05 pm   Permalink

wow! looking forward to more!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 9:09 pm   Permalink

Wow! My hands were shaking as I scrolled down! The Hawaiian Room looks better than I ever imagined! Cocoanutz you've made my year! Keep 'em coming!!

...and if possible... could you post a pic of the swizzle stick as well?

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 06:10 am   Permalink

the bottom of the photo is stamped "photo by jack goldstein" - i wonder if he's still around and still has the negatives? a guick google came up with nothing.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 12:32 pm   Permalink

Nice sleuthing Johnny... I'll check on that angle.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 6:52 pm   Permalink

I've come up with nothing on Jack Goldstein as well...

cocoanutz

Posted: 2007-04-23 7:16 pm   Permalink

Sorry for the delay in posting other pictures but the photo albums are in total disarray. The tape holding the pix in place has kind of worn off since 1962! So we're trying to match captions with photos. I just tried scanning a photo but I got a scanner error message, of course.

johntiki, the photo of my dad doing the fire knife dance is not the Hawaiian Room at the Emerson, my mom says that was some establishment in Phoenix, AZ. You had asked if that was the Hawaiian Room.

I was trying to get a good photo of the swizzle stick but then I noticed on Johnny Dollar's blog a nice clear shot of it. The non-Moai one is the one I have. I thought Johnny said those were photos of your collection. Speaking of collection, my mom dug up a monkey pod pu-pu tray with sterno center that was from the Hawaiian Room. It had no hotel markings on it and it was slightly broken. I'm sure many PolyPop restaurants had these same ones.

One other item, the guy running our May 6 luau said he has tickets and if any of you are interested you can call Al @ 410-789-1007 or cell 443-848-1708. This is a Sunday afternoon 1pm-5pm event at the Lansdowne American Legion Hall. I don't know the ticket prices. Hawaiian music first hour, floor show second hour and then contemporary dance music thirdf and fourth hours. Al would have other details.

View Profile of cocoanutz Send a personal message to cocoanutz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 12:11 pm   Permalink

Take your time Cocoanutz - you've got me eagerly checking Tiki Central on a daily basis for the first time in over a year and a half and the anticipation of additional images has got me giddy.

So I was right in questioning whether or not that photo was from the Hawaiian Room! I knew it would have been too easy to track down the illusive photographic proof with one article in the Baltimore Sun! When you posted the first image here I knew that they weren't the same places - the Hawaiian Room looks as if it had a more intimate feel, the other photo looked like the interior of an A-frame with the high ceiling.

Johnny $ was correct in attributing the mugs, matchbook and Moai swizzle to me but the non-Moai swizzle is the one item I've yet to add to the collection! I know I'll come across one sooner or later... damnit!

Double damnit - I wouldn't be able to attend the event on May 6th - I will be in Ireland for a wedding and won't get back until the 7th! I will definitely be up to come out and catch the show any other time in the near future so pleeeease keep us informed!

cocoanutz

Posted: 2007-04-24 7:15 pm   Permalink

Here's another photo of the Emerson Hotel Hawaiian Room, this one's in color but smaller! Sorry. The first was an 8x10.

Here's a photo of a matchbook cover, it shows the bar! The swizzle stick was trying to get in the picture.

What a place this must have been. Let's recreate it!

View Profile of cocoanutz Send a personal message to cocoanutz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 9:20 pm   Permalink

If you'll excuse my language... holy crap!! Now I can add that matchbook to my wants list - this is exactly the type of item I've been dying to locate and was thoroughly convinced was never made! I'm in awe... keep 'em coming!

Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-25 10:43 am   Permalink

i would love to do a high-resolution scan of that matchbook image and blow it up... see if we can categorize the decor...

tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-04 6:18 pm   Permalink

I just bought a bunch of swizzel sticks at a flea market today. One was from the Hawaiian Room Emerson Hotel.

View Profile of tikicar Send a personal message to tikicar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-05 05:54 am   Permalink

cool, tikicar, with york being as direct a shot from baltimore as it is, i would not be surprised if there is more hawaiian room swag buried away up there...

tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-06 02:36 am   Permalink

I have been at the Carlisle auto swap meet all week. I was walking down one isle and this lady has all these beer signs, so I thought I would look. I walk to the other side of her tent and she has thousands of swizzle sticks. I ask her if she has any tiki, polonesian, hawaii etc. She says yes. These 5 glasses are the tiki ones. Anyway I bought 37. One was the Emerson. Some others are kahiki, kon tiki, disneyland united airlines tikigardens, and others I never heard of. I will shoot a picture of it on Sunday and post it for you. The lettering is faint but there. If it wasn't for this post I wouldn't have know about the Hawaiian Room. As I was looking and read it I thought cool! On the next row a guy brought in over 30 Tikis from California. Carved out of palms. A few were tradional KU the others had more modern styling with big toungs and surfboards etc. They were cool don't get me wrong I just liked the more tradional which as of yesterday I was the only one who bought that style. I got one that is 5 ft tall. I would have never guess I would be buying Tiki stuff at Carlisle. Later, Scott

View Profile of tikicar Send a personal message to tikicar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-13 3:41 pm   Permalink

Here is a picture of the stir

rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-16 9:29 pm   Permalink

Vern & Johntiki had posted some of this before, but on the occasion of William Zantzinger's recent passing I thought it might be worthy of posting again.

Small addition, although not directly tiki, to the history of the Emerson Hotel: it's where William Zantzinger struck Hattie Carroll with his cane, which may have led to her death. The story is most familiar to music fans as Bob Dylan's song "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll." The song is a powerful indictment of racism and privilege, and Zantzinger regretted not taking action against Dylan for his portrayal in it:

"William Zanzinger** killed poor Hattie Carroll
With a cane that he twirled around his diamond ring finger
At a Baltimore hotel society gath'rin'"
**note: Dylan purposely misspelled William's last name, presumably to avoid legal action.

Zantzinger died in early January 2009, as recounted in this article in the UK's Telegraph. This obituary gives a balanced view of the crime and far more detail than the song:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/4224527/William-Zantzinger.html

The previous posters did note that there's no evidence that this event had anything to do with the Hawaiian Room. Although the song doesn't mention the Emerson or Hawaiian Room by name, it's an interesting side note to tiki/hotel history. You can read the lyrics & listen to the song on Bob's site:
http://www.bobdylan.com/#/songs/lonesome-death-hattie-carroll

~Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation