FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Whanga Rei Bar & Grill, Turlock, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Whanga Rei Bar & Grill, Turlock, CA (restaurant)
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 9:16 pm   Permalink

2 new 10 footers at Whanga Rei

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 9:19 pm   Permalink

right on! its about time they get some permanent tiki going on those premises! where is that first tiki placed jt? was that behind where we were sitting on opening night?

that will definitely make the place that much cooler. im so proud of you vic!

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 9:22 pm   Permalink

Yes, Cleen that's where the first one is. The tongue one is by the entrance to the inside bar. These beckon travelers on the 99 and Taylor Rd. You can see them from the 99.
Why thank you my dear.
Care to join me for a drink Fri. or Sat.?

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-07-21 21:24 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 1:13 pm   Permalink

Way to go Jungle Trader. those are Big and Awesome. Can't wait to see the inside.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiwilad

Posted: 2004-07-23 3:16 pm   Permalink

What A Laugh! Tried to move away from Whanga's NZ as it is affectionally known & it popped up again only minutes away.
I live in Tracy, CA (30 mins drive from Whanga rei)but grew up in "Whangarei", New Zealand.
I will have to come over and check it out!
Haere ra!

Here is the article I spotted in the NZ national paper:

It's a small world after all! "Whangarei" is now only minutes drive from Tracy.
-Tim

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3580067&thesection=news&thesubsection=general&thesecondsubsection=

'Whanga Rei' becomes safe place to dine in US

By JON STOKES maori issues reporter
An American has not let accuracy get in the way of moves to open a Maori-themed restaurant in California.

Californian Jeff Thompson has opened a family restaurant in Turlock, about 80km east of San Francisco, named Whanga Rei.

In a news report in the Turlock Journal Mr Thompson said he liked the name Whanga Rei, for its connotations of safety and protection for travellers.

"Basically, Whanga Rei is a safe harbour," he said.

Mr Thompson has decorated his restaurant with "the symbols of New Zealand's tribal group, the Maori", in the form of giant tiki.

While impressed by the appreciation for Maori culture, Waikato university senior Maori lecturer Tom Roa said he was surprised by the unusual use of the word Whangarei.

Mr Roa said the area was named after Rei Pae, who was abandoned at the site by her twin sister Rei Tu during a journey on the back of a giant bird from Waikato to be with their husband-to-be, Ue-oneone. He said the name had since been shortened from Te Whanga a Rei, or the wait of Rei.

However, word meanings can change when separated. Rei can mean whale bone, treasure and to grimace with teeth, and whanga, harbour, waiting or to wait.

Restaurant customers will no doubt prefer a safe harbour to waiting with grimaced teeth

[ This Message was edited by: kiwilad on 2004-07-23 15:38 ]

View Profile of kiwilad Send a personal message to kiwilad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 10:11 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC kiwilad. Please join me for a drink this coming weekend, if you can, at Whanga Rei. Bring any design ideas you have. I'd like to pick your brain.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-07-25 22:14 ]

theronpk
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-07-28 1:19 pm   Permalink

sounds like a very cool restaurant, I assmue it's now open...I might be comming up the 99 this weekend, I'd love to stop by for a drink. anyone know the phone number?
T

View Profile of theronpk Send a personal message to theronpk  Email theronpk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-28 4:23 pm   Permalink

Congrats, thats really cool to have a story in a NZ paper. way to go and WELCOME KiwiLad enjoy our site.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart on 2004-07-28 19:59 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-28 6:49 pm   Permalink

theronpk, let me know when you're coming up, I'll be there Friday night. I inserted the phone number for Whanga Rei on the original post above.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-28 7:03 pm   Permalink

Funny article. I love how words come to mean many different things, and when taken out of context (like the language itself) a string of beautiful words to one ear, is total nonsense to another. That being said...

JT, are you going to safe harbor to wait with grimaced teeth?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-29 7:27 pm   Permalink

Grimaced teeth? No, hanging tongue maybe.

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-10 7:24 pm   Permalink

My latest at Whango zee Tango

Now here we have Chongolio's surfboard art gracing the hallowed Whanga Whanga Bar with lovely....I'll call her "From Russia with Love"

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-10 8:40 pm   Permalink

JT love the new guy you have placed there, wow is he awesome, and I like the Chongolio bar board and the bar broad ain't so bad to look at either.

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-10 11:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-10 19:24, Jungle Trader wrote:
Now here we have Chongolio's surfboard art gracing the hallowed Whanga Whanga Bar

There's a surf board in the picture?

(That's a beauty Randy! Oh ya. and the surf board too.)

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-11 1:28 pm   Permalink

Hey, that board looks pretty good up there. Thanks for postin' the pic JT.

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation